An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Most Beautiful Habit You've Ever Seen?

FutureSister2009

FutureSister2009

I'm taking this question from the Catholic Answers Forum even though I didn't start it. Does anyone have a favorite habit that they've seen? I've got several. First and foremost, the Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary (Of course) :clapping: Next would be the Carmelites, Followed by the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters. Pink is my favorite color and I never knew of an Order with a pink habit until I began discerning. If I felt like I was called to a cloistered Order, I'd join them or the Carmelites. And my other favorite is The Missionaries of Charity.

Adding another question. What Order did St. Bernadette join and does it still exist? I feel like I should know this but I don't.

MargaretTeresa

St. Bernadette belonged to the Sisters of Charity of Nevers, France. If you simply Google Sisters of Charity of Nevers, the website should pop straight up. However, the website is mostly abt St. Bernadette, and not about the actual sisters, from what I can tell.

Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity wrote that Jesus recognizes a Carmelite by her heart and I would guess that applies to other Orders as well. St Gemma Galgani never wore the Passionist habit in this life even though she dearly wanted to. It was hers only in death yet her whole life sanctified her ordinary clothes as each of ours should. The habit is the icing on the cake and if the heart under the cloth is rancid then do the clothes matter? If the heart is holy and pure everything around it will be sanctified even if the body is in rags or stripped totally as Jesus was. Thus the most beautiful habit is the one God sees which is a heart adorned for Him with virtues. Asking Mary to help you dress spiritually is surely to provide the finest things one can wear and the most pleasing to the One who matters. Also to be covered by Marys mantle :love:

Lil'Monster

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1302032205' post='2226178']
Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity wrote that Jesus recognizes a Carmelite by her heart and I would guess that applies to other Orders as well. St Gemma Galgani never wore the Passionist habit in this life even though she dearly wanted to. It was hers only in death yet her whole life sanctified her ordinary clothes as each of ours should. The habit is the icing on the cake and if the heart under the cloth is rancid then do the clothes matter? If the heart is holy and pure everything around it will be sanctified even if the body is in rags or stripped totally as Jesus was. Thus the most beautiful habit is the one God sees which is a heart adorned for Him with virtues. Asking Mary to help you dress spiritually is surely to provide the finest things one can wear and the most pleasing to the One who matters. Also to be covered by Marys mantle :love:
[/quote]

WOW that was beautiful Vee! :like:

dominicansoul

[/quote]

ST. Gemma!!! :love:

I think the FSI veil makes them look like a Princess. :)

The Holy Father has a beautiful, white habit.

I'm starting to like the dominican/franciscan mix habit of the SsEW.

MargaretTeresa

[/quote]

It's so pretty...I must cry... :cry:

Who are the Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary?

(And I agree, [b]vee[/b], that was lovely!)

Edited by MithLuin

sistersintigo

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1302035291' post='2226215']
Who are the Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary?
[/quote]

Are they a different congregation of sisters
than the one with the St Maximilian Kolbe charism?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I like the ones with color and also ones with an emblem embroidered on them...

Like the [url="http://www.nunsforpriests.org/"]Handmaids of the Precious Blood[/url], the S[url="http://www.sisterspreciousblood.org/images/aurelia_small1.jpg"]ister Adorers of the Precious Blood[/url], the [url="http://www.perpetualadorationsisters.com/whoweare.aspx"]Sisters of Perpetual Adoration[/url], and the [url="http://www.trinitariansofmary.org/Vocations.html"]Trinitarians of Mary[/url], just to name a few.

The Norbertine Cannonesses have a beautiful habit and so do the and Carthusians & Cistercians. The [url="http://www.sacredheartsisters.org/index.html"]Sister Servants of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus[/url] also have a stunning habit. There is also a red and blue one that I remember seeing, but I don't remember which community it belonged to.

Gosh, there are so many beautiful habits, it's nearly impossible to choose just one! I'm happy God picked [url="http://rockfordpoorclares.org/"]one[/url] out for me, lol

Totally Franciscan

My all-time favorite is the old Maryknoll habit. Remember Bernie Becomes a Nun? My next favorite would be the Poor Clare Colletine.

FutureSister2009

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1302038081' post='2226237']
Are they a different congregation of sisters
than the one with the St Maximilian Kolbe charism?
[/quote]

Oye. No one knows who they are and it's disheartening. :wall: They do follow the St. Maximilian Kolbe charism. They're only the best Order ever in my biassed opinion. They are the Order I am discerning with. They teach, do nursing, work in shrines and do secretarial work. I know I honestly did not know about them until two Sisters were sent to my Parish. They're amazing. Please see my profile picture for an idea of their habit.

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1302051135' post='2226286']
Oye. No one knows who they are and it's disheartening. :wall: They do follow the St. Maximilian Kolbe charism. They're only the best Order ever in my biassed opinion. They are the Order I am discerning with. They teach, do nursing, work in shrines and do secretarial work. I know I honestly did not know about them until two Sisters were sent to my Parish. They're amazing. Please see my profile picture for an idea of their habit.
[/quote]

Do they have a website? If not, why not? If you know the Sisters personally, perhaps they will welcome a suggestion from you that they create one! :) They seem like a beautiful community, I'm sure [i]many[/i] people on VS would love to know more.