An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Veils For Women

FutureSister2009

Church Veils for Women  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FutureSister2009

We all know that back in the old days, women were required to keep their heads covered during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Nowadays, we do see some people still wear the chapel veils for Mass, especially the Latin Mass. I want to wear one but my family thinks they look stupid. Bear in mind, this is the same family that is against my becoming a Sister. So what is everyone's opinion on them?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&client=safari&rls=en&q=+site:phatmass.com+www.phatmass.com+viels#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=active&client=safari&rls=en&source=hp&q=site:phatmass.com+www.phatmass.com+veils&aq=f&aqi=&aql=f&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9f1cee15cd8c0900&safe=on

I guess there [i]are [/i]a thousand threads on chapel veils... :hehe2:

However, this is a topic I like to discuss so I don't mind another one about it. :like:

Since Lent began, I have been wearing my chapel veil always in the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament, whether it be for Mass, or Stations, etc. I had been somewhat "spotty" in my wearing it before then, even though an extremely generous member of the Pham sent me one to use. In the convent where I was a member for five years, most of the women in the congregation who came to Sunday Mass wore one. There was always a "debate" amongst people; I know all the pros and cons of wearing one, and I had been torn as to whether or not I should wear one once I came out of the convent. Do it because it shows respect to Jesus? Don't do it because it would make you stand out and possibly make people uncomfortable? Are you truly trying to be pious, or are you just trying to [i]look[/i] pious to other people?

What it boiled down to was this for me: I feel called to wear it. For me, it is a simple act of respect to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament that, in some small way, helps to make atonement for the VAST number of liturgical abuses, and the blatant disrespect or lack of belief that is shown to the Holy Sacrament of the Altar. It also helps with humility; I [i]hate[/i] standing out, and when I do I feel very embarrassed. My husband had no opinion either way, but now that I wear it he encourages me in it and actually rather likes it.

The postulants at the Nashville Dominicans wear one in Chapel because it reminds them to "put on Jesus Christ," as St. Paul says. For me, I find it helps me focus on praying better when I'm in church. So, those reasons are why I wear one. :)

Don't worry about what other people think. That's not the point, anyway. Jesus is pleased at your little sacrifice for Him, and for our part, we just need to keep trying to make ourselves [i]worthy[/i] to wear the veil in His Presence.

MissScripture

I like this thread being in here. It's a no debate zone.

Actually, it was a thread on PM that got me thinking about wearing a chapel veil. I have to almost every Mass now, since I got married. Like CherieMadame, it's something I feel called to do. It's a reminder to me to focus. I wore it off and on for a while, but have been consistently since I got married (so for just over a year). At first, it was just at my parish, and I never did when I was at home with my parents. But now I wear it almost all the time. The only times I don't are when I forget it.

Surprisingly, I only had 2 "awkward" moments with it, and neither one of them were bad. One time was when my grandpa asked why I would wear it, and when I gave a brief explanation we moved on. The other time was shortly after several ladies started wearing them at my parish, and one of the ladies stopped after Mass and thanked me for wearing one as well. That was mostly awkward, because what do you say? So we just smiled awkwardly at each other for like 10 seconds and then she walked away. LOL. Honestly, I feel a little weird walking into a church without one on, like I'm not fully clothed.

FutureSister2009

I finally got two of them. I haven't worn them yet but I'm going to start breaking into it, especially with Holy Week coming up.

Nihil Obstat

Veils are amesome, and it makes me so happy when I see a woman wearing one, especially young ladies. It's such a great witness to our faith, and to reverence before Christ.

Even though, at most parishes, exteriorly I stand out while wearing one, it makes me feel interiorly that I am hidden - as Mary was hidden, & as Christ is hidden in God.

Nihil Obstat

[14] You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid.
[15] Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house.
[16] So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302298331' post='2226965']
[15] Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house.
[16] So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
[/quote]

This.

If people notice me wearing my veil, as I'm sure some have, it might cause them to question their own sense of piety and reverence and maybe encourage them to be more prayerful. This is a good reason why, [i]especially[/i], I think the "pros" far outweigh any "cons" in a parish where the congregation seems somewhat lacking in Faith, or at least lacking in religious decorum (i.e. most people wear jeans and a t-shirt to Mass...). Something so small [i]can[/i] really make a big difference!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302298331' post='2226965']
[/quote]

I'm confused - was this in response to my comment or just a general statement? Because the hiddeness I was talking about is spiritual....

If it wasn't in response to me, then I agree that it's a beautiful description of wearing a veil for God's glory. In fact, by veiling, it's truly our glory that is hidden so God's can be more visible. He is the source of all beauty and goodness - the true Light - and I think this is one thing a woman is saying by covering her head.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1302308442' post='2226989']
I'm confused - was this in response to my comment or just a general statement? Because the hiddeness I was talking about is spiritual....

If it wasn't in response to me, then I agree that it's a beautiful description of wearing a veil for God's glory. In fact, by veiling, it's truly our glory that is hidden so God's can be more visible. He is the source of all beauty and goodness - the true Light - and I think this is one thing a woman is saying by covering her head.
[/quote]
Not specifically in response to you. I only skimmed your post, then suddenly this passage popped into my head, so I went searching for it. :P

TeresaBenedicta

I'd like to veil, but I don't doing so would be prudent in my situation. Either that or I'm too cowardly.

It's so beautiful, though. :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1302321598' post='2227019']
Not specifically in response to you. I only skimmed your post, then suddenly this passage popped into my head, so I went searching for it. :P
[/quote]

That's kind of what I thought... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

FutureSister2009

I was wearing my new one this weekend and it felt great. I didn't even feel worried about what anyone thought, except for my pastor. It felt appropriate. I want to get a pink one and a blue one too.