An Old School Catholic Message Board

*sigh* Do You Get Frustrated By Your Priest Too?

AccountDeleted

Maximilianus

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1307318626' post='2250277']
For those who think that we should never disagree with our priests... that kind of thinking leads to cover ups when they misbehave. We don't want to go back to that again, please. All respect but they must be held accountable.
[/quote]

I concur

[i]Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops, like bishops, and your religious act like religious.
- [/i]Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, before the Knights of Columbus, June 1972

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1307318626' post='2250277']
For those who think that we should never disagree with our priests... that kind of thinking leads to cover ups when they misbehave. We don't want to go back to that again, please. All respect but they must be held accountable.
[/quote]
:| nevermind.

Edited by Lil Red

Ash Wednesday

What beautiful timing that our Pope has dedicated prayer intentions for June to priests.

"That priests, united to the Heart of Christ, may always be true witnesses of the caring and merciful love of God."

God bless the Pope and our priests.

Ash Wednesday

P.S. For some reason I just remembered one time when I was a kid, a priest had a mime come in for the sermon

[img]http://sp.life123.com/bm.pix/mime1.s600x600.jpg[/img]

...and this one lady got up and walked out.

LOL

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1307322741' post='2250287']
P.S. For some reason I just remembered one time when I was a kid, a priest had a mime come in for the sermon

LOL
[/quote]

LOL was it a special occasion?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1307322741' post='2250287']

LOL
[/quote]
If I knew I had other options later in the day, I very well might do the same.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307312851' post='2250252']
Unfortunately all priests. Notice something in common?

[/quote]
:o
They're all....dudes!!

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307335740' post='2250352']
:o
They're all....dudes!!
[/quote]

With glasses. Very big glasses. And white hair. And receding hairlines.

I suggest we ordain only those men who have very good vision.

I have no clue what to do about the white hair and receding hairlines.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307316247' post='2250269']
I did not know that.
However, Cardenal and Boff are not German.
[/quote]

Boff studied for, defended his thesis and received his doctorate at the University of Munich. His thesis has been published as a book and is available in German, and only in German. Since, you know. He wrote it

****IN GERMAN******

Boff and Cardenal are both wastes of time but somehow I suspect you're not as familiar with theology as you think you are.

Edited by Maggie

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307326884' post='2250304']
If I knew I had other options later in the day, I very well might do the same.
[/quote]

At the time I was just a little kid and I thought "hey, the performer was cool, why was she mad?" but now I see things in a whole different light, look back and just shake my head and laugh.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1307341689' post='2250378']
At the time I was just a little kid and I thought "hey, the performer was cool, why was she mad?" but now I see things in a whole different light, look back and just shake my head and laugh.
[/quote]

First, I love your avatar! Loved that movie too.

And I too used to think that a priest's personality was really important, and even didn't want to go to Masses unless I could relate to the priest. My daughter used to love her Catholic school priest because during the homily he would talk about the footy matches, and he liked the same team she did! I didn't think anything about this at the time except that he was really good with the kids.

But over the years I have come to understand the deeper significance of the Mass and the reason for it in the first place! This has changed my attitude to one of wanting a 'friendly priest' to one of wanting a 'holy priest'. These two things aren't mutually exclusive, and I have certainly experienced the other extreme too - priests who get all the rubrics right but who are basically uncharitable and 'unChristian' in their behaviour. So I guess I am just saying that the priest has to walk a fine line between being 'best buddies' with the parishioners and being too distant - not easy of course, but Jesus did set a very high standard to live up to.

I think our Holy Father is doing a fantastic job of balancing humanity with holiness, and I hope that those priests who disagree with him take the time to at least read the books where he is being interviewed... I have read them all and he just seems to combine faith and reason so well and explains his vision in a way that makes it all seem so clear. I hope he lives a long time!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1307339847' post='2250370']

Boff and Cardenal are both wastes of time but somehow I suspect you're not as familiar with theology as you think you are.
[/quote]
That's rather insulting [ETA: also unprovoked]. I've never pretended to be familiar with subjects in which I am lacking.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307347495' post='2250383']
That's rather insulting [ETA: also unprovoked]. I've never pretended to be familiar with subjects in which I am lacking.
[/quote]

I apologize, I didn't mean to be nasty but re-reading I can see where I was. It's just that even I know about the coats-and-ties-in-academia thing and my knowledge in these topics is near zero. I have only the most cursory understanding of Boff but I know he's a product of German academia. I checked and you can find these facts out in a five minute Google search. I feel the same way when I'm working with one of my Protestant friends and they claim the pope is satanic and flourish a photo of the Petrine cross for proof (it's upside down). They haven't done their research so they don't realize the pope has it that way since that's how Peter died. Combine that with my own person pet peeve, which is what I view to be the traditionalist over-focus on petty externals (really there are very many valid reasons a priest would not wear his collar, even outside academia, and it does not magically turn him into a liberal or a heretic). I got terribly twitchy. I'm sorry :(

I think I've gotten frustrated with priests' twice. The first time was when we had this associate at home, and he gave me the same penance every Confession. It got to the point where I'd go in, and know exactly what he would say, word for word. Until one day I was so broken I went, "you know what Lord, I know what he's going to say, but that doesn't matter". He changed the penance. The only time in a year of confessing to that priest that he did so.

The other would be when I first moved up here. I went in, I'd never seen the priest before. I nearly didn't go back (thankfully I did, it was a substitute that day). He descended from the altar during his homily to walk amongst us and tell us that the only way to Heaven was social justice work, amongst other things... Jesus never factored into his reasons.

I'd be pretty horrified in your situation as well, but I guess I'd try to pray for him. Sometimes we all get angry and frustrated and may not necessarily make the best decisions about things, like dissing a Bishop as a priest. Prayers for you though!