An Old School Catholic Message Board

The St. Monica Club

MissyP89

So a brief run-in with Margaret Teresa in VS made me realize I'm not the only one who is a practicing Catholic in an otherwise non-practicing/fallen away/non-Catholic family. Specifically in our case, the only practicing children of non-practicing (or whatever) parents.

It's a very tough place to be in. We need God and each other.

Here, we can talk and vent and pray.

If there is anyone in your family who needs to come over or back to the Church, this is the place to be.

St. Monica, pray for us!
Our Lady, Help of Christians, pray for us!

Edited by MissyP89

she_who_is_not

My family thinks I'm stupid because I believe in God. They accept it but I can't really talk to them about it. They make fun of me and it hurts my feelings. I love them and I want them to know Christ's love.

I don't really count for this, since my mom is Methodist and my dad is...I think an Atheist? I just know he's really anti-Christian at points. My uncle was raised Catholic, but I don't think he really considers himself such; 30+ years ago when he married my aunt, she asked if he was Catholic and he replied, "I guess, they send me a calendar every year."

But, I was the only Catholic in the family when my uncle's parents died. I just want to say for those who post in this thread that there is always hope until the dying day. When Katherine, my uncle's mother became ill, she started to return to the Catholic faith. She died, as far as I know, in Communion with the Church! Her husband however was bitter and wouldn't allow for her to have a funeral Mass, instead insisting the priest perform the funeral at the funeral home.

Months later, Pete, her husband, was diagnosed with a widespread stage four cancer. As he found himself facing death, he turned back to the Church of his youth as well, after decades of not so much as attending Mass. When my aunt called over one day, someone else answered the phone, "Sorry, he's receiving the Eucharist right now." When Pete was dying, it was my Methodist aunt that asked my uncle, "Your dad is Catholic, doesn't he have some sort of thing we need a priest for?" Pete died before the (almost comical if not for death being involved) set of events to get a priest there, but Father did what he still could once he arrived.

It may take years, it may take decades. It may seem as if it will never come, but there is always hope.

Edit: As for the two of them, I pray daily for their souls. I also daily pray for the souls of my lapsed Catholic health teacher in high school, Felix and a prof Thomas; and made a promise once years ago that I still keep to pray for one other soul's repose.

Edited by BG45

Lil'Monster

aww thanks guys for making a thread about me!!!!! :P

yes my name is Monica!!!!! yes im a saint...no im too mean to be one though :|

MargaretTeresa

When God writes you a hard path, one must walk it and try to discover the paths for themselves.

After 2 weeks of college partying gone wrong my freshman year, I knew I needed to change. While I knew my beliefs were aligned with those of the Church, I first attended a Baptist church since that's where most of my friends went. Eventually, a falling out over Ash Wednesday led to me leaving that church. I then went to a Methodist church, seeing as that is what I was raised in. But it just didn't sit right either.

I had discovered Catholicism when I was 15. I had read up on it, studied it, prayed to God about whether this is where I was supposed to be. I finally joined the church on April 28, against my mom's wishes. I feel like she has no say, seeing I'm 21 and can think and act for myself.

I hide books under my bed, letters and info on different religious orders stuck in the slats. My Rosaries are scattered between purses and my backpack. Friends are keeping my Confirmation candle, Holy Water, more books and letters, and a chapel veil safe from her. (She once tore up a tee shirt bc my uncle that she hates sent it to me. It was from London.)

That's the short story. longer story[url="http://undergroundconfession.wordpress.com"] here[/url]. Look for the "Harsh Realities" essays. There's one more to go... it's just taking a while.

MargaretTeresa

Oh - and the best part. My nun run to NOLA is "visiting graduated friends in NOLA since this will be my only vacation this summer" in Mom-speak

I'm not QUITE in this club, seeing as my mom and brothers are definitely practicing, but my dad isn't Catholic. You guys have my prayers, though!

Basilisa Marie

My family is Catholic, with extended family Catholic and Lutheran, but I've definitely become bffs with St. Monica over a few close friends. :)

FutureSister2009

St. Monica is my Confirmation Saint. I still love to pray to her. She's wonderful. I want to be in the club! I've been asking for her to give me some patience as I anxiously wait to enter into Religious Life

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1312428836' post='2281279']
My family is Catholic, with extended family Catholic and Lutheran, but I've definitely become bffs with St. Monica over a few close friends. :)
[/quote]

Not anyone I know, right? :saint2:

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312425856' post='2281243']
When God writes you a hard path, one must walk it and try to discover the paths for themselves.

After 2 weeks of college partying gone wrong my freshman year, I knew I needed to change. While I knew my beliefs were aligned with those of the Church, I first attended a Baptist church since that's where most of my friends went. Eventually, a falling out over Ash Wednesday led to me leaving that church. I then went to a Methodist church, seeing as that is what I was raised in. But it just didn't sit right either.

I had discovered Catholicism when I was 15. I had read up on it, studied it, prayed to God about whether this is where I was supposed to be. I finally joined the church on April 28, against my mom's wishes. I feel like she has no say, seeing I'm 21 and can think and act for myself.

I hide books under my bed, letters and info on different religious orders stuck in the slats. My Rosaries are scattered between purses and my backpack. Friends are keeping my Confirmation candle, Holy Water, more books and letters, and a chapel veil safe from her. (She once tore up a tee shirt bc my uncle that she hates sent it to me. It was from London.)

That's the short story. longer story[url="http://undergroundconfession.wordpress.com"] here[/url]. Look for the "Harsh Realities" essays. There's one more to go... it's just taking a while.
[/quote]

We're even the same age. I think you're actually my twin.

Now, I admit my situation isn't nearly as bad. Things got much easier once I went to college. Though I did let it slip that I went to Mass on a Tuesday during my lunch break with a friend and got quite the earful.

In my last semester, I committed to going to daily Mass every single day because I have no idea when I'll get that opportunity again. I don't have my driver's license, so I have to ask to be taken everywhere. Thankfully, going on the weekend is no longer an issue. Unfortunately, I still can't make it to non-Sunday holy days. I'm working on that.

I miss Adoration the most. I had the luxury of living down the street from a tabernacle at school. It's been months now. I'll only get to go again if I'm out with my friends.

Though, again, things are worlds better than they were when I reverted originally back in 2007. I was too zealous and made the mistake of saying "if you don't accept Jesus you'll go to hell!" I still regret that moment -- I had the best of intentions, but no gentleness at the time. That did a lot of damage. It took a month before I got to make my returning confession, and even now, I never mention when I do go. It's easier just to keep it to myself.

I've learned to relax. To try not to take offense when things are said. I used to be extremely sensitive about faith issues. Now, I offer it up, and feel thankful for even the littlest moves forward. Gotta always be optimistic. Hope does spring eternal. I believe that. :)

MargaretTeresa

Oh, not taking offense... It's entertaining how much there is when surrounded by SoBaps and other Protestants at school. I miss Adoration a lot too. That quiet time with the Lord... Rosary which usually turns into reading scripture which turns into journaling which turns into sketches of saints, angels, Mary and Brother.

One thing I'm looking forward to when I get back is the fact that we're going to do a Rosary walk (Fr Joe calls it Rosercize). It's pretty much going to be a bunch of us girls out at the most popular walking path in town. WOOT!

Please pray for me to find a job that means I'll be able to go to Adoration and Theology on Tap.

Catholic = Love.

PS. Missy-We must have been separated at birth. I wonder where you were born? I was born in St Louis (in a CATHOLIC hospital lol)

Ash Wednesday

St. Monica was my confirmation saint. And I'm probably the only fully practicing Catholic in my immediate family so I'm loving this thread.

Many prayers for your job hunt. These are really awful times, especially for people our age without much of a financial cushion.

For me, the big issue is that now that I'm graduated and back home with my parents, I lost the community and freedom I had while living up there. Moving out won't fix that -- besides, despite the spiritual difference I love my parents to bits.

I'm not really sure how to better my situation at all now. I can't get to my friends because I don't drive, and only go to gatherings and stuff when they come down and pick me up. All of my Catholic friends live out of town, so asking them to cart me feels intrusive and unfair.

My parish is all 65+. We have no young adult ministry. I don't really know where to go from here.