An Old School Catholic Message Board

"the Mighty Macs" Movie - Out Oct 2011 - Good Or Bad?

Chiara Francesco

Sister Marie

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1314651695' post='2297037']

That's good, I was afraid it was another Hollywood movie bent on catholic bashing and/or making sisters look foolish, etc like those "Sister Act" movies and others. Also if they altered or exaggerated the story - but I suppose that is done no matter what!
[/quote]

Although they definitely don't bash or make sisters look foolish - I don't know how true to the reality of religious life the movie is... it is about basketball. :) None of the sisters I talked to thought the portrayal of the nuns was at all inappropriate or outright false. If there is anything different or untrue it's probably more artistic license than anything else.

Sister Andrew

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1314496279' post='2296100']
Sister Andrew, I know I've said this before but, we miss your sisters in Philadelphia so much! It has been so nice to have such a good relationship between our communities. It makes me happy to hear that your sister was able to go to the screening with some of my sisters! I hope our paths cross sometime, I love reading what you write! I'm glad your sister liked the movie too! God bless, know I'm remembering you in prayer!
[/quote]

Sr. Marie, you are so kind! :My Sister that saw the movie had IHM's as teachers when she was growing up! So she was VERY excited to have seen the movie (and I'm a bit jealous that she got to see it before its official release!)
I hope our paths cross sometime too!

Anyway, back on topic!
In regards to how the movie portrays the Sisters. I've heard that it is really well done. A lot of the Sisters and the original players on the basketball team were involved in the making of the movie so they would let them know if something was really off. I think I heard that some of the original basketball players actually got to act in the roles of the sisters for the movie(not 100 percent sure but that's what I heard!)

I can't wait for it to come out!

• 1 month later...

BUMP...

I finally got to see the movie today and I thought it was wonderful... but I guess I'm biased since they are my sisters. Anyway - it's out in theaters now and I definitely recommend seeing it.

LaPetiteSoeur

I so want to see this, so i think I'm going to go when I go home for Thanksgiving! My parents saw it yesterday, I think!

I seen it and I loved it....

i love good movies with nuns in it but that doesnt make me want to be one though :|

Besides Jesus likes to dance lol

she_who_is_not

Just saw it. Loved it. Thought that the overall portrayal of the sisters was o.k. Some stereotyping but the developed characters of the Superior and Sister Sunday showed some depth and dimension. I also felt that they did a good job of showing the both the positive and negative aspects of the impact of feminism/social change on the school, the sisters, and the students. It would have been very razzle dazzle if one of the basketball players had become a sister, but it's a true story so I guess we just have to take reality as it comes.

And yes, Jesus loves to dance.

• 4 weeks later...
SoonerCatholic

I want to see this movie if I can find someone to go with me and if it's still out in December.

When I first saw the ads for it I thought the sisters were actually the School Sisters of Christ the King (see picture below), whose habit looks almost exactly like the IHMs in the movie. I know that the CKs received formation from the IHM, but did they adopt their habit as well? Do the IHMs even wear that habit anymore?
[img]http://www.cksisters.org/siteart/sistershome.jpg[/img]

Yes, their habits are almost exactly like what ours were when they received their formation here. I think the main difference is that their veils are blue and ours were always black. I'm not an expert but that is the most noticeable difference I see... everything else *looks* the same. We do still wear habits but they have been further modified... still blue though!

[url="http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/sdg-reviews-the-mighty-macs/"]Here's a review of the film from The National Catholic Register. http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/sdg-reviews-the-mighty-macs/[/url]

AccountDeleted

I liked the ESPN program about the team as well.. it was a link at the end of the first video posted here. It had footage of the real team and nuns - very nice.