An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

InPersonaChriste

haha I always thought that if I said my absoloute favorites to anyone it would ruin how special the name was to me. But I think that is just superstition.

Anyways.
Sr. Marie Claire of The Sacred Heart; As I was born on the feast day of the Sacred Heart. Also Claire of Assisi (Chiara or Clare) is special to me, and of course Mary.
Sr. Margaret Therese of the Divine Mercy: Margaret of Scotland, and Therese for Santa Teresa de jesus de los Andes en Chile.

MargaretTeresa

I believe most cloistered communities do some version of Mary followed by a name.

Another name I really like, without the Mary, is Sr Francis Chiara of the Holy Eucharist

Clare~Therese

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312755930' post='2283116']
Faustina is popular!
[/quote]

I guess so!

Many years ago when I was a Religious sister, we were given the opportunity to submit 3 names prior to our Clothing. I submitted Rosa, Elizabeth and Francis, and hoped I would get one of the 3. I got my 3rd choice - Francis and coupled with Our Lady's name I became Sister Francis Mary. One poor postulant in our group ended up with Gertrude, as there were already Sisters with all of her 3 choices - years later when we had the chance to revert to our Baptismal names if we so wished, she reverted to Patricia!

HopefulBride

When I first started discerning, I had plenty of names that I wanted to choose from. However as I get further in my discernment and as I discover more about myself and the saints I have dropped some of them and I added a couple. I have a list but I think that list might very well change by the time I am ready to enter the novitiate either because there may be other sisters with that name or either because Mother and I may decide on something else.

Edited by HopefulBride

OnlySunshine

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1312801127' post='2283282']
When I first started discerning, I had plenty of names that I wanted to choose from. However as I get further in my discernment and as I discover more about myself and the saints I have dropped some of them and I added a couple. I have a list but I think that list might very well change by the time I am ready to enter the novitiate either because there may be other sisters with that name or either because Mother and I may decide on something else.
[/quote]

LOL, I think all of us do that--I know I have. I used to want to be named Sr. Mary-Anne Therese of the Sacred Heart in honor of St. Anne (my confirmation saint and birthday saint) and St. Therese of Lisieux. I realized, though, that I am more attached to Divine Mercy instead of the Sacred Heart, but both are utterly beautiful. In the past year, I also came to the realization that my most favorite saint is NOT St. Therese or St. Anne, but St. Elizabeth of the Visitation. I also absolutely love St. Elizabeth of Hungary. That's why my favorite name is now:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Divine Mercy

:)

I keep coming up with new "favorite" saints! It's like favorite hymns- you can't just have one or two!

But some thoughts on names:
Sr. Eucharistia Joy (after Mary, Cause of Joy) *Ultimate Favorite... currently!!!! :love:
Sr. Jordan (Blessed Jordan of Saxony) Peter
Sr. Mary Teresa

Who knows, by the time it's actually a possibility, I'm sure I'll change my mind much more!

Also, with the community I'm discerning with, it's very possible my name choices will be picked already! Thanks be to God, they have a very full novitiate!

Little Flower

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1312745601' post='2283038']

How could you have possibly guessed???

:ninja:
[/quote]
It was really a wild guess. A shot in the dark. really.

rotfl

Little Flower

And I forgot about titles! So this is my revised list, with titles (in order of favoriteness)

Sr. Marie Therese of the Child Jesus

Sr. Therese Marie of the Child Jesus

Sr. Marie Bernadette of Jesus

This one sounds cool - Sr. Marie Veritas of Christ Crucified.

And I decided I like Sr. Philomena Marie of the Child Jesus (or Sr. Marie Philomena. either way.)

I haven't really thought much about titles though. So they'll probably change.

You know, one of the nice things about when your gonna be a nun is you can think about your name, but if your gonna get married and you
haven't met the guy yet you don't know anything about what your names gonna be! :nun:

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1312832330' post='2283417']
It was really a wild guess. A shot in the dark. really.

rotfl
[/quote]

Oui. Bien sur!

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1312832756' post='2283419']
And I forgot about titles! So this is my revised list, with titles (in order of favoriteness)

Sr. Marie Therese of the Child Jesus

Sr. Therese Marie of the Child Jesus

Sr. Marie Bernadette of Jesus

This one sounds cool - Sr. Marie Veritas of Christ Crucified.

And I decided I like Sr. Philomena Marie of the Child Jesus (or Sr. Marie Philomena. either way.)

I haven't really thought much about titles though. So they'll probably change.

You know, one of the nice things about when your gonna be a nun is you can think about your name, but if your gonna get married and you
haven't met the guy yet you don't know anything about what your names gonna be! :nun:
[/quote]

I totally agree! I love thinking about names...and my list gets progressively longer every week!

Little Flower

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1312834199' post='2283431']

Oui. Bien sur!

[/quote]

my apologies for having absolutely no idea what that means ;) lol

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1312834199' post='2283431']
I totally agree! I love thinking about names...and my list gets progressively longer every week!
[/quote]

I KNOW!!!!!! its fun isnt it!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1312834491' post='2283439']

my apologies for having absolutely no idea what that means ;) lol

I KNOW!!!!!! its fun isnt it!
[/quote]

French Lesson!

Oui = yes
Bien sur = of course. And of course there's supposed to be an accent over the "u", but I can't figure out how to make my new computer do that.

Little Flower

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1312835175' post='2283447']

French Lesson!

Oui = yes
Bien sur = of course. And of course there's supposed to be an accent over the "u", but I can't figure out how to make my new computer do that.
[/quote]
I see! I'm thinking about maybe taking French this year... prob not tho

I have some ideas for my name, but they feel too precious to share publicly. Right now I like them as a secret between me and God. :love:

The names listed on here are beautiful. MaterMisericordiae, St Elizabeth is my confirmation saint, chosen because of her words to Our Lady ("Who am I, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"). Since my confirmation I keep discovering even more reasons to value her company. A remarkable woman.