An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vatican Reminder: Sspx Ordinations Are Illegitimate

Lil Red

[url="http://patrickmadrid.com/vatican-reminder-sspx-ordinations-are-illegitimate/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=vatican-reminder-sspx-ordinations-are-illegitimate"]Via Patrick Madrid[/url]

This helps alot. I found a community of Carmelites. And they're the SSPX ones. I've been wondering about this. Thanks

The whole SSPX stance is that we are in a "crisis" situation, and that therefore such ordinations were necessary to preserve Catholic faith. Even in canon law certain things can be permitted in emergency situations that are prohibited in ordinary circumstances, e.g. a priest in negative canonical standing hearing the confession of a dying man.

But God knows best

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='mortify' timestamp='1309988801' post='2263776']
The whole SSPX stance is that we are in a "crisis" situation, and that therefore such ordinations were necessary to preserve Catholic faith. Even in canon law certain things can be permitted in emergency situations that are prohibited in ordinary circumstances, e.g. a priest in negative canonical standing hearing the confession of a dying man.

But God knows best
[/quote]
Indeed.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1309995864' post='2263824']
You know, I only know one person offline who isn't a priest who even knows what the SSPX is?
[/quote]

Yeah, but from what I've gathered they're pretty well known in "traditional" Catholic circles.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1309997142' post='2263835']
Yeah, but from what I've gathered they're pretty well known in "traditional" Catholic circles.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I know lots of "traditional" Catholics online who will defend most of what they do (but not all...usually) tooth and nail. The guy offline is actually a "Traditionalist" now that I think about it; it's really weird what happens when groups of young Catholics discuss theology in a bar.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1309998205' post='2263839']
it's really weird what happens when groups of young Catholics discuss theology in a bar.
[/quote]

I second that. :)

The best thing I got from this was that they're ordaining 20 priests in one year. Only about one million Catholics attend SSPX run chapels. There are dioceses out there with far more resources, priests and faithful who haven't seen an ordination class that size since the 50's.

Prayers for the quick regularization of the SSPX :amen:

Edited by Aragonn

faithcecelia

[quote name='Aragonn' timestamp='1310007570' post='2263877']
The best thing I got from this was that they're ordaining 20 priests in one year. Only about one million Catholics attend SSPX run chapels. There are dioceses out there with far more resources, priests and faithful who haven't seen an ordination class that size since the 50's.

Prayers for the quick regularization of the SSPX :amen:
[/quote]

If 'standard' seminary was prohibited I am sure you would see similar numbers. Its human nature that if you are told you cannot/shouldn't have something you want it more, I honestly don't think this can be seen as much more than that.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1310016124' post='2263929']
If 'standard' seminary was prohibited I am sure you would see similar numbers. Its human nature that if you are told you cannot/shouldn't have something you want it more, I honestly don't think this can be seen as much more than that.
[/quote]
I find that to be a kind of bitter view of it. There's something about the SSPX that's drawing young men to the priesthood. Is it just forbidden fruit? Doubt it. You don't do something like that just for shallow kicks. No, there's something much more important at work here.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1310016804' post='2263931']No, there's something much more important at work here.
[/quote]
And it has disobedience at its core. I can understand sticking up for or sympathising with the claims of the SSPX, but as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. They have been told to knock it off with the ordaining stuff, and they are unwilling to do so. It is becoming clearer and clearer that the only side that is truly willing to work towards reunification is Mother Church.

Between this and other things (like how the SSPX Bishop Williamson is toying with the idea of becoming a sedevacantist[sup]1[/sup]) it's becoming harder and harder to have a soft spot for these guys.

[size="1"][sup]1 - "But note that Benedict XVI as arithmetician absolutely claims that he does believe that 2 and 2 are 4. And for as long as his claim is sincere, and it does appear to be sincere – God alone knows for sure – Benedict XVI is not wilfully denying what he knows to be defined truths of the Catholic Faith. Rather he is convinced, as Bishop Tissier shows, that he is “regenerating” them with the help of modern thinking! This makes it difficult to make the accusation of formal heresy stick in his case, which is why even his love and promotion of 2+2=5 does not yet make me personally into a Sedevacantist!" Via our friend, Fr. Z (http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/04/sspx-bp-williamson-im-not-yet-a-sedevacanist-and-its-hard-to-say-pope-benedict-is-a-formal-heretic/http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/04/sspx-bp-williamson-im-not-yet-a-sedevacanist-and-its-hard-to-say-pope-benedict-is-a-formal-heretic/)[/sup][/size]

faithcecelia

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1310016804' post='2263931']
I find that to be a kind of bitter view of it. There's something about the SSPX that's drawing young men to the priesthood. Is it just forbidden fruit? Doubt it. You don't do something like that just for shallow kicks. No, there's something much more important at work here.
[/quote]

I feel no bitterness at all, but do feel that if there was really 'something' (aka God!) calling these men to the priesthood then they would be entering legitimate seminaries and working towards legitimate ordination, and then working within the churge to be the change they wish to see.

CatherineM

Don't you two start up again.

I do have a legitimate question. I ask because I do not know. Do those attempting ordination with the SSPX have to meet the same requirements for number of philosophy credits undergrad, and MDiv program before ordination that seminarians are currently required to have here?

Groo the Wanderer

SSPX: yer doin it wrong

FSSP: yer doing it rite!

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_T3lg6p_ATmc/TOBC07D8SJI/AAAAAAAAGeA/rK9GYCIDNMQ/s1600/FSSP+logo.jpg[/img]

simple enuff.....