An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1312934258' post='2285162']
the verb "love" is Amo (Amare, Amavi, Amatus). So I think the feminine form to make it a name would be Amata. If I understand properly. Because I think you would take the fourth principle part to make it a name since its sort of a noun (sorry cant remember the right word for it - i forget stuff over summer break!) and use the feminine ending, which would be Amata.
[/quote]

Depends a little on what you want the name to say.

So, "Amata" (the fourth principle part) means "Beloved." In English this has gotten shortened and modified to "Amy."

"Amanda" is a gerundive, which includes a sense of obligation. "Amanda" means "She must be loved" or, more gently, "lovable."

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1313114013' post='2286291']
Religious names and baby names work together- especially since it's now fairly common for women to take men's saint names :)
[/quote]

Always has been. Didn't your parents have a bunch of "Sister Mary Aloysius" or something like that teaching in school? (When congregations had 50 new postulants a year, it became pretty slim pickings in the name department pretty quickly!)

If anything a lot of communities have made a point of feminizing their names. (So a Sister Robert became Sister Roberta after Vatican II, Sr. Charles became Sr. Carla, etc.)

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1313161409' post='2286536']

Always has been. Didn't your parents have a bunch of "Sister Mary Aloysius" or something like that teaching in school? (When congregations had 50 new postulants a year, it became pretty slim pickings in the name department pretty quickly!)

If anything a lot of communities have made a point of feminizing their names. (So a Sister Robert became Sister Roberta after Vatican II, Sr. Charles became Sr. Carla, etc.)
[/quote]

A SSJ I know kept her baptismal name--Veronica--even when she made vows 50 years ago. One sister in her convent still goes by Sr. James publicly, but at the convent is known by her baptismal name. It gets REALLY confusing!

IamMyBeloveds

Sr. Mary Elizabeth

after Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity! :)

[img]http://www.icspublications.org/images/trinity.jpg[/img]

Thanks be to God it was and will again be my religious name in Carmel!

Edited by IamMyBeloveds

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1313149067' post='2286473']

Depends a little on what you want the name to say.

So, "Amata" (the fourth principle part) means "Beloved." In English this has gotten shortened and modified to "Amy."

"Amanda" is a gerundive, which includes a sense of obligation. "Amanda" means "She must be loved" or, more gently, "lovable."
[/quote]

That was my name. Sr. Mary Amata of the Divine Love of Jesus. Feast day was Sacred Heart. It was a wonderful name!

• 1 month later...
OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1312700849' post='2282863']
My favorite female saints are St. Elizabeth of the Visitation and St. Elizabeth of Hungary. My absolute favorite name in religious life is:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Divine Mercy

It honors the Blessed Mother and my two favorite saints, plus I have had a devotion to Divine Mercy ever since my reversion to the Church in 2007. It is very special to me. If for some reason I was unable to have that name because another Sister had it already or something, I would choose from these:

Sr. Mary Isabella of the Divine Mercy (Isabella is the Italian version of Elizabeth)
Sr. Bethany Marie
Sr. Marie-Therese (for St. Therese of Lisieux)
Sr. Miriam Rose (for St. Rose of Lima, another amesome saint)
Sr. Mary Catherine (for St. Catherine of Siena)
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I found out that my two favorite names -- Elizabeth and Catherine -- are already being in use by the RSMs. If, God-willing, I were to enter there, I'd have to have a different name. I was thinking last night and thought that if Mother General picked out a name that was relevant to my discernment, I would not be surprised if I get something like Sr. Mary Faustina since Divine Mercy has been a running theme in my discernment. I still love:

Sr. Miriam Rose
Sr. Bethany Marie
Sr. Marie-Therese

But I don't think the Sisters get to submit a list of three names. I'll have to ask the VD when I visit next month. I know they don't receive titles like "of the Divine Mercy." I read on some old posts here that Mother attaches a mystery to your name. Like if you had Sr. Mary Faustina, like St. Faustina you would promote Divine Mercy. :)

Little Flower

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313297700' post='2287494']
Irrelevant. You'll be able to call me just "the Pope".
[/quote]
excuse me sir but you will need an official title to go by when you are the pope. you need to have your decision made in advance. what if the cardinals call you at 230 in the morning and need to know what your pope name will be. what will you do then if your not prepared

i<3franciscans

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1313271838' post='2287155']
I think I would do:

Sr. Therese Grace

Sr. Marie Therese

Sr. Catherine Therese !!!
[/quote]
Sr. Catherine Therese..... I like that! ;)