An Old School Catholic Message Board

Great Catholic Sisters And Priests Movies

LaPetiteSoeur

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1308661167' post='2256740']
Oh I just love 'The Man who became Pope' there is an honesty and simplicity in it that enthralled me. I sobbed my heart out in places too. It shows him as such a normal man, someone who felt so insignificant in the middle of the horrors he was witnessing, but still managed to focus on his faith and pursue his vocation.:love:
[/quote]

Me too! I cry like a baby every time I watch these movies! I can't watch them in front of people I don't know well, because I get all weepy.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1307623810' post='2251618']
One of the best movies ever! I've liked this movie since I was litte (12). The actors are great. The story is better!
[/quote]

LOVE [i][b]The Scarlet and the Black[/b][/i] also!!!

It's been said, but since we're having a lot of repeats here, I'm repeating [i][b]Teresa de Los Andes[/b][/i]!!! :love:

But not a repeat - [b][i][url="http://www.decentfilms.com/reviews/miracleofsainttherese.html"][b][i]The Miracle of St. Therese[/i][/b][/url][/i][/b]<-- BEST movie on St. Therese EVER .. just saw it the other night

Edited by Chiquitunga

just watched a Movie on Netflix called [i]The Least Of These[/i]. It was about a new Priest at a Catholic prep school who uncovers scandal and murder. Sadly, im sure you folks can guess what the scandal was...but it happens, and the movie seemed not to be against the Church.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1308681437' post='2256870']
just watched a Movie on Netflix called [i]The Least Of These[/i]. It was about a new Priest at a Catholic prep school who uncovers scandal and murder. Sadly, im sure you folks can guess what the scandal was...but it happens, and the movie seemed not to be against the Church.
[/quote]

This movie is great! I really, really liked it. It wasn't against the Church at all, which was refreshing!

Freudentaumel

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "[b]The Cardina[/b]l", "[b]The Mission[/b]" and "[b]I Confess[/b]" yet. Those three are among the best.

[quote name='Santa Cruz' timestamp='1308586766' post='2256327']
Of Gods and Men
[/quote]

My vote as well!

And I needed this pointed out to me because I am dense, but the filmmakers say that when the last scene has the monks and the terrorists going off in the snow and fog and amidst the bare trees -- the colors of white and black and grey are deliberately echoing the monks' habits.

<shiver>

What is it that nunsense says about the habit being both bridal gown and shroud?

• 6 years later...

I have to say that I thought "Novitiate" was one of the worst films I have ever seen, as well as hopelessly inaccurate about religious life in so many ways. I have yet to meet a single sister who liked it, but many who walked out. 

I second Clare and Francis, Bells on Their Toes, and Trouble with Angles! I also highly recommend the movie Therese. It is an amazingly well done film about St. Therese of Lisieux. I can only watch it once or twice a year because it makes me so emotional! It was only after watching the movie that I actually stopped thinking that she had this perfect goodie two shoes life which is why she was able to be so holy. (it was a long time ago) It actually help me a great deal with my prayer life believe it or not.

I found this amazing movie on St. Faustina that's in Polish with English subtitles. It's just over an hour long but it is amazingly well done. It doesn't reveal much about her earlier life or her visions but the time between the visions.

On a slightly different note, I really recommend "Dead Man Walking" if one wants to see the life and ministry of a modern sister who engages in a very challenging ministry. It has some wonderful scenes of religious life that ring remarkably true to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Doubt and The Scarlet and the Black are brilliant, superbly acted films. Many of the others listed here are enjoyable entertainment, but not of high artistic quality (and hardly reflections of anything realistic about religious life or priesthood.)

I loved the Scarlett and the Black too.  Seen it quite a few times.  And the Nun's Story.  Not so keen on Black Narcissus.  I loved the book In this House of Brede.  But film wasn't as good.  Nothing like the book at all.  I wish they'd do a longer adaptation like say a six part series. 

8 hours ago, gloriana35 said:

Doubt and The Scarlet and the Black are brilliant, superbly acted films. Many of the others listed here are enjoyable entertainment, but not of high artistic quality (and hardly reflections of anything realistic about religious life or priesthood.)

Well, I would have to disagree with you on both counts when it comes to "Dead Man Walking," which I think is both a very fine film and quite a fine depiction of modern religious life. Since some of the others in this thread are either older films or set in the past, they are not realistic representations of religious life today.