An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

i<3franciscans

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313297700' post='2287494']
Irrelevant. You'll be able to call me just "the Pope".
[/quote]
:notworthy: All Hail .... what is his name??? OH! um "the Pope".... yeah that won't work. :|

;)

brandelynmarie

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1313297700' post='2287494']
Irrelevant. You'll be able to call me just "the Pope".
[/quote]

:wave: :pope2:

brandelynmarie

Hmmmm :think2: Are there 2 of these name threads running amuck around here? :) Names: Sister Mary Magdalene or Maria Magdalena or Therese Marie or Maria Amata. Or maybe even Maria Rosaria. I still like Sister Mary Trinity.

Queen'sDaughter

My name choices change quite frequently, but here are my current favorites:

Sister Rose Pieta of the Angels

Sister Dolorosa of the Angels

Sister Rose Angeli of the Lord's Passion

Rose or Dolorosa after our Lady. Of the Angels or Angeli in honor of the Guardian angels, and Pieta, Dolorosa, or of the Lord's Passion in honor of, well, the Lord's Passion.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1312700849' post='2282863']
My favorite female saints are St. Elizabeth of the Visitation and St. Elizabeth of Hungary. My absolute favorite name in religious life is:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth of the Divine Mercy

It honors the Blessed Mother and my two favorite saints, plus I have had a devotion to Divine Mercy ever since my reversion to the Church in 2007. It is very special to me. If for some reason I was unable to have that name because another Sister had it already or something, I would choose from these:

Sr. Mary Isabella of the Divine Mercy (Isabella is the Italian version of Elizabeth)
Sr. Bethany Marie
Sr. Marie-Therese (for St. Therese of Lisieux)
Sr. Miriam Rose (for St. Rose of Lima, another amesome saint)
Sr. Mary Catherine (for St. Catherine of Siena)
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I found out that there are already 2 Sr. Elizabeth's in the RSMs, so it would be highly unlikely (but still possible) that I would get the name that I really like. However, lately, the thought keeps coming to me about St. Faustina and how, with my deep devotion to Divine Mercy, it might be the name that the Holy Spirit is insistent on. I keep hearing Sr. Mary Faustina in my heart. I've heard that the RSMs have the tradition of Mother General giving the name and, whatever saint you are named after, you keep to their mystery. I firmly believe that, should I enter religious life (God-willing), it will be my mission to make Divine Mercy known to mankind through corporal and spiritual works of mercy. Although, Sr. Mary Elizabeth is a beautiful name, if the Holy Spirit deems another name to be mine, I will submit willingly. Faustina is a beautiful name, anyway. Apparently, it means "blessed." :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

• 3 weeks later...
AccountDeleted

I have been thinking about this for awhile and have absolutely no idea, except for a light-hearted idea that maybe I should take the name of Sister Onesimus, after the slave who ran away and was converted by St Paul. The name means 'useful' and when I was living with Rosalind Moss (now Mother Miriam), I told her I wanted to be useful, and so she started calling me Onesimus in fun. One of the problems with this is that although Onesimus is listed in the Calendar of Saints (Feb 16th) - he is not in the liturgical calendar and there is no Office memorial for him and I doubt any communities would celebrate his feast day! That might be okay as the day would slip by unnoticed :) but I don't know how the superior would feel about that :P I would have to ask.

Anyway, in my first Carmel, the Prioress named me Sr Teresa of Jesus (way too ambitious for me) and in the next one it was Sr Michael and in the one after, Sr Michael Marie, and in the last one, they preferred that sisters keep their baptismal name.

I was thinking of Sr Julian of Jesus (after Julian of Norwich) - another saint with no celebrated feast day (the Anglicans seem to like her more)

and then I thought of Sr Mechtilde (because of Waltzing Matilda and she is Benedictine)

but honestly I don't really care any more I guess. Maybe if I do get that far, I will ask the superior to choose one for me.

One of the sisters I knew was called Sr Philomena, who has been removed from the liturgical calendar so her feast day isn't celebrated any more even though Philomena still has lots of admirers - a bit like St Christopher! so maybe Onesimus is as good as Philomena! :)

I was reading an obituary the other day and the sister's name was Sr. Marie Veronique' of the Face of Jesus. What a beautiful name!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I'm not sure, but here are a few ideas off the bat:

Claire Mary of the Visitation
Mary-Therese of the Passion
Dolores of the Passion (I know, a little cliche or something like that :))

i<3franciscans

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1320436824' post='2331358']
I'm not sure, but here are a few ideas off the bat:

Claire Mary of the Visitation
Mary-Therese of the Passion
Dolores of the Passion (I know, a little cliche or something like that :))
[/quote]
Your second choice is quite beautiful!

I'm really starting to like these names since Sr. Mary Elizabeth is out of the picture for the RSMs:

Sr. M. Faustina Therese
Sr. Maria Faustina (like St. Faustina's religious name)
Sr. Genevieve Marie (I think it would be difficult for people to pronounce Genevieve, though)

I really like the first one because it incorporates two of my favorite saints. ;)

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1320438007' post='2331368']
Your second choice is quite beautiful!
[/quote]
Thanks!
I have thought some more and these are my top choices:
Sr. Mary Therese of the Visitation and the Seven Sorrows (probably my total favorite)
Sr. Claire Dolores of the Visitation and the Seven Sorrows (because I am kind of scared of the thought of giving up my Baptismal name :))

I have no clue why the Visitation has always been one of my all time favorite mysteries, and I have a HUGE devotion to the 7 Sorrows of the BVM.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1320439981' post='2331383']

I have a HUGE devotion to the 7 Sorrows of the BVM.
[/quote]

AH! Same!!! Although I have been slacking lately, I love the meditations...

Having come to terms with the rather sad fact that I'll never have a religious name (something I was really looking forward to when I thought I had a vocation to religious life), I'll share what I would have wanted mine to be:

Sister Mary Emmanuel of the Incarnation.

God incarnate is the lynchpin of my spirituality. It is also the reason why I am a Christian. It expresses the meaning of Emmanuel - God-with-us - in such a profound way.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1320439477' post='2331380']
I'm really starting to like these names since Sr. Mary Elizabeth is out of the picture for the RSMs:

Sr. M. Faustina Therese
Sr. Maria Faustina (like St. Faustina's religious name)
Sr. Genevieve Marie (I think it would be difficult for people to pronounce Genevieve, though)

I really like the first one because it incorporates two of my favorite saints. ;)
[/quote]
I really like the first too. (I LOVE ST. FAUSTINA!)

I know a sister named Sr. Marie Genevieve and people seem to pronounce it right.... most of the time. :)

Edited by i<3franciscans