An Old School Catholic Message Board

Latin Responses During Mass

emilier98

Only a handful of seminarians where I go to school know any Latin. Their bishops aren't requiring it, as a way of getting around having to offer the Latin masses in their dioceses. So our Dean of Theology has been saying mass on Wednesdays in the school chapel where he does all his parts in the Latin. It sounds like opera when he does it. He's a good Italian, and often sings opera walking down the halls, which is good because he can never sneak up on any of us. We always hear him coming. I think he is hoping that it will stick with the seminarians, and some will ask to learn the mass parts. He can't force them to, but if they request it, he can offer it.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1300321390' post='2221294']
Don't know. I haven't seen on the site yet that it states such. But isn't that the missal that the extraordinary form follows?
[/quote]
We're talking about the Novus Ordo in Latin. This site is the T.L.M..

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1300335904' post='2221342']
We're talking about the Novus Ordo in Latin. This site is the T.L.M..
[/quote]

[left]Yes. I think this site would help understand why the Latin responses in the Novus Ordo mass. Someone attending mass that everything is spoken in English, but then wonder why these certain parts are in Latin. If I were a convert, especially a new convert, I would wonder why we are doing these responses in Latin, but not others or all for that matter. This site is a tutorial of the Latin Mass for the Novus Ordo generation, which typically have never experienced the Latin Mass. Very informative and can wash away some ignorance people have regarding the Latin Mass. It did for me.
[/left]