An Old School Catholic Message Board

900 Anglicans (60 Priests) Received Into Full Communion

Orans

Some 900 to 1000 Anglicans were received into full communion with the Church over Holy Week in the UK. Among them some 60 priests.

See pictures of some of the groups [url="http://www.ordinariate.org.uk/"]here[/url]

More information [url="http://ordinariateportal.wordpress.com/"]here[/url]

LaPetiteSoeur

That's amesome!

I like this program of Christian Unity that the pope started with the Anglicans! Maybe we could get the Luthurans next...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1303778987' post='2233032']
That's amesome!

I like this program of Christian Unity that the pope started with the Anglicans! Maybe we could get the Luthurans next...
[/quote]
:hehe: I don't know if you realize or not, but some traditional Lutherans already expressed an interest.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1303779084' post='2233036']
:hehe: I don't know if you realize or not, but some traditional Lutherans already expressed an interest.
[/quote]

That would be pretty amesome..

LaPetiteSoeur

[/quote]

Really?? That's great! Then, lets get the Methodists next!

[/quote]
yes, there is an Anglo-Lutheran bishop who attends my parish...they are in the process of coming over...

Debra Little

[quote name='Orans' timestamp='1303693182' post='2231990']
Some 900 to 1000 Anglicans were received into full communion with the Church over Holy Week in the UK. Among them some 60 priests.

See pictures of some of the groups [url="http://www.ordinariate.org.uk/"]here[/url]

More information [url="http://ordinariateportal.wordpress.com/"]here[/url]
[/quote]

very nice

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1303778987' post='2233032']
That's amesome!

[/quote]

Then the Christian Reformed!

*Happy dance*

The disunity between Christians saddens me greatly, how much more then it must sadden the Holy Spirit.

But how great it is when many come back to the flock :) YAY!

thessalonian

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1303705445' post='2232147']
:D Pope Benedict XVI = The Pope of Christian Unity!!!
[/quote]

Thou art Peter and upon this ROCK I will build my Church.

Benedict had a significant role as current pope no doubt. It is the office of the papacy throughout time that shows the CC have the solid foundation Christ spoke of in Matt 16:18, where morality does not change and contraception and homosexuality aren't wrong one year and right the next. As time goes and these liberal protestant denominations become more and more wayward in their morality, those who are open will find a home in the CC and the Pope at that time will be their to see the oportunity for unity.

[quote name='doe-jo' timestamp='1303803708' post='2233297']
It would be amesome if the orthodox rejoins the catholic church also.
[/quote]

2054 or bust ;)

I think that the way Pope Benedict has handled the situation with the Anglicans has been great. It's always beautiful to see people enter the Church, of course, and restoring unity is such a joyful thing.

But 'turf wars' between Christians can be quite ugly, and result in divisiveness. How many Latin American towns have been split up when the well-meaning Protestant missionaries set up their own churches and disregarded the history and culture of the people there? It would be a shame if Catholics had done something similar in England...seeing an opening and 'moving in' without regard for the fall-out. That is probably one of the more significant practical barriers to reunification with the Orthodox in Eastern Europe - the accusations of 'stealing' one another's churches over the years.

But in this case...the TAC had petitioned the Vatican directly for a way to join the Church. They'd expressed their willingness to accept the authority of the pope and the contents of the catechism. The Vatican, of course, did not respond instantly. The pope took the time to make sure the answer provided addressed a lot of key issues, practical as well as spiritual, and even visited England personally first before announcing it. I'm not suggesting that no one in the Church of England is annoyed with how things have played out. But I do think it was handled very sensitively.

In the end, the Church is able to open her doors and invite anyone who is interested to come and enter. It's a very pastoral move.

As for Christian unity, though...I think this means that the remaining Anglicans will be less likely to seek reconciliation with Rome any time soon. We've invited those most amenable to reunification to cross the line and join us. So, while having 1,000 new members of the Church (and that's just in England) is amesome, that's really only a tiny remnant of the Anglicans. Certainly, I'm hoping this group is a 'first wave' and that others will continue to join the Church in years to come. We'll see.

"Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceedingly fine; Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness all He grinds."

I wish I knew who to attribute that quotation to. It's a variation on Longfellow's translation of this German passage,

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich klein
Ob aus Langmut er sich säumet, bringt mit Schärf' er alles ein.
--Friedrich von Logau

but even he got it from Plutarch, apparently.