An Old School Catholic Message Board

"saintly Sisters," Nun Dolls!

LadyOfSorrows

OnlySunshine

Those are too cute! I love them all, especially the Sisters of Life one. I wish they made one for the Sister Servants. :like:

I went to an old church building - no longer an active parish, but kind of like a museum - where they had dolls dressed in the habits of like 75 orders. Very interesting.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1301457378' post='2224608']
[url="http://www.saintlysisters.com/saintlysistershome.html"]http://www.saintlysi...istershome.html[/url]
:dance:
[/quote]

They're in Rock Hill, SC. We used to run a hospital there. We had to give it up in the 50s, but the sisters who had served there always had fond memories of it.

Nun Dolls are hot items. Someone actually took two of our nun dolls from our vocation display when we were at the FOCUS conference in Denver. (it could have been anyone in the hotel.) Now I have to figure out a pattern for them. Ugh.

If you're in the Chicago area, they have a great collection of nun dolls at the Marytown retreat center in Libertyville north of Chicago.

Edited by Sister Rose Therese

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

These are adorable! I find it interesting that both websites included the Sisters of Life! Thanks for the links.

I have heard of a "Nun Doll Museum" - I WANT to say it is in the Midwest somewhere. Has anybody been there? That would be a wonderful fun family pilgrimage!

Pax,

TradMom

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TradMom' timestamp='1301509569' post='2224734']

These are adorable! I find it interesting that both websites included the Sisters of Life! Thanks for the links.

I have heard of a "Nun Doll Museum" - I WANT to say it is in the Midwest somewhere. Has anybody been there? That would be a wonderful fun family pilgrimage!

Pax,

TradMom
[/quote]

The Nun Doll Museum is in St. Louis, MO. My friend went there when she was visiting the order she entered (and subsequently left).

MargaretTeresa

How precious!!!! Love those! It seems like something fun to try to make yourself with Hobby Lobby's help, haha.

Pax and God bless!

FutureSister2009

Pax,

TradMom
[/quote]

Nun Doll Museum, never thought I would want to go to a place like that but I do! :blush:

I guess I'm really in the minority here.

1. I love the fact that sisters with habits are highlighted with dolls. Its a wonderful way to spread the word of religious life and to encourage young women to consider consecrated life.

but

2. I don't like that baby dolls are used for these dolls. I would much prefer a more realistic presentation of nuns. Blessings Dolls used dolls that looked like adults. Those dolls portrayed the sisters with dignity. I think the baby dolls give an inaccurate and childish image of nuns.

However, I do appreciate the efforts of this company to honor religious women. I just wish they wouldn't use baby dolls to do it.

just my $0.2

blessings, linnie

Pax,

TradMom
[/quote]
The place I went - the old church that's now a museum - is in a suburb of St. Louis. The place is called Old St. Ferdinand Shrine and it's in Florissant, MO. It has a convent built in 1819 when St. Philippine Duchesne came to the area, a church built in 1821, and a rectory. Between the church & rectory is a room that's used as a musem - in the museum is a display cabinet with like 75 dolls (adults!) in nun habits, including some for orders founded in the 20th century - they wore business suits typical of the day, and hats, and sensible shoes. The collection goes all the way up to Missionaries of Charity, who dress like the women of India (but color coded for Mary).