An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

OnlySunshine

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1312838734' post='2283468']
I have some ideas for my name, but they feel too precious to share publicly. Right now I like them as a secret between me and God. :love:

The names listed on here are beautiful. MaterMisericordiae, St Elizabeth is my confirmation saint, chosen because of her words to Our Lady ("Who am I, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"). Since my confirmation I keep discovering even more reasons to value her company. A remarkable woman.
[/quote]

I love Elizabeth's greeting, too. The full greeting in the Gospel of Luke brings me to tears because it is incredibly beautiful.

[b]And it came to pass, that when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the infant leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: [i]Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For behold as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed art thou that hast believed, because those things shall be accomplished that were spoken to thee by the Lord. [/i][/b]

It also means so much to me to have Mary and Elizabeth combined since it reminds me of Mary's humility and grace. Whenever I think of Mary and Elizabeth, I think of Mary's Canticle about God's promise of redemption and mercy. :)

Deus te Amat

I usually don't share my thoughts on this, but my previous favorite name is probably not in the running anymore, so...

Sr. Siena Marie. I think it is quite beautiful, but I no longer think it is quite suitable. :)

I always liked the name Sister Gianna Francesca of the Agonizing Christ. It has the names of my three favorite saints in it (Padre Pio, Gianna Molla, and Father Francis!) and the Agony in the Garden is one of my favorite images of Christ.
The SsEWs all have Mary in their names, though. It's an unofficial tradition. So, I was thinking Sister Pio Mariana. I LOVE Sister Mary Anthony, but it's taken already.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1312857875' post='2284080']
I always liked the name Sister Gianna Francesca of the Agonizing Christ. It has the names of my three favorite saints in it (Padre Pio, Gianna Molla, and Father Francis!) and the Agony in the Garden is one of my favorite images of Christ.
The SsEWs all have Mary in their names, though. It's an unofficial tradition. So, I was thinking Sister Pio Mariana. I LOVE Sister Mary Anthony, but it's taken already.
[/quote]

I think Sr. Pia Maria is beautiful because Pia means "love." Essentially, your name would be Sr. Love Mary. That's too cool!

As far as Sr. Mary Anthony goes, you could put a spin on it. There is a Sister of Life with the name Sr. Antonia Maria (their current VD, BTW!).

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Laudate_Dominum

Whoa. Clicked the wrong thread. Since I'm here...hmm...a few ideas:

1. Sister Mary Galadriel
2. Sister Princess Buttercup
3. Sister Samwise Gamgee of the Shire and the Holy Face

Oh, never mind. :jester:

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1312850580' post='2283616']
I usually don't share my thoughts on this, but my previous favorite name is probably not in the running anymore, so...

Sr. Siena Marie. I think it is quite beautiful, but I no longer think it is quite suitable. :)
[/quote]

Why not? It's a beautiful name.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1312898536' post='2284727']

I think Sr. Pia Maria is beautiful because Pia means "love." Essentially, your name would be Sr. Love Mary. That's too cool!

As far as Sr. Mary Anthony goes, you could put a spin on it. There is a Sister of Life with the name Sr. Antonia Maria (their current VD, BTW!).
[/quote]

Pia is from the Latin meaning reverent (it gives us the words pious, piety, and all the derivatives). Does it mean love in some other language? I like it when names share meanings like that. I have a friend whose name (Sahar) means dawn in Arabic and moon in Hebrew.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1312921711' post='2284992']

Pia is from the Latin meaning reverent (it gives us the words pious, piety, and all the derivatives). Does it mean love in some other language? I like it when names share meanings like that. I have a friend whose name (Sahar) means dawn in Arabic and moon in Hebrew.
[/quote]

I actually think I got it confused with another name. Oops! :blush:

Little Flower

the verb "love" is Amo (Amare, Amavi, Amatus). So I think the feminine form to make it a name would be Amata. If I understand properly. Because I think you would take the fourth principle part to make it a name since its sort of a noun (sorry cant remember the right word for it - i forget stuff over summer break!) and use the feminine ending, which would be Amata.

FutureSister2009

Actually I add one more to the Carmelite list. Sr. Marie Therese of the Infant Jesus. Is it wrong that I love St. Therese a little more than my Confirmation Saint St. Monica? I do still pray to her often

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1312987972' post='2285493']
Actually I add one more to the Carmelite list. Sr. Marie Therese of the Infant Jesus. Is it wrong that I love St. Therese a little more than my Confirmation Saint St. Monica? I do still pray to her often
[/quote]

Favorite saints are definitely not exclusive- they are all working up there to bring you closer to Jesus- so there is no competition and nothing to be worried about!

Sr. Rocamadour

It's a pelgrim place in France. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocamadour#Sights"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocamadour#Sights[/url] and I love the spirituality of St. Bruno, St. Benedict and the desert fathers. They had started out in the mountains. :love:

It turns out that the name I want is taken at the SsEW! It contains names of great people in my life.

They are common names, so I don't think I'll get to pick them anywhere I might enter. :(

BUT!!!! I'm thinking of taking their middle names, and using that! It is quite beautiful still.

Edited by JoyfulLife

I always comment on these threads, both because I was in this position before, and I simply LOVE names!! (My husband and I have looked at the list of DSMME Sisters' names listed on their website to get name ideas, haha! We want to have many children and hopefully a few vocations!)

My choices were:

Sister Faustina Marie
Sister Marie Therese
Sister Mary Magdalene

I forget all of my title choices.

I received Sr. Mary Faustina of Our Lady of Mercy :love:

If the SsEW ever get another Sr. Faustina, I will make it my special duty to pray for her everyday! :)

Guest brjuniper

I've toyed with this for a while, but here is a list of three that I would like to have:

Br. Jean Baptiste Marie (for St. John Baptist de La Salle)
Br. Aloysius Maria
Br. Nicholas Marie