An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Have Dinner With Any Four Saints...

LaPetiteSoeur

dominicansoul

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1313541462' post='2289492']

You and I have the same taste in saints. I love the Dominican saints so much. If I could just have a feast with St. Dominic, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Rose of Lima, and St. Martin de Porres, it would be very interesting. St. Thomas Aquinas is a little too intimidating. I like him, but I wouldn't give him good conversation. :blush:
[/quote]

its okay, Thomas would just be interested in the food ...

From what I know of him I think Aquinas was just humble enough to not show off. My Aquinas alternate though would be Bl Miguel Pro.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1313545104' post='2289543']

its okay, Thomas would just be interested in the food ...
[/quote]

What kind of food do you think he'd like to eat? If I had to guess, I would say something that would keep his brain healthy and alert like Omega-3 with DEA. Something like Wild Alaskan Salmon, hard boiled eggs, broccoli, and organic dark chocolate brownies with tea for dessert. ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Oooooh the menu! Id go for prosciutto, olives, wine and coagulated milk for appetisers. Fish and pasta for main and something chocolate for desert.

LaPetiteSoeur

I think I'd make ratatouille, with homemade focaccia bread, milk (yum!). Then for dessert, a chocolate-raspberry cake and tea.

Only four? That's really difficult!

1) Saint Maximilian Kolbe: My patron saint. I'd love to hear about how often God's providence was there in his life from him, because it's amazing just reading it all. Thank him for the intercessions for all sorts of stuff, and for being such an inspiration to do what I most likely would never be able to do and giving his life for the Gospel, calmly offering it up.
2) Mary: "So...what was it like? I mean, what did you feel when the angel told you, and then when Joseph still kept you? What was it like to watch your Son grow?" Thank her for the intercessions, try to get to know her; maybe then I'd feel more comfortable with the Rosary.
3) Bl. John Paul II: A very big influence on me, though I didn't realize it at the time. He practiced what he preached, even in the end of his life. Thank him for the intercessions when mom had cancer.
4) Bl. John Henry Cardinal Newman or Bl. Margaret of Castello: If the former, then I could probably listen to him talk for hours from his stuff I've read. If the latter, thank her for her intercessions for my cousins' difficult pregnancies.

she_who_is_not

I'd do shrimp and grits with a big green salad and french bread. Desert would be pot de cremes and chicory coffee.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1313547135' post='2289583']
4) Bl. John Henry Cardinal Newman or Bl. Margaret of Castello: If the former, then I could probably listen to him talk for hours from his stuff I've read. If the latter, thank her for her intercessions for my cousins' difficult pregnancies.
[/quote]

I love Bl. Margaret.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1313546533' post='2289567']
Oooooh the menu! Id go for prosciutto, olives, wine and coagulated milk for appetisers. Fish and pasta for main and something chocolate for desert.
[/quote]

I thought Carmelites were vegetarians?!? You're going to get into trouble for serving prosciutto! rotfl

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1313547283' post='2289589']

I love Bl. Margaret.
[/quote]

Me too! Though she was one of the first I was "properly" introduced to. The only Perpetual Adoration Chapel in my home state is named after her, and it was there that I was forced to recognize Christ in the Eucharist as truth. :) Hers were the first relics I'd ever laid eyes on and her story is still absolutely inspiring to me to this day..

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1313547289' post='2289590']

I thought Carmelites were vegetarians?!? You're going to get into trouble for serving prosciutto! rotfl
[/quote]

My priest friend is a vegetarian and got a book all on vegetarian saints when his congregation thought he was being weird.

Whenever it's a vegetarian's feast day, he makes sure to mention it in his homily. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1313547183' post='2289586']
I'd do shrimp and grits with a big green salad and french bread. Desert would be pot de cremes and chicory coffee.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what does chicory coffee taste like? I heard about that on a movie based in New Orleans and I've always wondered what it would be like. I usually stick to my Dunkin' Donuts Original Blend.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1313547425' post='2289593']

Just out of curiosity, what does chicory coffee taste like? I heard about that on a movie based in New Orleans and I've always wondered what it would be like. I usually stick to my Dunkin' Donuts Original Blend.
[/quote]
It's delicious. Though I'm not sure how to describe it. It's different, but in a good way. I do know that my grandmothers are such devotees that they buy chicory coffee and drip it the old fashioned way. cafe au lait, though, is my favorite New Orleans coffee.

Clare~Therese

Or if I could choose another four Saints (round [i]2[/i]!) I think I'd choose...

1) Blessed Maria Consolata -- I found out about her via Phatmass, love her story.
2) St. Francis of Assisi -- One of the first Saints I ever knew about. And besides, who [i]doesn't[/i] like him?
3) St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross/Edith Stein -- Because her story is really interesting too.
4) St. Thomas the Apostle -- there's some things I need to talk to him about.

As for the menu? I have no idea. But the dessert would definitely involve a lot of chocolate and ice cream. Mwahahaha!

MissScripture

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1313540392' post='2289481']
* Pope John Paul II (he will be a Saint, I'm sure)

* Saint Teresa of Avila

* Saint Paul (I've become quite inspired by him in my Bible readings)

* Saint Therese, or Saint Bernadette, or Saint Mary Alocoque, or....?
[/quote]
John Paul II IS Blessed, already. :proud:

My four:
St. Philomena, because she took/takes care of me.
Blessed John Paul II, because I would LOVE to meet him in person. He was my Papa.
St. Gianna Molla, because I want to be a mother like her (although, I could do without the dying part...at least for a long, long, long time.)
St. Anthony, because without him, I would be lost. :hehe2: