An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Countdown Till I Go Off To Carmel

carmelite15

This is just another rather general question, not really about Brandee's experience, but I was wondering if it is common for cloistered communities to have candidates complete psychological testing , as part of the admission process. Again, I know about Benedictines, and Poor Clares, but have little knowledge about Carmelites. This may be something that various communities treat individually, as opposed to the particular Diocese, so am just curious.
I live in the state of Minnesota, and here, the Archdiocese has a counseling center, which most active and cloistered communities use as part of the admission process. It has been many years now, but I went through this process myself, before doing even a live in with the Poor Clares. We met face to face with the psychologist, took the MMPI and a few other tests, and then met again with the counselor. At that time, the men saw a priest(psychologist) and the women met with a nun who was a psychologist. That may have changed now.

And Brandee, may the Holy Spirit lead you in your call to religious life, and may God shower you with His Blessings and Love as you begin this time of discernment and sharing with these Sisters.

Edited by TIWW

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TIWW' timestamp='1313624367' post='2290188']
This is just another rather general question, not really about Brandee's experience, but I was wondering if it is common for cloistered communities to have candidates complete psychological testing , as part of the admission process. Again, I know about Benedictines, and Poor Clares, but have little knowledge about Carmelites. This may be something that various communities treat individually, as opposed to the particular Diocese, so am just curious.
I live in the state of Minnesota, and here, the Archdiocese has a counseling center, which most active and cloistered communities use as part of the admission process. It has been many years now, but I went through this process myself, before doing even a live in with the Poor Clares. We met face to face with the psychologist, took the MMPI and a few other tests, and then met again with the counselor. At that time, the mes saw a priest and the women met with a nun who was a psychologist. That may have changed now.

And Brandee, may the Holy Spirit lead you in your call to religious life, and may God shower you with His Blessings and Love as you begin this time of discernment and sharing with these Sisters.
[/quote]

I've never formally discerned with a cloistered order, but my friend, who entered two Carmelite monasteries (both under the 1990 Constitutions) did not receive psychological testing either time. She had to get a physical from her doctor, an x-ray of her lungs to prove she did not have tuberculosis, and a recommendation from her spiritual director in order to enter. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1313625169' post='2290195']

I've never formally discerned with a cloistered order, but my friend, who entered two Carmelite monasteries (both under the 1990 Constitutions) did not receive psychological testing either time. She had to get a physical from her doctor, an x-ray of her lungs to prove she did not have tuberculosis, and a recommendation from her spiritual director in order to enter. :)
[/quote]

I know of some 1990 Carmels that do, and some that don't; depends on the community .. probably the same with all Carmels :like:

Brandee, 3 days!! or pretty much 2!! :nun2:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1313639896' post='2290400']

I know of some 1990 Carmels that do, and some that don't; depends on the community .. probably the same with all Carmels :like:

Brandee, 3 days!! or pretty much 2!! :nun2:
[/quote]

This is very true. As far as I know - unless things have changed - the Elysburg and Buffalo Carmelite Monasteries do not do psychiatric testing before aspirancy. :)

Before going to do my live-in with the Poor Clares, I didn't really understand the reasoning behind the Psychological screening, but it soon became clear. The purpose of course is to pick up on people who might have glaring issues with mental health, maturity, sexuality and family dysfunction. Not that any of these would prevent that person from entering, but there would be a baseline from which the entrant and the community would have to work with. For example, anyone unstable mentally could create havoc in an environment of prayer and quiet. Better to know beforehand.

Not only must you be able to live the life giving your all, but you must be able to fit into the tight knit group that already is melded together as a unit. Some personality types, no matter how well meaning they may be, can not adapt. When living in a small, enclosed, cloistered, contemplative community, every single little thing affects the whole of the group. For example, you get to know who is coming into prayer, just by the sound of their walk, or the little noises that were made. One of the sisters had squeaky shoes, which interrupted prayer whenever she walked. One sister had keys for the house and jingled when she was around. I have many stories, some funny and some rather sad, but you get the idea.

[size=5][font=times new roman,times,serif][i]Happy[/i][/font][/size][color=#DAA520][size=5][font=times new roman,times,serif][i] [u]Golden[/u][/i][/font][/size][/color] [size=5][font=times new roman,times,serif][i]Birthday, Brandee!!![/i][/font][/size] [i][font=times new roman,times,serif](found this picture online from Cristo Rey)[/font][/i]

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/era0de.jpg[/img]

FutureSister2009

Tomorrow is a special day Brandee! Enjoy it! I hope we hear from you before you officially enter! God Bless!

ah, what a beautiful love story!!!!! Brandee, you go with our prayers!!!!! Many blessings and may you find true joy in this community.

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1313683145' post='2290565']
Happy Birthday Brandee!
[/quote]

Thank you so much!!! I had a wonderful birthday it was wonderful (thanks to my beloved) but Thank you again :)

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1313691571' post='2290611']
[size=5][font=times new roman, times, serif][i]Happy[/i][/font][/size][color=#daa520][size=5][font=times new roman, times, serif][i] [u]Golden[/u][/i][/font][/size][/color] [size=5][font=times new roman, times, serif][i]Birthday, Brandee!!![/i][/font][/size] [i][font=times new roman, times, serif](found this picture online from Cristo Rey)[/font][/i]

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/era0de.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

OH WOW HOW PRETTY THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='carmelite15' timestamp='1313771766' post='2291342']
Tomorrow night i'll be in Carmel with all my sisters!!!!! :nun1:
[/quote]

So jealous. Praying for you!

OnlySunshine

Brandee, I can't believe it is only one more day! By this time tomorrow, you will be doing your live-in with your future Sisters (God-willing). I pray you are able to update us if you decide to enter the cloister as a postulant. May God be with you during this important time in your life. I know you must be busy making last minute preparations. I will pray for your flight over there, that you reach the monastery safely, and that you have a wonderful time. May Our Lady wrap you in her mantle and shower you with her graces. :)