An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Veils For Women

FutureSister2009

Church Veils for Women  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1310778675' post='2268011']
I have worn scarves for ages now but would love a proper mantilla. Sadly they are all out of my budget just now :-(
[/quote]

Faith, I have several links for mantillas, and some simple ones aren't hard to make at all.
How big of one are you looking for?

faithcecelia

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1310852415' post='2268334']
Faith, I have several links for mantillas, and some simple ones aren't hard to make at all.
How big of one are you looking for?
[/quote]

I have had a look at the links you sent me, some are lovely. Unfortunately the ones I like best - longer, plainer - are also the most espensive! But I will look out for some suitable fabric to make my own, and maybe start a little business with them!!

Thank you for digging them out, youre a star!:icey:

• 4 weeks later...
LaPetiteSoeur

When I study in France, I'm going to bring a kerchief just in case...more like a bandana but nicer and that I made.

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1303909832' post='2233873']
Originally the postulants [i]did,[/i] but they got confused for professed Sisters, so Mother decided to change it into no veils for them. Personally, that's one thing I would definitely change. I think a veil for a postulant does a lot of good -- I think there's a thread in VS about it that I commented on as to the reasons why I think that.

BTW regarding chapel veils, I was the [i]only one[/i] who had one on for Easter Vigil Mass. It also just happened to be the Mass in which my son decided to have his worst crying fit since he was born -- started after the Gloria and continued until we got home! So, unfortunately that garnered a lot of attention. My husband came to hold Travis in the vestibule after he received Our Lord so that I could do so ... and there I was, with the priest [i]waiting for me -- [/i]I had to scurry along, my chapel veil waving in the wind (thankfully I had it affixed with bobby pins! Otherwise it would have fallen right off!) Sooooo.... not only was I the "lady with the screaming baby," I was, "the weird veil-headed lady with the screaming baby." :lol: Eh, a little bit of needed humiliation! As Mother Teresa said, "You can't be humble without having been humiliated!"
[/quote]

Oh, well that's too bad about the SsEW. :(

How embarrassing about Travis screaming. Have you considered having one parent stay at home with Travis, while one goes to Mass, and then the other parent trade later to another Mass time?

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1313071127' post='2285882']
When I study in France, I'm going to bring a kerchief just in case...more like a bandana but nicer and that I made.
[/quote]

picture???

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1313082787' post='2285960']

picture???
[/quote]

it got lost in the move. :( But when I find it, I'll post pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

I wore mine to Mass for the first time today for the 1st Mass of the school year, and while I was nervous about it, I think it was the right choice! Happy day :)

LaPetiteSoeur

At Mass this evening two girls were wearing veils. I need to work up the guts to wear my bandana things.

MT- My campus church, while wonderful, has some pretty progressive resident parishioners (using God instead of He, etc.). There's also the student parishioners, and I didn't want to seem to be acting "holier than you". But after I kept feeling called to it, I decided to just do it!!!!

Be brave. 1 Chronicles 28:20: [i]"Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.[/i]

Also, this one really got me thinking:

Galatians 1:10: [i]Am I now currying favor with human beings or God? Or am I seeking to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ.[/i]

Good luck!!! Just remember- don't do it for Phatmass, or because you think you have to. On the other hand, don't avoid it because of other people or because no one else is. Do it for the Lord :)

MissScripture

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1314154366' post='2294043']
I don't know if I'm brave enough to wear mine first. :/
[/quote]
I was anxious to wear mine at first, too. It did help that my husband was supportive, so I knew I had at least one person on my "side." But really, no one ever said anything to me, except twice --once after Mass when a woman very awkwardly thanked me for wearing one and I had no idea how to respond, and once after I had worn it for the first time back home and my grandparents were asking why I wore it. And really, if anyone does say anything and ask why, "Because I choose to" is a perfectly legitimate answer.

Also, if you could, pray for me. Next time I go to church with my family, they are going to think I've lost a few screws.

Edited by Lisa

faithcecelia

Prayers for you Lisa.

To those wanting to cover their heads but too nervous to use a veil, I really do recommend trying a scarf or even a hat. I wear a scarf whenever I am out of the house now as I feel thats right for me, and no one has ever commented. Strangely the only time I have ever felt shy and nervous of it was staying at my parents so I was putting it on once I left the house, but even my mother didn't comment. I very much doubt anyone would stare or be funny with you. Then if later you feel a veil is more appropriate for you, then you are already halfway there.

MissScripture

As FaithCecelia mentioned, a scarf or hat is a good way to go, too. When I know that I'm going to be with people who might be uncomfortable with me wearing a veil, I tend to wear a nice hat my sister gave me. I've never had a comment from anyone at all regarding wearing a hat.