An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Want Your Religious Name To Be?

Little Flower

[quote name='Quaesivi Vultuum Tuum' timestamp='1341348892' post='2452123']
En francais nous dirions: Soeur Jean-Marie du Christ Grand Prêtre
[/quote]

Merci. Ma Francais ce ne pas tres bien. haha

I don't know if this is terrible, but I think Mother was saying that a Sister Immaculata passed away at the Roswell PCCs recently...I would love to be Sister Immaculata, unless someone snatched up that name when Sister passed.

Edited by emmaberry

PhuturePriest

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341638456' post='2453047']
I don't know if this is terrible, but I think Mother was saying that a Sister Immaculata passed away at the Roswell PCCs recently...I would love to be Sister Immaculata, unless someone snatched up that name when Sister passed.
[/quote]

Ha ha. Not terrible, just a sign that you see an opportunity when one arises. :hehe:

InPersonaChriste

I don't really want a guys name or a name no one can pronounce. My friend has an african saint name for his religious name and I cannot pronounce it.

Still on my list
Sister Claire Marie (or Marie Clare)
Sister Josemaria (okay.... just broke the guys name rule, but Josemaria has helped me so much!)
Sister Maria Teresa (for Mary and Teresa de los Andes (Juanita Fernandez) who is a saint that bugs me! In a good way though)
Sister Mary Genevieve (Surprisingly close to my name, but I like it)

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1341641951' post='2453061']
I don't really want a guys name or a name no one can pronounce. My friend has an african saint name for his religious name and I cannot pronounce it.

Still on my list
Sister Claire Marie (or Marie Clare)
Sister Josemaria (okay.... just broke the guys name rule, but Josemaria has helped me so much!)
Sister Maria Teresa (for Mary and Teresa de los Andes (Juanita Fernandez) who is a saint that bugs me! In a good way though)
Sister Mary Genevieve (Surprisingly close to my name, but I like it)
[/quote]

My cousin's name is Genevieve! I love it...almost ethereal.

Julie de Sales

My religious name will be soeur Julie de l'Agonie du Christ, in english sister Giulia of the Agony of Christ. I was inspired by the book Dialogues of the Carmelites written by Georges Bernanos, where one of the characters is Sister Blanche of the Agony of Christ. The movie is also very touching.

[quote name='Julie de Sales' timestamp='1342110576' post='2454984']
My religious name will be soeur Julie de l'Agonie du Christ, in english sister Giulia of the Agony of Christ. I was inspired by the book Dialogues of the Carmelites written by Georges Bernanos, where one of the characters is Sister Blanche of the Agony of Christ. The movie is also very touching.
[/quote]

I adore the name Julia-whatever its spelling!

Edit: Welcome to PM. :)

Edited by emmaberry

HopefulBride

[quote name='Julie de Sales' timestamp='1342110576' post='2454984']
[/quote]

Which community are you discerning with?

Julie de Sales

Well, I basically started to discern around a year ago, even if my desire to become a religious sister dates from a long time ago. Now I am in contact with a community of Poor Clares and I have in plan to do a live-in experience this summer to see if the cloistered life suits me. However, I also like the Carmelites and I will like to become one of them. You see, I'm not sure about my vocation, I need more time to figure it out.

Edited by Julie de Sales

Question: I know the Poor Clares follow the Franciscan calendar. Does this mean that you have to choose a religious name that is on the franciscan calendar? For example, if you picked, 'Catherine Siena,' when would you celebrate your feast day, since it is not on the calendar?

Thanks!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1342672936' post='2456952']
Question: I know the Poor Clares follow the Franciscan calendar. Does this mean that you have to choose a religious name that is on the franciscan calendar? For example, if you picked, 'Catherine Siena,' when would you celebrate your feast day, since it is not on the calendar?

Thanks!
[/quote]

No, I've heard names that are from other religious orders. Usually, the only rule is to pick a canonized saint name -- it doesn't matter what order. For instance, there is a Sr. Maria Teresa in the CFRs. There is no known St. Teresa in the Franciscan order, so she is most likely named after St. Teresa of Avila or another saint. There is also a Sr. Catherine Mary. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1342677706' post='2456962']
No, I've heard names that are from other religious orders. Usually, the only rule is to pick a canonized saint name -- it doesn't matter what order. For instance, there is a Sr. Maria Teresa in the CFRs. There is no known St. Teresa in the Franciscan order, so she is most likely named after St. Teresa of Avila or another saint. There is also a Sr. Catherine Mary. :)
[/quote]

Thank you Mater! I am still wondering when Srs Catherine and Teresa celebrate their feast day then?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1342677989' post='2456963']
Thank you Mater! I am still wondering when Srs Catherine and Teresa celebrate their feast day then?
[/quote]

Although it can depend on the order, the tradition is to celebrate the nameday on the Saint's feast day so:

Sr. Catherine Mary (presumably after St. Catherine of Siena) would celebrate on April 29th.

Sr. Maria Teresa (presumably after St. Teresa of Avila) would celebrate on October 15th.

Hope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Francesca or Seraphina for the seraphic Saint Francis. :love: The problem is my last name has an ending 'ee' sound, so Mary does not sound good, since it rhymes so completely with my last name. in fact, my great grandmother's name was Mary, and she insisted on going by her middle name 'Eve' because she was so humiliated by the rhyming.

So, hopefully 'Maria' will be an acceptable choice for my community..although 'Mary' [i]would[/i] be a good penance in my case.