An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Did All The Juniorates Close Down?

MarieLynn

Can anyone please enlighten me as to why all the Juniorates attached to Religious Orders closed their doors to young aspirants? I would have thought that they had a place post Vat 2, as they were a great place to discern a vocation while completing your last year of High School.

In my case, I spent a year in an Orders' Juniorate when I was 16, and during that year we were exposed to the Order's apostolate, we were taught and followed their Daily Schedule, all the while attending a local Catholic High School to complete our education. We had girls of 13 in the Juniorate right up to 17! I turned 17 towards the end of my year , then after waiting the obligatory 6 months, I entered as a postulant, as did many others, going on to the Novitiate when I was 18.

With fewer vocations today, (they are increasing ) than there were back then, I cannot help wondering, IMHO, why Juniorates do not have a place in today's scheme of things, as they provided the Orders' with a number of vocations. As with anything, not all persevered, I being one of them, but they were a great way of exposing young aspirants to the life and work of a Religious Order, and then if at the end of their training they felt that God was still calling them, the progression to postulant was the natural step..

I realise that today Orders' have 'Come and See' weekends, some even have a 3 month 'live-in', - but not all. I guess you could call the Juniorate 'a year long live-in'.

Just putting in my 2c worth! Would really like to get some feedback tho'.

TeresaBenedicta

It does seem logical... although, there are some issues that come along with such things (I'm thinking about the controversy about minor seminaries). There is the concern about over-pressuring or manipulating or even brain washing.

I also think it's cultural. It's not seen much here in the US but in Argentina it's a whole different story.

My order ([url="http://ssvmusa.org"]the SSVMs[/url]) have "aspirant houses", which is the equivalent of what you are talking about. It's for teenagers/high schoolers who are discerning. Right now they don't have one in the US, but I'm pretty sure that's a work in progress. They have them in Argentina and a few other countries.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1304030293' post='2234354']
It does seem logical... although, there are some issues that come along with such things (I'm thinking about the controversy about minor seminaries). There is the concern about over-pressuring or manipulating or even brain washing.

I also think it's cultural. It's not seen much here in the US but in Argentina it's a whole different story.

My order ([url="http://ssvmusa.org"]the SSVMs[/url]) have "aspirant houses", which is the equivalent of what you are talking about. It's for teenagers/high schoolers who are discerning. Right now they don't have one in the US, but I'm pretty sure that's a work in progress. They have them in Argentina and a few other countries.
[/quote]

Thank you TB. The 'aspirant house' of the SSVM's sounds identical. I feel its a real pity that they are no longer in operation. The NZ Orders' closed their Juniorate doors mid 1970, we had 3 in our City alone, and then postulants to those Orders immediately became fewer and fewer. Perhaps its time to re-invent them? :cry2:

MargaretTeresa

I didn't know such a thing used to be around! I kind of wish wr had those sorts of houses still.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1304030293' post='2234354']

[/quote]

It may be cultural -- the order I was also with (in Argentina) had members (postulants) who were studying in high school. Once they finished high school and reached the appropriate age, they entered the novitiate. Also -- there was one postulant in Mexico that entered at a young age ... she spent years in Mexico while waiting to reach the appropriate age. She also finished her schooling. I *think* she is now in Argentina.

And to add my two cents ... I don't 100% agree with the idea. I think it is better to be a teenager -- to be free to test boundaries with your parents. Testing the boundaries in a religious community is a no-no -- a religious community, you learn obedience freely given. Its a different obedience, in my opinion than that owed to parents. And it is a more serious commitment.

I disagree with having postulants that are younger than 17 (unless they graduated from high school). I also think that a young mind is not as capable of making a firm commitment as one who is say 20. There is a reason why canon law sets age minimums (you have to be 17 in order to enter the novitiate, you must be 18 for temporary profession, and you have to be at least 21 for perpetual profession).

Edited by cmariadiaz

I personally probably wouldn't have entered something like that before age 18, because it seems like you are missing out on growing up and being with relatives. Any thoughts? It just seems quite soon.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1304034088' post='2234376']
It may be cultural -- the order I was also with (in Argentina) had members (postulants) who were studying in high school. Once they finished high school and reached the appropriate age, they entered the novitiate. Also -- there was one postulant in Mexico that entered at a young age ... she spent years in Mexico while waiting to reach the appropriate age. She also finished her schooling. I *think* she is now in Argentina.
[/quote]

I do think culture has a lot to do with it.

I'm no expert on other cultures... but here in the US, any sort of major "life decisions" are encouraged to be put off until one is "older" and "more mature". I mean, consider even those of us who are older (college or graduated)-- even we are told by many to live a few years in the real world before making any sort of commitment. Whether it be marriage or joining religious life, etc. That and the current rise in skepticism about religious education being "brain washing".

In that sense, it's really frowned upon, culturally, to have anything like a minor seminary or aspirant house. I don't know if there are similar attitudes elsewhere, but I'm thinking not. Talking with the SSVMs, who still have a very Argentinian flavor, they are all for young vocations. Right out of high school and even before (within aspirant houses). Contrast that with some pretty solidly "American" orders-- right out of high school vocations are on the rarer side or even discouraged (broad generalization, of course).

OnlySunshine

The Trinitarians of Mary in California run a boarding school for girls who are interested in religious life. It's called a "pre-convent program." I always thought the idea was rather interesting myself, though I probably wouldn't do it since I'd be worried about missing my family.

http://www.trinitariansofmary.org/Vocations.html

Scroll down below the Vocation retreat information.

Sister Pray Always

Juniorate was something entirely different in my congregation. The Juniorate was the time of being in first vows (3 years). Sisters in this phase were known as "Juniors" or "Junior Sisters".

I agree with you that some sort of "pre-convent" or discernment house for young women would be a great thing! We used to have an all girls high school attached to our Motherhouse; many vocations came from the academy. We also need more of us back in the classroom at all levels...religious and priests alike often credit their Sister teachers with inspiring them toward their vocation.

Happy Easter and God bless!

TeresaBenedicta

I think programs like this can be good if run properly. If a young person is inspired to the life, then I see no reason why they can't embrace with conditions according their age. For example, the level obedience would be different for a high school aspirant than it would be for a canonical postulant or novice who is of age. And then level of separation from family would be less stringent than it would be for a canonical postulant or novice. They live religion according to their age and maturity. In some ways I see little difference between and a boarding school of sorts (away from home, in community, stricter rules/way of life than public school) except that, hopefully, it is embraced willingly.

Also remember that technically speaking, these sorts of high school aspirants are not technically members of the institute or religious community. Canon law requires a person to be of legal age in order to become a member.

I don't think it's for everybody (or for every institute of religious life), but I do see a lot of good in it.

Sister Pray Always

OOPS! I forgot to mention that one of my freshmen is discerning religious life and another is discerning priesthood. I know that the girl would LOVE some type of pre-Sister school!:like2:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Sister Pray Always' timestamp='1304035395' post='2234390']
Juniorate was something entirely different in my congregation. The Juniorate was the time of being in first vows (3 years). Sisters in this phase were known as "Juniors" or "Junior Sisters".

I agree with you that some sort of "pre-convent" or discernment house for young women would be a great thing! We used to have an all girls high school attached to our Motherhouse; many vocations came from the academy. We also need more of us back in the classroom at all levels...religious and priests alike often credit their Sister teachers with inspiring them toward their vocation.

[/quote]

It's the same with my future community as well. The Junioriate is for those who have made their first profession and are spending the next three years in study.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1304035562' post='2234393']
I think programs like this can be good if run properly. If a young person is inspired to the life, then I see no reason why they can't embrace with conditions according their age. For example, the level obedience would be different for a high school aspirant than it would be for a canonical postulant or novice who is of age. And then level of separation from family would be less stringent than it would be for a canonical postulant or novice. They live religion according to their age and maturity. In some ways I see little difference between and a boarding school of sorts (away from home, in community, stricter rules/way of life than public school) except that, hopefully, it is embraced willingly.

Also remember that technically speaking, these sorts of high school aspirants are not technically members of the institute or religious community. Canon law requires a person to be of legal age in order to become a member.

I don't think it's for everybody (or for every institute of religious life), but I do see a lot of good in it.
[/quote]

Agreed ... as long as they're not a postulant :). The community I was with made them full fledged postulants with all the expectations as such (I 100% disagree with that).

[quote name='Sister Pray Always' timestamp='1304035395' post='2234390']

[/quote]

(agreed with the term Juniorate -- I do see the OP as referring to a "pre-aspirancy" maybe, or you could even use the aspirancy term here. Juniorate in most orders refers to those who are in temporary vows of 1 - 3 years in nature).

I think we need more religious (and priests) to be around, period. I see only a handful at the parish where I am actively participating at. And at the other parish -- if I'm lucky, I see 1 maybe every 4 or 5 months.

How are we to encourage vocations if they can't be seen? If they're not there to witness to the laity (i.e. those not in vows, yes I know that religious unless they are clergy are "lay" but consecrated to God)?

Edited by cmariadiaz

I guess for me it was just a natural progression. Back then, and I'm going back a bit, Religious Orders started to 'recruit' for vocations when girls were around 15 1/2 - 16yrs old. By the time they saw that maybe you were interested, and they had approached your parents for permission to send you to their Juniorate, most girls were already 16. Then you became known as 'a Junior'. That title stayed with you while you were in the Juniorate, then once you were 17 you were eligible to write your letter asking for acceptance into the postulancy. By the time you actually entered, most girls were at least 171/2 - 18. The Order I entered did not accept postulants under 17 1/2. The 13 yr old, had an older sister who was also in the Juniorate, and the Order made an exception for her, as she missed her older sibling so much. We did get to go home at school holiday times, so it wasn't as though we missed our parents for too long.

I realise times have changed dramatically, and I'll be quite honest and say that had one of my children approached me and asked to go away to a Juniorate at age 16, I would probably have said that they were too young, and didn't know what they wanted. But back in the 60's it was different!! Young people entered religious orders straight from school, it was the way it was! Young girls got married at 17 and 18- that was normal. If you were still unmarried at 21 - you were considered 'an old maid'. LOL.

I still think Juniorates have a lot going for them, maybe not in the same 'form' as they once were. The NZ Juniorate copied the US, and later the Australian models, and the Order did benefit hugely with large numbers of postulants at each intake (15 in mine) It was so sad to see the vocations drop right away when the Juniorates were phased out. Just my thought.