An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen

PennyLane

I went through Life Teen when I was in high school, now I'm 24. For confirmation, it was required that I participated in the program.

When I went through Life Teen, it was clearly a program with a liberal agenda. We had what was called, "life nights" where we would have something like a class on a specific topic. I remember one night, it was about homosexuality and how the church needed to "get with the times" and if the church changed their view on homosexuality, there would have been a lot less scandal. Doesn't make much sense. We also discussed abortion and again, how the church needs to get with the times.

They said they would have "Adoration" but it was just a lay person holding the Eucharist above their head and places it on people's heads.

I could go on and on about the "lock-ins" where boys and girls shared the same sleeping bags and the music. I also remember JPII making statements out against lifeteen when I was in the program.

My experiences have just been terrible and I'm sort of jaded. However, in an effort to help teens at my parish now, I volunteer to teach Theology of the Body for teens and would really like to start The Goretti Group.

Clearly, some has changed. However, I would like to open the discussion about life teen. They want it to make a come back at our church, and I was a strong advocate of other types of programs, but curious to hear about other peoples experiences.

Also, how do you think the new Mass will affect Life Teen? The music is supposed to change...

That sounds like it was very much what was going on at your church, not Lifeteen as a whole. I also went through LT, and while the music at my parish's Youth Mass was very contemporary and used lots of instruments, the material presented was orthodox- nothing like you've described.

In the last 3 years, I've helped and seen the materials, it corresponds with church teaching. But even 5 years ago, we had Adoration- in a monstrance-, it promoted the Sacrament of Reconcilliation, there were "hot topics" nights, but maintained church teaching on homosexuality and promoted the Theology of the Body.

I don't really know about other programs, but I think LifeTeen has its place- provided it's administered by faithful Catholics. I agree that the focus on music at the Mass should be a little less "bold."

Edited by Lisa

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307013511' post='2249125']
That sounds like it was very much what was going on at your church, not Lifeteen as a whole. I also went through LT, and while the music at my parish's Youth Mass was very contemporary and used lots of instruments, the material presented was orthodox- nothing like you've described.

In the last 3 years, I've helped and seen the materials, it corresponds with church teaching. But even 5 years ago, we had Adoration- in a monstrance-, it promoted the Sacrament of Reconcilliation, there were "hot topics" nights, but maintained church teaching on homosexuality and promoted the Theology of the Body.

I don't really know about other programs, but I think LifeTeen has its place- provided it's administered by faithful Catholics. I agree that the focus on music at the Mass should be a little less "bold."
[/quote]

THIS :like: sounds like a problem at your parish

Lifeteen, like any other program, will only be as orthodox as the people who are implementing it.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the program, just because I've heard so many stories similar to yours where people use Lifeteen as their excuse to do a lot of liberal modernist things. On the other hand, I've heard about parishes that have a very orthodox, authentically Catholic Lifeteen program as well--and a good amount of stories about how Lifeteen was the reason a lot of people fell in love so deeply with the Eucharist. Again, it all depends on who runs it on the local level.

It also doesn't help that the founder of Lifeteen, Dale Fushek, was excommunicated for starting his own praise and worship center. Granted, he hadn't been involved with running Lifeteen for a few years preceding his excommunication.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1307019530' post='2249134']
THIS :like: sounds like a problem at your parish
[/quote]

I agree. I love the Lifeteen program at my parish. it was the program that really helped me to build my relationship with Christ and it was thourgh lifeteen retreats and Adoration that I found that God is calling me to Priesthood.

So yea, I think it depends on the folks who are in charge. We are blessed to have an[i] [b]a[/b]wesome [/i]youth minister and an [b]a[/b]wesome group of Core Members.

I like contempory music at Mass, but I also really like the traditional music as well, which lately my parish has been mixing at our Lifeteen Masses, which I love.

Actually it was through Lifeteen that I met AudreyGrace, and in turn she told me about Phatmass, so in a way, if it wasnt for Lifeteen at my Parish, I wouldnt be on Phatmass right now. (so you guys can blame her for that LOL)

Gal. 5:22,23

We have it at our parish and are blessed to have very orthodox people leading the program. However, the music at the "Lifeteen" Mass is irreverent and poorly done. Our pastor has commented that this mass is the worst in regards to participation. He's noticed how many spend that hour texting. Most people come in flip-flops, shorts or jeans, and t-shirts. The whole atmosphere seems to lend itself to a casual/indifferent response to the sacred.

There's one exception: since it's the last Mass of the weekend and we have Perpetual Adoration, the priest processes out at the end with Our Lord in the monstrance to [i]Tantum Ergo[/i]. Here, we have 100% participation - kneeling and singing. I think that speaks volumes.

[quote name='Gal. 5:22,23' timestamp='1307026301' post='2249156']
We have it at our parish and are blessed to have very orthodox people leading the program. However, the music at the "Lifeteen" Mass is irreverent and poorly done. Our pastor has commented that this mass is the worst in regards to participation. He's noticed how many spend that hour texting. Most people come in flip-flops, shorts or jeans, and t-shirts. The whole atmosphere seems to lend itself to a casual/indifferent response to the sacred.

There's one exception: since it's the last Mass of the weekend and we have Perpetual Adoration, the priest processes out at the end with Our Lord in the monstrance to [i]Tantum Ergo[/i]. Here, we have 100% participation - kneeling and singing. I think that speaks volumes.
[/quote]

TEXTING?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Edited by Lisa

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307026773' post='2249160']
TEXTING?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
[/quote]

yeah, looks like someone needs to get on beating those people :nono:

AudreyGrace

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1307023516' post='2249154']
I agree. I love the Lifeteen program at my parish. it was the program that really helped me to build my relationship with Christ and it was thourgh lifeteen retreats and Adoration that I found that God is calling me to Priesthood.

So yea, I think it depends on the folks who are in charge. We are blessed to have an[i] [b]a[/b]wesome [/i]youth minister and an [b]a[/b]wesome group of Core Members.

I like contempory music at Mass, but I also really like the traditional music as well, which lately my parish has been mixing at our Lifeteen Masses, which I love.

Actually it was through Lifeteen that I met AudreyGrace, and in turn she told me about Phatmass, so in a way, if it wasnt for Lifeteen at my Parish, I wouldnt be on Phatmass right now. (so you guys can blame her for that LOL)
[/quote]

Keep it up, punk! lol
I actually have some thoughts regarding my Life Teen group (jon, i would appreciate you not sharing this with other teens or the core members).

I do love Life Teen. Through them, I discovered FUS and became enthusiastic about the Catholic faith. Unfortunately, the Life Teen program I knew a few years ago is nothing like it is now at my parish. Currently, the teens (except jon. he's a good kid lol) are extremely disrespectful. There are 5 teens (that i know of) who claim to be either gay, lesbian, or bisexual and are open and unashamed of it. Just last week at our pastor's going away party, I had to see girls flirting with girls, couples practically all over each other, and other things I'd rather not see at Church. We haven't had a life night on homosexuality in a while, I believe it's because my youth minister does not want to "scare away" anyone. Which i think is ridiculous, and that there is an appropriate approach to the topic that she needs to find.

Other than those types of issues, our Life Teen program is pretty orthodox. I'll rant later, the 6th period bell rang, gotta go to class. :lol:

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1307027235' post='2249164']
Keep it up, punk! lol
I actually have some thoughts regarding my Life Teen group (jon, i would appreciate you not sharing this with other teens or the core members).

I do love Life Teen. Through them, I discovered FUS and became enthusiastic about the Catholic faith. Unfortunately, the Life Teen program I knew a few years ago is nothing like it is now at my parish. Currently, the teens (except jon. he's a good kid lol) are extremely disrespectful. There are 5 teens (that i know of) who claim to be either gay, lesbian, or bisexual and are open and unashamed of it. Just last week at our pastor's going away party, I had to see girls flirting with girls, couples practically all over each other, and other things I'd rather not see at Church. We haven't had a life night on homosexuality in a while, I believe it's because my youth minister does not want to "scare away" anyone. Which i think is ridiculous, and that there is an appropriate approach to the topic that she needs to find.

Other than those types of issues, our LifeTeen program is pretty orthodox. I'll rant later, the 6th period bell rang, gotta go to class. :lol:
[/quote]

Class :hehe:

Lifeteen at my parish is actually how I got connected to a lot of things online and Catholic, including Phatmass. Based on the fact that the program I attended during high school focused a lot on Church teaching and each teen having a deep relationship with Jesus in the Eucharist (we're also one of the only places in the diocese with a perpetual adoration chapel), I agree with the majority of previous posters-- Lifeteen is more or less what the parish makes it.

[quote name='iheartjp2' timestamp='1307037895' post='2249228']
Lifeteen at my parish is actually how I got connected to a lot of things online and Catholic, including Phatmass. Based on the fact that the program I attended during high school focused a lot on Church teaching and each teen having a deep relationship with Jesus in the Eucharist (we're also one of the only places in the diocese with a perpetual adoration chapel), I agree with the majority of previous posters-- Lifeteen is more or less what the parish makes it.
[/quote]

I love your username, by the way :)

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307041330' post='2249240']
I love your username, by the way :)
[/quote]
It would be better like this:

iHeartJP2

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1307046150' post='2249284']
It would be better like this:

iHeartJP2
[/quote]

Change it then.

Thank you all on the feedback. I looked over the material on the web earlier today and can understand what you all are saying.

It is what we make of it. :)

Hopefully we can make it orthodox and increase vocations!!