An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

OnlySunshine

[quote name='LittleWaySoul' timestamp='1344577615' post='2465416']
I've been thinking Sr. Chiara Thérèse. I haven't thought of a devotional end to it yet, though.

And to all of you who have differing wishes for different orders, why is that? Just wondering :)
[/quote]

Many times, those different names are from the different spiritualities. If a person chooses Chiara or Francis, they often do it because they are in a Franciscan order. I've seen these names that match with the spirituality of the order:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth (after Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity; for a Carmelite)
Sr. Francis (after St. Francis; for a Franciscan)
Sr. Mary Dominic (after St. Dominic; for a Dominican)
Sr. Scholastica (after St. Scholastica; for a Benedictine)

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1344584554' post='2465433']
Many times, those different names are from the different spiritualities. If a person chooses Chiara or Francis, they often do it because they are in a Franciscan order. I've seen these names that match with the spirituality of the order:

Sr. Mary Elizabeth (after Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity; for a Carmelite)
Sr. Francis (after St. Francis; for a Franciscan)
Sr. Mary Dominic (after St. Dominic; for a Dominican)
Sr. Scholastica (after St. Scholastica; for a Benedictine)
[/quote]
Ahh. I simply chose mine because these girls seem to have chosen me as a "younger sister" of sorts :love: They guide me as much as they can. I see what you mean though :)

Edited by LittleWaySoul

DiscerningCatholic

I've actually been thinking about this a lot and writing down names (like writing down "Mrs. So-and-so"), and the ones I've come up with are:

Sr. Therese Faustina
Sr. Amata Caritas
Sr. Bernadette Veritas

I love my Latin and my virtues. :) And these could very well change by the time I'm old enough to enter... :saint2:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1344442126' post='2464524']
If I don't get to use the name Elizabeth or it's other forms such as Isabelle or Bethany, I have been thinking that I would consider these names:

Sr. Gemma Marie (after St. Gemma Galgani)
Sr. Agnes Marie (after Agnus Dei or St. Agnes of Rome)
Sr. Marie-Therese (after St. Therese of Lisieux)
Sr. Mary Catherine (for St. Catherine of Siena)
[/quote]

I forgot to list my favorite name of all (after Mary Elizabeth, that is)!

Sr. Miriam Rose

I love the name Miriam as it is the Hebrew form of Our Lady's name. I also love the name Rose for St. Rose of Lima as I have become quite close to her in the past 2 years. :love:

I also wouldn't mind something like:

Sr. Faustina Marie
Sr. Madeleine Marie
Sr. Margaret Mary
Sr. Regina Marie

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312746416' post='2283045']
FSP: Sr Brit Clare (Clare is one of the patrons of journalism/television... But I'd pry drop the Brit {short form of Baptismal name})
[/quote]

You probably know this already, but "Brit" is Hebrew for "covenant". So I'd keep it. :-)

This may sound really strange but even though I've had names I'd like to submit there's a part of me that is thinking of not submitting any and just letting Mother choose for me.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345224842' post='2469241']
This may sound really strange but even though I've had names I'd like to submit there's a part of me that is thinking of not submitting any and just letting Mother choose for me.
[/quote]

This. I have a feeling that if/when, God willing, the time comes for me to take a name, I'll just say, "Name me whatever you think my name should, Mother." In fact, I think that's how the Roswell PCCs operate. Maybe your sisters operate this way as well. Even if they don't, I am sure many of the Sisters have done what you said in the quote!

Edit: Although I really do love the name Seraphina, not because of the name, but the meaning. The contemplatives are supposed to mirror the seraphim in sitting near the throne of God and praising him day and night..how beautiful. Oh well. If Mother chose a different name, it would actually feel better to know that the name came straight from God, in a sense, than merely from yourself.

Edited by emmaberry

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345229246' post='2469260']
This. I have a feeling that if/when, God willing, the time comes for me to take a name, I'll just say, "Name me whatever you think my name should, Mother." In fact, I think that's how the Roswell PCCs operate. Maybe your sisters operate this way as well. Even if they don't, I am sure many of the Sisters have done what you said in the quote!

Edit: Although I really do love the name Seraphina, not because of the name, but the meaning. The contemplatives are supposed to mirror the seraphim in sitting near the throne of God and praising him day and night..how beautiful. Oh well. [b]If Mother chose a different name, it would actually feel better to know that the name came straight from God, in a sense, than merely from yourself.[/b]
[/quote]

I like that idea too. I suppose if you have a particularly beloved patron then I can understand wanting that name. Mother Mistress said you can submit 3 names to Mother Abbess if you like, but it's not compulsory. I may well change my mind in the future but at the moment I feel like I'll just let Mother choose. Part of it is because I can imagine getting too attached to one submission and being upset if Mother chose differently. But if I just let Mother chose then like you say, the name comes from God not from me.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345232649' post='2469275']
I like that idea too. I suppose if you have a particularly beloved patron then I can understand wanting that name. Mother Mistress said you can submit 3 names to Mother Abbess if you like, but it's not compulsory. I may well change my mind in the future but at the moment I feel like I'll just let Mother choose. Part of it is because I can imagine getting too attached to one submission and being upset if Mother chose differently. But if I just let Mother chose then like you say, the name comes from God not from me.
[/quote]

Exactly! I don't know how Benedictines operate, but with the Poor Clares, each house is autonomous, so the Mother is seen as the direct successor of Saint Clare. I vaguely remember a tidbit from In This House of Brede concerning Benedictine Mothers, but I cannot recall it. I find Benedictine life so interesting, since it is such an ancient form of monasticism. You are so lucky to be called to that order!

I know what you mean about getting too attached, and possibly even upset with Mother is she chose a different name. That would be so tragic! I would rather walk around Sister Abraham for the rest of my life than have a seemingly more fitting name but hold a tiny grudge or something against Mother for choosing it over one I liked better.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345224842' post='2469241']
[/quote]

Sometimes I think it would be fun to do that since I've always wondered if the Holy Spirit would inspire the same name you love. However, my community has the Sisters to choose their own name. You can keep your baptismal name and add "Sr." or take an entirely different name. One of the new novices thought about taking Sr. Catherine but decided to keep her baptismal name at the last second. What's really strange is that some of the Sisters choose to take a religious name and are still sometimes called their baptismal name. It really confused me, especially when you aren't sure it's the same Sister. :hehe2:

I'm thinking about keeping my baptismal name, but I love Sr. Mary Elizabeth.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae