An Old School Catholic Message Board

Affirmative Action

Amppax

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Winchester

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305575149' post='2242446']
[i]That[/i] argument would only hold weight if over half the people in this country could define monolithic.
[/quote]
[img]http://demotivatorsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/touche-my-friend-touche-demotivational-poster-1255897214.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1305573839' post='2242417']
There's way to beaver dam many black dudes playing in the NBA and NFL!
(Especially when one considers that blacks are a minority in the American population at large.)

Obviously, that is due to racism in the NBA and NFL drafts, and government needs to immediately do something to fix this crisis, and stop unfairly depriving white boys of the right to earn multi-million salaries for playing ball!
[/quote]
Most professional athletes are out of the league in a few years. The number of players making huge bank is small, and even those players are only useful for a small window frame until their 30s when their bodies break down and they are no longer useful. While professional athlete salaries are relatively large in comparison to "normal" salaries, athlete salaries are not large in the context of professional sports, where the real power is concentrated in the movers and shakers (owners, corporate sponsors, coaches, etc). Black head coaches have increased, but are still less common than black athletes. And I don't know of any black owners. Athletes are like horses: they use up their bodies until they have to be taken out back and shot. Part of historical racism in America was blacks being objects of sport and amusement for white audiences (in sports, blackface comedy, etc). Some people would argue that tradition continues in professional sports. And of course, the audiences in sports arenas are mostly white.

I note all this not in reference to the topic of this thread (affirmative action), but in reference to the idea that professional sports is an example of extensive black success in American society. The actual "stars" (white or black) in professional sports are very few. And there is not much long-term viability in sports...being a professional athlete is like being a celebrity or winning the lottery...a pipedream for the majority of people. Many athletes get a rude awakening once their career is over and they have no idea how to deal with a "normal" life...being a gladiator was all they knew.

Edited by Era Might

'Monolithic' aside, [b]Era[/b] touches on the true issue - the ones calling the shots in professional sports. That's your power base. And yes, if you have black owners and black head coaches and gee, the entire team is black...people could think that maybe something is going on there. Maybe non-black candidates are being overlooked, etc.

But you honestly don't see too much control by African Americans, and so...

Winchester

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1305579441' post='2242488']
'Monolithic' aside, [b]Era[/b] touches on the true issue - the ones calling the shots in professional sports. That's your power base. And yes, if you have black owners and black head coaches and gee, the entire team is black...people could think that maybe something is going on there. Maybe non-black candidates are being overlooked, etc.

But you honestly don't see too much control by African Americans, and so...
[/quote]
Obviously, personal choices have nothing to do with this.

What if groups of black pro athletes pooled their money and bought teams? Everyone isn't a Michael Jordan, so not all players could buy a team individually, but what exactly is stopping this?

Lack of serious interest is stopping it.

Players are well in control of their own lives. They are not pressed into service.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305572613' post='2242396']True. You do counteract liberty with legislation.[/quote]Liberty to discriminate... I never read that in the Bill of Rights. I wonder why.

Winchester

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1305580453' post='2242494']
Liberty to discriminate... I never read that in the Bill of Rights. I wonder why.
[/quote]
To what degree shall we bar discrimination by law? Felony? Misdemeanor?

You know why you never read it? Because the Bill of Rights wasn't designed to grant permission and codify all human behavior. The Bill of Rights was not designed to create the Authoritarian regime you desire.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305580811' post='2242495']To what degree shall we bar discrimination by law? Felony? Misdemeanor?

You know why you never read it? Because the Bill of Rights wasn't designed to grant permission and codify all human behavior. The Bill of Rights was not designed to create the Authoritarian regime you desire.[/quote]What a horrible person I am, right Winchester? We should all want your closed slave society. We all should discriminate, especially to Catholics, as is the history in the United States. Not everyone should have equal opportunity, starting with you. No more free thinking, thought crimes all around, I hope you're not a thought criminal. More importantly, no more government to protect you from people, if god wants your god given liberties protected "he" can handle that right?

Yes... I understand that my desire for a free and open society, government, and market is too much to handle for you. That my desire that discrimination end and people have equal opportunity is oppressive to you. I understand that free thinking and pragmatism is immoral to you. I also understand that you think your civil liberties come from your god, not the government, so why even have a bill of rights or government protect them?

Only if you understood sarcasm.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305579832' post='2242490']
Obviously, personal choices have nothing to do with this.

What if groups of black pro athletes pooled their money and bought teams? Everyone isn't a Michael Jordan, so not all players could buy a team individually, but what exactly is stopping this?

Lack of serious interest is stopping it.

Players are well in control of their own lives. They are not pressed into service.
[/quote]
Buying a sports franchise is a power move, not a way to get power. It can cost close to a billion dollars to buy a sports franchise. The highest paid player, I think, is Alex Rodriguez. He's earned probably around $300-$400 million from his team contracts. That's the HIGHEST paid player. Owners are billionaires. Players (white or black) pooling together to buy a team is not realistic. Most players earn chump change by professional sports standards. And what they do earn has to last them the rest of their lives...their careers are over in their 30s at the latest, more often in their 20s.

Owners do not come from a sports background, they come from a business background. Owning a team is a venture for businessmen. The lack of black owners is a reflection of the wider society more than it is a reflection of the professional sports leagues. It is easier to get black coaches than black owners because coaches come from a sports background. I'm not sure exact numbers, but I'd guess that less than 1/4 of head coaches in the three major American sports are black (I exclude hockey). There are probably a number of factors to account for that, but I'd say it is not for lack of ability or interest that blacks are so disproportionately represented among coaches when the majority of players are black. I should also probably exclude baseball, since there is less of a black presence among baseball players than among football and basketball (Latin American players are more prominent in baseball).

Edited by Era Might

Winchester

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1305581336' post='2242500']
What a horrible person I am, right Winchester? We should all want your closed slave society. We all should discriminate, especially to Catholics, as is the history in the United States. Not everyone should have equal opportunity, starting with you. No more free thinking, thought crimes all around, I hope you're not a thought criminal. More importantly, no more government to protect you from people, if god wants your god given liberties protected "he" can handle that right?

Yes... I understand that my desire for a free and open society, government, and market is too much to handle for you. That my desire that discrimination end and people have equal opportunity is oppressive to you. I understand that free thinking and pragmatism is immoral to you. I also understand that you think your civil liberties come from your god, not the government, so why even have a bill of rights or government protect them?

Only if you understood sarcasm.
[/quote]
Do you take blood pressure medication?

Laudate_Dominum

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/rar/noob.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305581891' post='2242503']Do you take blood pressure medication?[/quote]No, I actually have to take stimulants. You're attempts to paint me as playing aggressive and a victim in the same thread is laughable. If you had any idea, you would realize how limited you're knowledge is.

Don't forget sarcasm...

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Winchester

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1305581681' post='2242501']
Buying a sports franchise is a power move, not a way to get power.[/quote]
That is the most amesome distinction I've seen in a long time.

[quote]It can cost close to a billion dollars to buy a sports franchise. The highest paid player, I think, is Alex Rodriguez. He's earned probably around $300-$400 million from his team contracts. That's the HIGHEST paid player. Owners are billionaires. Players (white or black) pooling together to buy a team is not realistic. Most players earn chump change by professional sports standards. And what they do earn has to last them the rest of their lives...their careers are over in their 30s at the latest, more often in their 20s.[/quote]
Most employees earn chump change, period.

Groo the Wanderer

[img]http://www.lolsaints.com/sites/lolsaints.com/files/imagecache/main-saint-image/saint-story-images/Holy%20Hokey%20Pokey!.jpg[/img]

Winchester

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1305582034' post='2242506']
No, I actually have to take stimulants. You're attempts to paint me as playing aggressive and a victim in the same thread is laughable. If you had any idea, you would realize how limited you're knowledge is.
[/quote]
[url="http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe"]How to use an apostrophe[/url]

[img]http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/462103-GoldenSunMaster/103/46/rageoriginal_display.jpg[/img]

Laudate_Dominum

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/rar/ACO-Membership.png[/IMG]