An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Wish The Interwebs Had That It Doesn't?

dUSt

[quote name='penguin31' timestamp='1305332869' post='2241102']

Also: Free cupcakes.
[/quote]

wow, pen and I are hungry

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1305315904' post='2240981']
i think we should flesh out the 'write a letter to your priest about liturgical abuses' idea. :like:

so many of us want to do something, but don't know where or when or how to start. let's help.
[/quote]
this could be cool. what if there was some sort of online form to fill out so that it could all be compiled and the website itself could do some of the clerical work. I imagine there are parishes and dioceses out there spotted with various disconnected people who all are bothered by this or that thing done wrong, but don't even know there are others in their own parish and diocese that agree? then the volunteers at this particular phatmass site could sift through the complaints filed with this website, sift through them for which things are truly important and what not, a compile thoughtful and respectful letters with citations to the rubrics and canons and what not that could first be sent to the priests (by snail mail, or even we could do some work to try to find email addresses of priests too), and if nothing is done, then to the appropriate diocesan officials (and eventually Rome if nothing is done)? canon 2122 in online form.

we could compile for the priests not only evidence that there is something wrong, but also compile just how many people in the congregation are concerned about it. I think this could become amazingly effective; dioceses would be more likely to respond to a complaint coming from numerous people that was well written, informed, and respectful. if we put the word out, the faithful everywhere would know that if they're not getting the ritual as they have the right to them, they don't have to just whine about it anonymously online or send futile letters, and they don't have to end up in some heated controversy that might end up making their priests mad at them, they can simply and easily file a complaint with our website. the website wouldn't go around publishing the complaints and spreading the scandal, it would simply compile them in a private database and use the complaints to simply and effectively utilize the proper chanels.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1305430481' post='2241690']
cup holders
[/quote]
you are wise beyond your years. :doh: oh, that's [i]in spite[/i] of your years!

Winchester

[img]http://www2.orlandoweekly.com/blog/images/star-wars-anonymous-rebel-pilot-sees-what-u-did-there.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1305394368' post='2241394']
this could be cool. what if there was some sort of online form to fill out so that it could all be compiled and the website itself could do some of the clerical work. I imagine there are parishes and dioceses out there spotted with various disconnected people who all are bothered by this or that thing done wrong, but don't even know there are others in their own parish and diocese that agree? then the volunteers at this particular phatmass site could sift through the complaints filed with this website, sift through them for which things are truly important and what not, a compile thoughtful and respectful letters with citations to the rubrics and canons and what not that could first be sent to the priests (by snail mail, or even we could do some work to try to find email addresses of priests too), and if nothing is done, then to the appropriate diocesan officials (and eventually Rome if nothing is done)? canon 2122 in online form.

we could compile for the priests not only evidence that there is something wrong, but also compile just how many people in the congregation are concerned about it. I think this could become amazingly effective; dioceses would be more likely to respond to a complaint coming from numerous people that was well written, informed, and respectful. if we put the word out, the faithful everywhere would know that if they're not getting the ritual as they have the right to them, they don't have to just whine about it anonymously online or send futile letters, and they don't have to end up in some heated controversy that might end up making their priests mad at them, they can simply and easily file a complaint with our website. the website wouldn't go around publishing the complaints and spreading the scandal, it would simply compile them in a private database and use the complaints to simply and effectively utilize the proper chanels.
[/quote]

Kind of like a posse? Liturgical spies? Anonymous snitches? Vatican tattle tales? Could we at least have badges and ranks? Or maybe keep track of something positive to balance the negative?

well, I mean, I don't see what the point would be in keeping track of what's positive... that's what should be going on anyway. I'm not much of a fan of applauding people for worshipping God correctly, their reward is their heavenly Father who sees in secret.

the point of compiling the abuses would be to call attention to them in a way that wasn't spreading the scandal. so people who recognized them didn't have to go vent on forums and blogs to the empty air, and post videos on youtube for everyone to get outraged at. there'd be a place to submit them that would keep them private and seek to bring them to the attention of our pastors, as per canon 212 §2 because our spiritual needs are not being met. the faithful have a right to the liturgy as it is meant to be, because the liturgy as it is meant to be IS the Catholic faith. when one is not receiving the liturgy as it is meant to be, one is not receiving the Catholic faith.

obviously we'd prioritize and try not to be nit picky. it'd be a way of organizing something constructive. the site itself could be full of resources on the liturgy. I suppose we could highlight good examples on the site itself, I'd say not to publicize bad examples but rather let the site serve as a tool to go through the proper channels in private.

save the liturgy, save the world.

just throwing ideas out there.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1305476394' post='2241866']
well, I mean, I don't see what the point would be in keeping track of what's positive... that's what should be going on anyway. I'm not much of a fan of applauding people for worshipping God correctly, their reward is their heavenly Father who sees in secret.

the point of compiling the abuses would be to call attention to them in a way that wasn't spreading the scandal. so people who recognized them didn't have to go vent on forums and blogs to the empty air, and post videos on youtube for everyone to get outraged at. there'd be a place to submit them that would keep them private and seek to bring them to the attention of our pastors, as per canon 212 §2 because our spiritual needs are not being met. the faithful have a right to the liturgy as it is meant to be, because the liturgy as it is meant to be IS the Catholic faith. when one is not receiving the liturgy as it is meant to be, one is not receiving the Catholic faith.

obviously we'd prioritize and try not to be nit picky. it'd be a way of organizing something constructive. the site itself could be full of resources on the liturgy. I suppose we could highlight good examples on the site itself, I'd say not to publicize bad examples but rather let the site serve as a tool to go through the proper channels in private.

save the liturgy, save the world.

just throwing ideas out there.
[/quote]

I personally think its a great idea!! :like:

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1305315904' post='2240981']
i think we should flesh out the 'write a letter to your priest about liturgical abuses' idea. :like:

so many of us want to do something, but don't know where or when or how to start. let's help.
[/quote]

I think we should flesh out a "write an even better letter to your priest about liturgical abuses" idea

let_go_let_God

Also in that an explanation of what "common" liturgical abuses are and how they can be solved. It's best that we don't always "assumptions" and have a list for our own usage that is "standard."

Wow " " are my friend today...

God bless-
LGLG

Archaeology cat

a food replicator.

But seriously, I like Red's & Al's suggestions. To add to that, maybe also something on contacting the Bishop (when that would be appropriate, how to do so, etc)

Groo the Wanderer

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8jWti2j-38c/TFkp2Pp4FdI/AAAAAAAABpc/As2hpwPXnGo/s1600/SayTheBlackDoTheRed_Horizontal.jpg[/img]

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305307856' post='2240917']
I am now accepting ideas for new phatmass developments.

How can we better glorify the church via the internet? Maybe something another website is doing but should really be done better? Maybe a new idea? Something that doesn't even exist but it should? Let me hear your ideas.

What I don't want to do is duplicate something that is already being done very well--I don't see a point in that.

THINK, people, think!
[/quote]

Better search function, and ability to access all previous posts by members with all previous posts listed and not just the threads. You can do this on forums.