An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tornadoes Devastate U.s., Claim 230+ Lives

Paladin D

My thoughts and prayers go out to those devastated by the recent tornadoes that have claimed 230+ lives. Hopefully further damage will be kept to a minimum and that no more lives will be lost.

[size="7"][b]Storm Death Toll Rises to 214 in the South[/b][/size]
[url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/28/violent-storms-kill-83-south/"]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/28/violent-storms-kill-83-south/[/url]

[quote]PLEASANT GROVE, Ala. -- Dozens of tornadoes ripped through the South, flattening homes and businesses and killing at least 214 people in six states in the deadliest outbreak in nearly 40 years.

As day broke Thursday, people in hard-hit Alabama surveyed flattened, debris-strewn neighborhoods and told of pulling bodies from rubble after the storms passed Wednesday afternoon and evening.

"It happened so fast it was unbelievable," said Jerry Stewart, a 63-year-old retired firefighter who was picking through the remains of his son's wrecked home in Pleasant Grove, a suburb of Birmingham. "They said the storm was in Tuscaloosa and it would be here in 15 minutes. And before I knew it, it was here."

He and his wife, along with their daughter and two grandchildren, survived by hiding under their front porch. Friends down the street who did the same weren't so lucky -- Stewart said he pulled out the bodies of two neighbors whose home was ripped off its foundation.

Alabama's state emergency management agency said it had confirmed 131 deaths, while there were 32 in Mississippi, 29 in Tennessee, 13 in Georgia, eight in Virginia and one in Kentucky.[/quote]

Click the link to read more.

Nihil Obstat

Marie-Therese (Peyton) was in a town that was hit, and just beside a town that was devastated. Thank God, she is ok, as is her family, but there is serious damage not even five minutes from her house.

missionseeker

I was watching weather channel vids and no joke, they interviewed these two sisters. One's name was Stormie and the other's was Skye. O.o

[quote name='Paladin D' timestamp='1304007067' post='2234254']
"It happened so fast it was unbelievable," said Jerry Stewart, a 63-year-old retired firefighter who was picking through the remains of his son's wrecked home in Pleasant Grove, a [b]suburb of Birmingham.[/b] "They said the storm was in Tuscaloosa and it would be here in 15 minutes. And before I knew it, it was here."

[/quote]

That scares me. Cherie, that's where the SsEW are located. Are they safe?

Many prayers for those people.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1304008023' post='2234259']
Most of family is in Alabama. :(
[/quote]

Alot of my family is in Alabama too. So far so good...they all escaped injury and damage. I will keep your family in my prayers.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1304011558' post='2234280']
That scares me. Cherie, that's where the SsEW are located. Are they safe?

Many prayers for those people.
[/quote]

Cherie posted on Facebook that the Sisters were not hit, but they are in the town that was. I will be praying that they don't get affected by any more of the storms. :amen:

OnlySunshine

I just read on weather.com that the death toll has risen to [b]267 people[/b]! Alabama accounts for 180 of these lives. This is terrible! Prayers. :amen:

edited: wrong number

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1304018354' post='2234312']
Cherie posted on Facebook that the Sisters were not hit, but they are in the town that was. I will be praying that they don't get affected by any more of the storms. :amen:
[/quote]

Praise God! I saw some footage of what it did to the town. I can see the Sisters were watched over by God.

I hate missing out on y'all on facebook. I'm hoping to join soon; still looking into it...

Maximilianus

Luckily all the really bad stuff bypassed us. Last year a tornado hit eastern Ft. Benning, my dad took me to see the damamge. It looked like a giant took his hands and swiped the woods leaving a swath of stumps... trees were snapped like little twigs.