An Old School Catholic Message Board

Great Catholic Sisters And Priests Movies

LaPetiteSoeur

I find watching the older movies depicting RL very difficult as they are usually too "sappy" (depicting RL  in an unrealistic manner , everything is sunshine,roses, and fairly immature postulants and novices giggling as they waltz through the convent hallways ) or to0 much on the "dark side" (depicting RL as it MIGHT have been at one time, but highly sensationalized).

Once again I have to agree with Nunsuch on Dead Man Walking - she and I are very similar in our backgrounds and understanding/interaction with those currently in RL.

Just my random thoughts before I have my coffee and biscotti :)

I did not mean to eliminate Dead Man Walking. I also saw depths in The Nun's Story. Doubt and The Scarlet and the Black just happened to be the two that first struck me.

I was lucky enough to know the woman who sung the soprano bit of Dead Man Walking when he is walking to the death chamber. She is a lovely, humble woman with great talent. 

I've met Sr. Helen Prejean, author of Dead Man Walking, on several occasions, and once introduced her when she gave a public lecture. She is a remarkable woman and I think that the way she was portrayed in the film was exceptional (no wonder Susan Sarandon won an Oscar for the role!). Helen was a consultant on the film, and also had a cameo role in it.

NadaTeTurbe

I would highly recommend "The Innocents" (Les innocentes), a movie about nuns in Poland who are pregnant because they have been raped by Russian soldiers. The movie follows the french doctor who care for them. It's just very delicate, nothing vicious or disrepectfull.

I love this one too!

Also "The Reluctant Saint"

I saw the movie Therese with my two young sons and when she was vomiting up blood my son said "Mommy she threw up her hot chocolate!" And I replied "Umm yes..."

3 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

I would highly recommend "The Innocents" (Les innocentes), a movie about nuns in Poland who are pregnant because they have been raped by Russian soldiers. The movie follows the french doctor who care for them. It's just very delicate, nothing vicious or disrepectfull.

Yes! It was really excellent. There is also "Ida," a Polish film that won the best foreign language film Oscar.