An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Veils For Women

FutureSister2009

Church Veils for Women  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1302327350' post='2227025']
I'd like to veil, but I don't doing so would be prudent in my situation. Either that or I'm too cowardly.

It's so beautiful, though. :)
[/quote]

I feel the same way. Perhaps once I graduate and move to a new parish it is something I will do regardless. I hope that my devotion to the Lord will inspire someone else to deepen their devotion. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

MissScripture

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1302578979' post='2227701']
I feel the same way. Perhaps once I graduate and move to a new parish it is something I will do regardless. I hope that my devotion to the Lord will inspire someone else to deepen their devotion. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]
I was uber uncomfortable doing it in the parish I grew up in for a long time. I started at the parish I joined in college long before I would dare in the one I grew up in. This was partly because I knew at least one other person at the college parish veiled and partly because no one really knew me there. :paperbag:

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1302579321' post='2227707']
I was uber uncomfortable doing it in the parish I grew up in for a long time. I started at the parish I joined in college long before I would dare in the one I grew up in. This was partly because I knew at least one other person at the college parish veiled and partly because no one really knew me there. :paperbag:
[/quote]

See, we're small enough here that I know most all the college kids who go to the 5 pm Mass when I do. None of them veil. And i don't know about the church at home; I haven't been there in a long time!

JulianofLdn

I've felt quite ambivalent about this subject for a while; but the church I've started attending has a number of women who veil. I'm starting to see it as devout, as a way of drawing closer to Christ during Mass; there's something interior and personal about it, I guess. So I've ordered my first church veil and I'll do no doubt wibble and wobble for a few weeks before I finally take the step to wear it!

They do look lovely, though.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I have a veil or two, but I have never really worked up the courage to wear one at Mass at my parish though. I have worn it when visiting monasteries and even sometimes when I was in Ukraine. I like this site though with 'sneaky' ways to veil: http://catholicknight.blogspot.com/2009/01/are-you-shy-about-wearing-chapel-veil.html

I once left my hood up from my hoodie once at Mass and that really felt awkward for me. Plus, I'm sure I looked like a weirdo hobo.

elizabeth09

Do not feel like a hobo, because they are coming back, just slowly. I think more and more yough Cathloics women are starting/getting back to wearing them. I feel a little out of place when I am at an English mass because my mom, sisters and I will be the only ones wearing one. At a Latin Mass, my mom, sisters, and I are not the only ones. Even though I never been ask why I wear one, I know soon I will.

Since this is a positive topic about veiling, I'm going to just add some links to places I think have pretty headcoverings.

[url="http://www.veilsbylily.com/"]Veils by Lily[/url]

[url="http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/"]Garlands of Grace[/url]

I have a couple scarfy things and a snood by them. And now I see they've added a lace snood! :o

[url="http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/"]Headcoverings by Devorah[/url]

[url="http://www.coveryourhair.com/"]Cover Your Hair[/url]

A wide variety of not-too-fancy things.

[url="http://www.rosamysticamantilla.com/"]Rosa Mystica Mantilla[/url]

[url="http://promultismedia.net/chapelveils.html"]Pro Multis Media[/url]

Apparently the new distributor for veils from Halo Works, which had (has?) a lot of beautiful veils.

Also, you can search for mantillas, chapel veils, snoods, scarves, etc. on Etsy. Note that on Etsy, you'll get a lot of results for wedding mantillas. Which should remind you of another beautiful reason to veil... the Holy Mass is a foreshadowing of the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, and the Church is Christ's Bride :love: As women, we can symbolize this beautiful mystery by doing such a simple thing like covering our heads during Mass. I think this is an a.wesome gift and privilege God has given to women.

MissScripture

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1302581945' post='2227729']
See, we're small enough here that I know most all the college kids who go to the 5 pm Mass when I do. None of them veil. And i don't know about the church at home; I haven't been there in a long time!
[/quote]
By "college parish" I was really just referring to the one I joined while in college. There were very few college kids who actually went there, because most of them just went on campus, and this church was in town.

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1302646700' post='2227922']
I feel the hoodie and baseball cap options are just awkward anyway, lol
[/quote]
I have once done the hoodie thing, because I forgot my veil. It did feel awkward...but less awkward then nothing, strangely. lol.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1302655644' post='2228002']
By "college parish" I was really just referring to the one I joined while in college. There were very few college kids who actually went there, because most of them just went on campus, and this church was in town.

[/quote]

By college parish, I mean the one in town as well, seeing as we are completely encompassed by the city. We are too small to have our own on campus. It helps the church is right outside the campus gates. :)

Our church is very small. We are now building an education building for stuff like Sunday school because the basement is only one large room and the nursery. We have our Catholic Campus Ministry at a bar on the Square, which is funny since the modeled the new version of CCM are Theology on Tap. rotfl (get it bar...tap...yeah)

I'm gonna have to look into veils though, for real. :) Some of the older ladies at the 9 am Mass might wear them...

abrideofChrist

I'm all for veiling women--- as long as we go back to other good customs such as separating men and women in church as well:

Canon 1262, ยง 1 (Old 1917 Code of Canon Law- this is no longer a requirement in the 1983 Code of Canon Law):
[indent] 1. It is desirable that, consistent with ancient discipline, women be separated from men in church.

2. Men, in a church or outside a church, while they are assisting at sacred rites, shall be bare-headed, unless the approved mores of the people or peculiar circumstances of things determine otherwise; women, however, shall have a covered head and be modestly dressed, especially when they approach the table of the Lord.

[/indent]Fasting from midnight for Holy Communion is another excellent practice. We should do that too because it was the law at one point in the Church.

FYI- I am no feminist, but I was stunned when I visited the Basilica of St. Agnes where they explained that the main floor was reserved in the early centuries for the men, and the balconies around the church on the second "floor" were for the women. It was as if they considered women to be such temptresses that they had to have them out of sight and out of mind. I am grateful that we do not follow that custom of separating men and women nor that of the no longer mandatory veiling anymore.

Edited by abrideofChrist

[quote name='abrideofChrist' timestamp='1302736603' post='2228431']
I'm all for veiling women--- as long as we go back to other good customs such as separating men and women in church as well:

etc.
[/quote]

Not the same. No one thinks they are equal.

I don't mean to be rude, but maybe you didn't notice that this isn't a debate... if it were, it would've been placed in the debate thread.

Those who choose to veil or those curious about why others do it are allowed to discuss this aspect of their spirituality in the Transmundane Lane (which has serious spirituality in parenthesis and the description of not having debate in the topics) without having to debate someone who disagrees.

I say this with all respect to your opinion. And because I don't want to get in a debate about this and was enjoying reading and participating in a nice, positive discussion about veiling with others [i]without[/i] having to constantly defend that viewpoint. We don't get that too often.....

Hmmmm... so after reading your post again, abrideofChrist, I'm trying to see it as maybe you're just wondering about the practice and weren't trying to debate and you would like to hear an actual explanation of why veiling is different from separating women from men in worship. Is that right? Would you like me to try to answer such a question? I could try as best as I could.... There's really a lot of beautiful symbolism behind this that, even if you decide not to veil, it's always good to deepen our knowledge of spiritual things.

So I'm sorry if I've accused you trying to start a debate if you were seriously just wanting to have a better explanation of the practice.