An Old School Catholic Message Board

900 Anglicans (60 Priests) Received Into Full Communion

Orans

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]:woot:

Papa Benedict, you tha man!!!

IgnatiusofLoyola

If I were Catholic, I might have mixed feelings about this--or maybe not.

Chances are that at least half to three-quarters of those 60 priests are married. And, many Anglican priests who have already been received into the Catholic church are married.

Those priests won't minister solely to ex-Anglicans. Some current Catholics may decide they like the Anglican Use liturgy, or they may simply like the priest or the ex-Anglican parish. And, not all of those 900 Anglicans will stay part of ex-Anglican congregations. They may decide they prefer another parish or may move somewhere where there are no ex-Anglican parishes.

The result: More Catholic priests who are married, and more Catholics who are used to (or who get used to) married priests, and find that a married priest can lead a congregation as well as a celibate priest. (Married priests are like celibate priests in the regard that some are more effective priests than others.)

The "camel now has his nose into the tent" with regard to married priests in the Catholic church.

Is this is a good thing or not? I don't know enough of the Catholic theological tradition regarding priestly celibacy to say for sure. Personally, I'm used to married priests, and think that making celibacy voluntary for diocesan priests might not be a bad thing, although I'm keeping my mind open both ways because I don't pretend to understand all the theology. (In the Anglican church, as in the Catholic, priests in relgious Orders take a vow of celibacy).

Just a subject to mull over. I don't really think Catholic ordination of married priests outside the Anglican exception is going to come within the next few decades, certainly not with this Pope. Still, it's an issue to watch and think about.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1303866504' post='2233716']
If I were Catholic, I might have mixed feelings about this--or maybe not.

Chances are that at least half to three-quarters of those 60 priests are married. And, many Anglican priests who have already been received into the Catholic church are married.

Those priests won't minister solely to ex-Anglicans. Some current Catholics may decide they like the Anglican Use liturgy, or they may simply like the priest or the ex-Anglican parish. And, not all of those 900 Anglicans will stay part of ex-Anglican congregations. They may decide they prefer another parish or may move somewhere where there are no ex-Anglican parishes.

The result: More Catholic priests who are married, and more Catholics who are used to (or who get used to) married priests, and find that a married priest can lead a congregation as well as a celibate priest. (Married priests are like celibate priests in the regard that some are more effective priests than others.)

The "camel now has his nose into the tent" with regard to married priests in the Catholic church.

Is this is a good thing or not? I don't know enough of the Catholic theological tradition regarding priestly celibacy to say for sure. Personally, I'm used to married priests, and think that making celibacy voluntary for diocesan priests might not be a bad thing, although I'm keeping my mind open both ways because I don't pretend to understand all the theology. (In the Anglican church, as in the Catholic, priests in relgious Orders take a vow of celibacy).

Just a subject to mull over. I don't really think Catholic ordination of married priests outside the Anglican exception is going to come within the next few decades, certainly not with this Pope. Still, it's an issue to watch and think about.
[/quote]
Technically we already have a fair number of married priests within the Eastern Churches. :) I have no problem with the concept. I just think it's not right for our Latin Church as a general rule.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1303866600' post='2233717']
Technically we already have a fair number of married priests within the Eastern Churches. :) I have no problem with the concept. I just think it's not right for our Latin Church as a general rule.
[/quote]

Obviously that's true. But, (and I could easily be wrong) I see more potential for "mixing" in the same congregation of ex-Anglican Catholics and cradle Catholics, while "mixing" of Eastern and Roman Catholics in the same congregation is difficult.

And, married priests may not be right for the Latin church as a general rule. I'm still too much of an "infant" in my knowledge of the Latin church to have an educated opinion.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1303866946' post='2233723']
Obviously that's true. But, (and I could easily be wrong) I see more potential for "mixing" in the same congregation of ex-Anglican Catholics and cradle Catholics, while "mixing" of Eastern and Roman Catholics in the same congregation is difficult.

And, married priests may not be right for the Latin church as a general rule. I'm still too much of an "infant" in my knowledge of the Latin church to have an educated opinion.
[/quote]
That's true, and I expect that there will be tension and misunderstandings. However, I think that the benefits so far outweigh the positives in that sense. :)

The strength of the Catholic Church lies with unmarried priests. Wives and children will provide leverage for Satan's attacks on the Church. While married priests are acceptable, they are not preferable. IMHO

[quote name='LuigiZolli' timestamp='1303868623' post='2233737']
The strength of the Catholic Church lies with unmarried priests. Wives and children will provide leverage for Satan's attacks on the Church. While married priests are acceptable, they are not preferable. IMHO
[/quote]

Yes wives and children are only tools of satan!

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1303882063' post='2233839']
Yes wives and children are only tools of satan!
[/quote]

I was thinking targets, rather than tools. If you wanted to attack a priest what better way than kidnapping or threatening harm to his family? IMHO

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='LuigiZolli' timestamp='1303956242' post='2234100']
I was thinking targets, rather than tools. If you wanted to attack a priest what better way than kidnapping or threatening harm to his family? IMHO
[/quote]
What better way to distract him from his priestly duties than by, for instance, striking his wife or children with a sudden disease, just when his parishioners need him most?