An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Brown Scapular: Questions

thegraceandpeace

thegraceandpeace

Greetings!

Does anyone out there wear the brown scapular? I have a few questions about the devotion and keep finding different answers...so I was wondering:

- Does one need to enroll in the scapular to take on the devotion and be eligible for the Sabbatine Privilege or is it sufficient to get it blessed as a non-third order lay Catholic?
- What exactly are the duties that are to be maintained for the devotion? I understand that some aspects of the Carmelite charism come into play here (e.g.- chastity based on one's state in life) but have gotten different answers regarding the daily devotions required (some say you should pray the "Little Office" or "Liturgy of the Hours", others say you should say the rosary daily, and still others say that another type of daily devotion/Marian prayer is permitted).
- Does the actual scapular itself have to be wool? I have heard that it should be unless allergies are present, while others say that metals or wooden scapulars are acceptable.

I am currently discerning whether to take on this beautiful devotion, but am not discerning the lay Carmelites or any third orders and am trying to understand exactly what this would entail.

Thank you and God Bless!

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='thegraceandpeace' timestamp='1311525654' post='2274967']
- Does one need to enroll in the scapular to take on the devotion and be eligible for the Sabbatine Privilege or is it sufficient to get it blessed as a non-third order lay Catholic?[/quote]
My understanding is that one ought to be invested with the scapular; any priest can do this. After that, if you need to replace your scapular, you just need to get it blessed. When buying a scapular, many come with instructions for the priest to invest the person if he doesn't know how. If not you can print them off the internet.

- What exactly are the duties that are to be maintained for the devotion? I understand that some aspects of the Carmelite charism come into play here (e.g.- chastity based on one's state in life) but have gotten different answers regarding the daily devotions required (some say you should pray the "Little Office" or "Liturgy of the Hours", others say you should say the rosary daily, and still others say that another type of daily devotion/Marian prayer is permitted).[/quote]
My understanding is that the Little Office of the BVM is preferred, but if you can't for whatever reason, 5 decades of the rosary is acceptable as well. So that and chastity according to one's state in life in addition to wearing the scapular are the requirements for the Sabbatine privilege.

- Does the actual scapular itself have to be wool? I have heard that it should be unless allergies are present, while others say that metals or wooden scapulars are acceptable.[/quote]
Yes, it has to be wool with allowances made for those with allergies. If you aren't allergic to wool you should NOT wear the medal or wooden scapular. I've read that miracles have only ever been attributed to woolen brown scapulars, not the medal.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but this is what I understand from wearing my scapular.

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312154047' post='2279411']
Is it possible for a brown scapular to be silvery?
[/quote]
There are silver brown scapular medals, but "it is the wish of our Holy Father, the Pope, that the SCAPULAR MEDAL should not be worn in place of the CLOTH SCAPULAR [i]without sufficient reason. [/i]Mary cannot be pleased with anyone who substitutes the medal out of vanity or fear to make open profession of faith in her. Such persons run the risk of [i]not receiving [/i]the PROMISE. The medal is not noted for the miraculous preservations attributed to the BROWN CLOTH SCAPULAR."
There are also different types of scapulars. This silvery scapular may not be a brown scapular but a different type like the white scapular of the Most Blessed Trinity.

Maximilianus

There are 18 approved small scapulars, some of them affiliated with a confraternity or an order(19 if you count the Green Scapular, although it's not really a scapular). None of them are silvery brown. There are also a lot of "novelty" scapulars out there, like plastic and leather or wood ones.

Chrysophylax

I guess I am not exactly sure, but I have been wearing a scapular since third grade. I have always simply worn mine believing in the intercession and protection of Mary and keeping in my mind and heart a devotion to her. I suppose this is a perfect chance for me to find out more about this devotion.

MargaretTeresa

Someone mentioned the ones someone bought while visiting St Edith Stein's Carmel and mailed to those who asked. I haven't seen it yet... but will WEDNESDAY! :w00t:

Here's more about this devotion:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=109489"]site[/url]

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=15139"]site[/url]

Here's another devotion you might be interested in: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=113835"]site[/url]

IamMyBeloveds

I cherish wearing my brown scapular! Someone once told me that it is a constant sign that Our Lady's hands are always on your shoulder, directing you in everything. It is a sign that you are constantly thinking of her, and she, in turn, is constantly thinking of you.

"One day, through the rosary and the scapular, Our Lady will save the world". -St. Dominic

"Wear on your breast the holy scapular of Carmel. There are many excellent Marian devotions, but few are as deep-rooted among the faithful and so richly blessed by the popes. Besides, how motherly is the sabbatine privilege!" -St. Josemaria Escriva

Excellent description of the Brown Scapular:
[url="http://www.carmelitedcj.org/saints/scapular.asp"]http://www.carmelite...ts/scapular.asp[/url]

[img]http://www.turnbacktogod.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Our-Lady-of-Mount-Carmel.jpg[/img]
Mary, Queen of Carmel and Queen of Heaven, ora pro nobis!

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313226123' post='2286898']
my brown scapular smells bad. Is there a proper way to clean it?
[/quote]

Go buy a new one, stinky.

Maximilianus

You all need one of these

[url="http://www.cenacle.co.uk/"][img]http://www.cenacle.co.uk/images/cenacle/medium/R0209-alt-350.jpg[/img][/url]

Greetings!

Does anyone out there wear the brown scapular? I have a few questions about the devotion and keep finding different answers...so I was wondering:

- Does one need to enroll in the scapular to take on the devotion and be eligible for the Sabbatine Privilege or is it sufficient to get it blessed as a non-third order lay Catholic? [/quote]

It's important to keep in mind that there are 3 different scapulars associated with the Carmelites. The first is the full size scapular worn by religious friars and nuns which forms part of their habit. This is the original scapular. The second is the medium sized scapular worn by those who belong to the Third Order, an association of lay people who make binding promises to live according to the Rule of St. Albert and in the spirit of Carmel. The third is the smallest palm-sized (or smaller) scapular which is worn by lay people as an act of devotion and is not associated with any binding promises or vows. Anyone can wear the little lay scapular, even religious in other orders.

It is valid to wear the little scapular without being invested in it. If you simply wear the scapular you are still asking for Mary's help to grow in holiness and reach Heaven when you die. You do not reap the benefits of any of the other promises, however, so if you are a practicing Catholic it is better, though not mandatory, to be invested in your scapular. All you have to do is contact a priest, any priest, and ask him for his assistance in your enrollment.

If you are not a Catholic but are interested in joining the Church you cannot be enrolled in the scapular but it is still a very good thing to wear one.

[quote]
- What exactly are the duties that are to be maintained for the devotion? I understand that some aspects of the Carmelite charism come into play here (e.g.- chastity based on one's state in life) but have gotten different answers regarding the daily devotions required (some say you should pray the "Little Office" or "Liturgy of the Hours", others say you should say the rosary daily, and still others say that another type of daily devotion/Marian prayer is permitted).[/quote]

When you are enrolled in the little brown scapular you are required to pray the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. You can have this changed, however, to praying a 5 decade rosary with the permission of a priest. So, if you would prefer to pray the rosary instead simply ask the priest who invests you for his permission. If you are already enrolled, ask any priest for permission to pray the rosary instead. You can ask right after your next confession or the next time you have a rosary blessed, etc. Keep in mind, too, that if you are already invested and have not been praying the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary because you did not understand or because you forgot or because you simply did not want to do so there is no sin attached to this omission -- you simply have not gained all the benefits of wearing your scapular.

Individuals who are members of the [i]Third Order[/i] of Mount Carmel are required to pray the Liturgy of the Hours after making their official Promises [i]and not before[/i]. This is a different kind of investiture, however, for a different kind of scapular, so keep this in mind.

[quote]
- Does the actual scapular itself have to be wool? I have heard that it should be unless allergies are present, while others say that metals or wooden scapulars are acceptable.[/quote]

The woolen scapular is preferable if you are able to wear it. Pope Pius XII actually allowed a medal to be used in place of a woolen scapular so that those who were living in the Tropics would be able to participate in this devotion. In our area of the world an allergy to wool is one of the few difficulties which an average person would experience that would make a medal a more desirable alternative. Pope Pius XII requested, at the time that he issued the allowance, however, that those who are able to wear the traditional wool scapular should continue to do so. Scapular devotees often point out that there are no miraculous stories attached to the scapular medal as there are with the traditional wool scapular, but the choice is still yours and a scapular medal is certainly better than no scapular at all.

[quote]I am currently discerning whether to take on this beautiful devotion, but am not discerning the lay Carmelites or any third orders and am trying to understand exactly what this would entail.

Thank you and God Bless!
[/quote]

It may be helpful, then, to note that an investiture in the brown scapular is not binding! If you are invested and decide later that you cannot keep the devotion you can simply stop. You may continue wearing the scapular with fewer spiritual benefits or you can stop wearing the scapular completely. If you decide, after that, that you want to receive the benefits of your scapular, you can begin again at any time simply by resuming your devotional acts of wearing the scapular and praying either the Little Office or the rosary (with permission as noted above, of course).

I have heard people say that they found it easier to pray a daily rosary after beginning to wear the scapular -- even before they were invested in it. I began wearing a brown scapular around the time I signed up for RCIA and began praying a daily rosary and the Little Office not long after that, so I'm not sure if the scapular helped or not! However, I think that the more you offer in devotion to Our Lady the more she will supply you with the assistance you need in order to grow in sanctity and virtue which in turn makes it easier to offer acts of devotion to Our Lady. Thus the ancient saying of our Church "De Maria numquam satis", or "Of Mary there can never be too much!"

• 2 weeks later...
thegraceandpeace

First of all, I would like to thank those of you who responded with your own experiences with the scapular. I actually posted a follow-up over on the "Open Mic" (forgot that this thread was posted here) for anyone who may be interested:
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=115190"]http://www.phatmass....howtopic=115190[/url]

Bottom line: I don't know if I'm ready for:

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1313232314' post='2286926']
You all need one of these

[url="http://www.cenacle.co.uk/"][img]http://www.cenacle.co.uk/images/cenacle/medium/R0209-alt-350.jpg[/img][/url]
[/quote]

...so I'm seriously reconsidering...

Edited by thegraceandpeace