An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Most Beautiful Habit You've Ever Seen?

FutureSister2009

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1302686436' post='2228119']
Yes, you are correct, my IHMs are not related to these IHMs. My IHMs are related to the Monroe IHMs and the Scranton IHMs - but we are three distinct congregations. We have a common history/founding but were split apart early in our history and developed independently. There are so many congregations using IHM. Usually the best way to figure us out is that we are "[b]Sisters, Servants[/b] of the Immaculate Heart of Mary." I don't know that there are any other IHMs with "Sisters, Servants."

Sister Marie

[/quote]

Thanks! I kept hearing about these three congregations (but no others) and my impression was that "IHM" was WAY more common than that. :crazy:

Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Thread hijack over, back to ooohing over habits, everybody. :)

For myself, I like functional habits that you can move in. I remember in "Dead Man Walking" Sister Helen Prejean talks about their "full-habit" days when one of her Sisters was in a sewing store and felt a series of small tugs at her veil and turned around to see a very embarrassed woman who had mistaken her (from the back) for a bolt of fabric!

:shock: rotfl

Also, the RSCJs (the Sisters who taught Teresa of the Andes) used to have a ruffle framing their face -- which took HOURS to set just right -- seriously it would take one of their lay sisters a day a week to be preparing them for the choir sisters. (Not sure if those are exactly the right terms for an active order, but the same idea.) After that distinction was abolished and they were reconsidering "who we are and what we do" and all that, the choice came down to "well we could spend Saturday mornings setting ruffles, or we could use a drastically simplified veil and use Saturday mornings teaching literacy classes" that seemed to be a slam-dunk. They subsequently stopped using a habit altogether, which is a different issue, but ditching the ruffles makes sense to me.

I am growing in apprecation of the value of a uniform as a clear and obvious visible sign that you are set apart for God, but for me, the attraction of spending hours setting ruffles, or being mistaken for a bolt of fabric, this would wear off quickly.

InPersonaChriste

Visitation nuns and the Benedictine Habit.

I dont like the Dominican habit because I cannot stand to wear an easily staining piece of material. I am such a slob, if you wear a dark habit it wont look stained :D

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1302652931' post='2227983']
Who are they?
[/quote]

Benedictines of Mary Queen of the Apostles nuns. They are based out of Kansas www.benedictinesofmary.org

Lil'Monster

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1302730850' post='2228390']

I dont like the Dominican habit because I cannot stand to wear an easily staining piece of material. I am such a slob, if you wear a dark habit it wont look stained :D
[/quote]

rotfl

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1302730850' post='2228390']

[/quote]

Apparently they don't actually stain that easy. I have a friend that was a DSMME postulant and she says they just use Dawn and a toothbrush to get the stuff out and you never see them with a stain on their habit. Oh and I have a friend that is a friar and he is super sloppy and his habit isn't stained. Plus Dominican habit is amesome and gorgeous.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1302731150' post='2228393']
Apparently they don't actually stain that easy. I have a friend that was a DSMME postulant and she says they just use Dawn and a toothbrush to get the stuff out and you never see them with a stain on their habit. Oh and I have a friend that is a friar and he is super sloppy and his habit isn't stained. Plus Dominican habit is amesome and gorgeous.
[/quote]

I just dont like the white. I find that it is just to distracting for me. I like to wear dark colors and the colors of Mary. I am actually wearing all blue today... odd :D

Lil'Monster

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1302731596' post='2228400']
I just dont like the white. I find that it is just to distracting for me. I like to wear dark colors and the colors of Mary. I am actually wearing all blue today... odd :D
[/quote]

yes we all know ur odd hahahaha but im the most oddest person here though lol

OnlySunshine

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1302731596' post='2228400']
[/quote]

I wore all blue yesterday. Hehe! :crazy:

Groo the Wanderer

One that is actually WORN...not like the fake nuns with their 'this thing around my neck is my habit' carp

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1302746771' post='2228489']
One that is actually WORN...not like the fake nuns with their 'this thing around my neck is my habit' carp
[/quote]

Wow, that's rude

• 11 months later...
Sister Marie

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1302746771' post='2228489']
[/quote]

You do realize that those "fake" nuns have that written in their Rules and approved by the Vatican, right? It's usually not a good sign when someone puts himself or herself above the authority of the Church.

MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1302032205' post='2226178']
Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity wrote that Jesus recognizes a Carmelite by her heart and I would guess that applies to other Orders as well. St Gemma Galgani never wore the Passionist habit in this life even though she dearly wanted to. It was hers only in death yet her whole life sanctified her ordinary clothes as each of ours should. The habit is the icing on the cake and if the heart under the cloth is rancid then do the clothes matter? If the heart is holy and pure everything around it will be sanctified even if the body is in rags or stripped totally as Jesus was. Thus the most beautiful habit is the one God sees which is a heart adorned for Him with virtues. Asking Mary to help you dress spiritually is surely to provide the finest things one can wear and the most pleasing to the One who matters. Also to be covered by Marys mantle :love:
[/quote]

:love:

MarysLittleFlower

I agree that we shouldn't look down on nuns who have simpler habits or wear no habits at all, that being said, I do love habits :) and if I ever enter religious life, I wouldn't choose an order based on the habit.

However I've always loved the Carmelite, Passionist, and Benedictine habits :) Dominican ones are very nice too.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Mary's Margaret

"...the most beautiful habit is the one God sees which is a heart adorned for Him with virtues."

MLF thank you for bringing Vee8's post forward: it's beautiful.