An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Am Looking For

HopefulBride

HopefulBride

OK so I starting classes soon (well I have already) and it is at JPII in San Diego (their MA in Biblical Theology program) I am going to definitely need a reliable computer so I amthining of getting a laptop. Right now I have a 2 year old netbook that is not too reliable and a 7 year old laptop that dies after charging all day (as soon as I take it off of the charger it dies :() I am told the cells are dead (language I don't get) and I don't know how much new cells cost.

I am thinking of getting a mac but I am very limited as far as my budget as I am having all funds put toward school (to cover what my employer will not pay for) so I guess my question is this:

Is it possible to get a used macbok (gently used not refurb from apple) that I can trust its performance and such? I see Ebay has lots of refurb but they are not refurb by manufacturer and I am not sure if I should risk that. On the other hand, I want a cheap very reliable computer and I'm told Macs are the way to go.

Any advice?

MissScripture

Cells referrs to the cells in the battery. You would just need to buy a whole new battery. Often times, it's just as cost effective to buy a whole new computer.

HopefulBride

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1304990279' post='2239390']
Cells referrs to the cells in the battery. You would just need to buy a whole new battery. Often times, it's just as cost effective to buy a whole new computer.
[/quote]

I ordereda new battery but it didn't seem to work :(

MissScripture

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1304991082' post='2239398']
I ordereda new battery but it didn't seem to work :(
[/quote]
Then maybe I was wrong...but that was always how I thought my brother explained it to me. Unless that was the dumb-ed down explanation, because anything more in-depth would lead to my eyes glazing over.

OnlySunshine

Here ya go....

[img]http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/05/what_things_cost/image/bigmac.jpg[/img]

Oops, my bad! You mean a computer. LOL! :like:

If you could find someone that you know that's selling one, go for it. I don't know that I would trust anyone that I don't know to buy a computer from, though.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1304998551' post='2239478']
go with linux... i'm a computer nerd :blush:
[/quote]
I spent about 30 minutes flirting with the idea of trying Linux. After all, I'm a pretty bright undergrad, familiar with how computers work, and I've taken a comp. sci. course. Then I spent a little bit looking into how Linux functions and was so afraid I never thought about it again. :twitch:

HopefulBride

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1304998551' post='2239478']
go with linux... i'm a computer nerd :blush:
[/quote]

ummmm. What is a linux???

HopefulBride

[quote name='philothea' timestamp='1305005627' post='2239545']
What is your budget?
[/quote]

Right now my budget is 450. However, my brother will help me (as a belated birthday present) to add to it to get a good reliable computer (that is not too expensive)

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1305007180' post='2239557']
I spent about 30 minutes flirting with the idea of trying Linux. After all, I'm a pretty bright undergrad, familiar with how computers work, and I've taken a comp. sci. course. Then I spent a little bit looking into how Linux functions and was so afraid I never thought about it again. :twitch:
[/quote]
I was in your shoes once, now I use Ubuntu and all my computer problems went away... for free :like:

LuigiZolli

I would avoid all Apple products, but I'm a cheapskate. Love my Gateway. I like the laptops with a full keyboard the best.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1305036428' post='2239622']
ummmm. What is a linux???
[/quote]

an open source operating system... its pretty cool.

[quote name='thedude' timestamp='1305067775' post='2239833']
I was in your shoes once, now I use Ubuntu and all my computer problems went away... for free :like:
[/quote]

Yep [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img] I'm installing Ubuntu on this laptop as soon as I get administrative rights (it was a school laptop, but now its mine!)