An Old School Catholic Message Board

'may You Live All The Days Of Your Life'

faithcecelia

faithcecelia

'May you live all the days of your life' is a Jewish (I believe) blessing that I first heard many years ago. Its a bit of a strange one, isn't it? But over the past few days, reading on here plus conversations I have had etc have brought it into my thoughts again, so I thought I would share a little here.

When we are discerning, and especially once we believe we know what our path is to be and are just waiting, it can be so easy to find ourselves just treading water, just going through the motions of our day to day lives, and wishing away the time we must spend 'in the world'. But is that really what we should be doing? I believe that the waiting time is valuable time and part of God's plans for our lives, and as such we owe it to Him to really [i]live[/i] while we wait.

For myself, and others I know, this time is time I never imagined I would have and never wanted to have - when I first entered, I entered for life and could not have considered leaving. Yet very quickly after I was sent away, when I was still quite fragile, I took the decision to really embrace the opportunities that this path has given me, while not losing sight of my goal of returning. I restarted old hobbies, trained as a fitness instructor, go out for meals and drinks with friends (old and new) etc. I honestly believe that it has been the right thing to do, and I am sure that, in some small way, God has used me to witness to Him and His love in these very normal, everyday situations. I believe that, however much I might have wished that my life would be different, God has used my situation for His glory.

So for all of you who are waiting, for whatever reason, to be able to enter communities, seminary, or even looking for a spouse, I leave you with this blessing

May you[i] live[/i] all the days of your life.

God bless

Edited by faithcecelia

MargaretTeresa

I'm tearing up right now.
But I still am so ready to go.
But at Krissy says, :scholar: :nun:
And now I have the yuckiest semester ever ahead.
So it's gonna be books, not living it up. :sad:

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1314048923' post='2293344']
I'm tearing up right now.
But I still am so ready to go.
But at Krissy says, :scholar: :nun:
And now I have the yuckiest semester ever ahead.
So it's gonna be books, not living it up. :sad:
[/quote]

moi aussi. But in God's good time.

faithcecelia

Bless you both, I really and truely do understand its hard, but I believe that so long as you are not saying no to God and refusing your calling, then wherever you are at this moment is where He wants you at this moment. Education, life experience, etc etc are all so valuable when it comes to being able to give yourself completely to God - no lesson (academic or otherwise) is ever a waste.

IamMyBeloveds

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314041880' post='2293319']
'May you live all the days of your life' is a Jewish (I believe) blessing that I first heard many years ago. Its a bit of a strange one, isn't it? But over the past few days, reading on here plus conversations I have had etc have brought it into my thoughts again, so I thought I would share a little here.

When we are discerning, and especially once we believe we know what our path is to be and are just waiting, it can be so easy to find ourselves just treading water, just going through the motions of our day to day lives, and wishing away the time we must spend 'in the world'. But is that really what we should be doing? I believe that the waiting time is valuable time and part of God's plans for our lives, and as such we owe it to Him to really [i]live[/i] while we wait.

For myself, and others I know, this time is time I never imagined I would have and never wanted to have - when I first entered, I entered for life and could not have considered leaving. Yet very quickly after I was sent away, when I was still quite fragile, I took the decision to really embrace the opportunities that this path has given me, while not losing sight of my goal of returning. I restarted old hobbies, trained as a fitness instructor, go out for meals and drinks with friends (old and new) etc. I honestly believe that it has been the right thing to do, and I am sure that, in some small way, God has used me to witness to Him and His love in these very normal, everyday situations. I believe that, however much I might have wished that my life would be different, God has used my situation for His glory.

So for all of you who are waiting, for whatever reason, to be able to enter communities, seminary, or even looking for a spouse, I leave you with this blessing

May you[i] live[/i] all the days of your life.

God bless
[/quote]

God bless you for writing this. You don't know how much I needed to hear this tonight. :)
Entering, leaving, and getting ready for re-entrance has been beautiful, but a road filled with struggles and suffering for His glory and for souls. I never thought my life would end up being like this either, but I totally see how God has been working it all together for good. There are times when I don't think I can wait another minute before I re-enter, let alone over nine and a a half months. I'm trying so very hard to be patient, remembering that God's plan is truly perfect. HIS will, not mine.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314052551' post='2293364']
Bless you both, I really and truely do understand its hard, but I believe that so long as you are not saying no to God and refusing your calling, then wherever you are at this moment is where He wants you at this moment. Education, life experience, etc etc are all so valuable when it comes to being able to give yourself completely to God - no lesson (academic or otherwise) is ever a waste.
[/quote]

This needs more props than I can give. So thumbs up to you!

faithcecelia

[quote name='IamMyBeloveds' timestamp='1314060601' post='2293503']

God bless you for writing this. You don't know how much I needed to hear this tonight. :)
Entering, leaving, and getting ready for re-entrance has been beautiful, but a road filled with struggles and suffering for His glory and for souls. I never thought my life would end up being like this either, but I totally see how God has been working it all together for good. There are times when I don't think I can wait another minute before I re-enter, let alone over nine and a a half months. I'm trying so very hard to be patient, remembering that God's plan is truly perfect. HIS will, not mine.
[/quote]

Its only when you look back you can see it, isn't it?

Strictlyinkblot

Waiting is hard, no doubt. I read a book called 'A Few Lines to Tell You'. It contains letters written by a girl who's just entered Carmel to her family. Reading about the life made me want to be in there now but I know I haven't found where God wants me to be yet. I believe I'm where I'm meant to be right now. When and if God wants me to enter he'll sweep aside all obstacles and I'll enter. Until then I just have to wait. That doesn't stop me storming heaven with my prayers and roping in the saints to help me.

An Irish Prayer

May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

And, as my mother would say 'May you be in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Thankyou :) I needed to hear this too. Its funny how the hardest path seems to be the one we happen to find ourselves on, but you're so right about living it everyday.

'I came so that you might have life, and have it to the full'

faithcecelia

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1314295775' post='2294804']
Is the school year over yet? I'm ready for this. I so am.
[/quote]

Where you are is where you are meant to be just now. Have faith, God will use this time for His glory :pray:

FutureSister2009

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314296008' post='2294807']

Where you are is where you are meant to be just now. Have faith, God will use this time for His glory :pray:
[/quote]

Yes I'm just waiting for God to show me the reasons why He wants me here.

faithcecelia

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1314296185' post='2294811']

Yes I'm just waiting for God to show me the reasons why He wants me here.
[/quote]

You may never know, but that doesn't matter. Faith is what matters, and obedience.

FutureSister2009

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314296291' post='2294812']

You may never know, but that doesn't matter. Faith is what matters, and obedience.
[/quote]

That's the only way I see it. I'm practicing the vow of Obedience

The mediative view is that it is only through the [b]acceptance of the actuality of the present[/b], no matter how painful or frightening or undesireable it may be, change, growth and healing can come about. These changes, growth and healing needs to be nurtured in order to unfold and be discovered." Jon Kabat-Zinn