An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help Needed From Mantilla Wearers Please

faithcecelia

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

faithcecelia

Having looked around and struggled to find mantillas easily in the UK I have decided I will have a go at making some, which I will then try to sell at basically cost price - I want to make them available, not profit from them. It would be helpful if you could let me know your preferences so that I have a chance of making ones that people might like. It would also be helpful if you could add any other information that might help, such as if you find a certain size best, or don't like a certain fabric.

Many, many thanks

Faith

MargaretTeresa

I don't wear mine often, but I love it. It is white and a weird semi-circular/triangular shape. but it's wonderful

OnlySunshine

I, too, don't wear mine often since I am an EMHC at Sunday Mass VERY often, so I sometimes wear it at daily Mass, Adoration, or Confession. My first mantilla was one that I actually found, by accident, at an antique shop. I was looking at a booth that had some Catholic items and happened to spot something made out of lace. It was hanging up on the wall on a hook. I took it down to look at it and found out it was a white lace mantilla that was very old! It was in really good condition, but had a little bit of staining, so I bought it, took it home, and soaked it in a solution of Woolite and water. It came out very pretty. I like it the best because I never have to wear a bobby pin with it since the lace helps it stay on.

The second one I acquired was on eBay. I wear this one less often because I found that it falls off. It's made of very fine tulle with lace edges. It's very pretty and a little larger than the old one, but I always have to wear a bobby pin to secure it, otherwise, I'm constantly readjusting it during Mass.

Both veils are triangle shaped.

This one looks very similar to my antique veil:

[img]http://sites.google.com/site/thoseheadcoverings/modesty010001.jpg[/img]

My newer veil looks similar to this:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ALWN3DinL.jpg[/img]

Archaeology cat

I only have one, which is black and triangular. I'd like a brown one sometime, I think. My Pashmina is brown, and I often wear that.

dominicansoul

black and triangular. it doesn't show up as much against my black hair, but its there!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314496402' post='2296101']
My newer veil looks similar to this:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ALWN3DinL.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

that's very pretty!!!

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1314544536' post='2296296']
black and triangular. it doesn't show up as much against my black hair, but its there!

that's very pretty!!!
[/quote]

Oh I love it! LOVE IT! :D

MargaretTeresa

I want a brown smaller one to wear to mass regularly. Brown better blends... and the white just stands out almost too much.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1314544536' post='2296296']

that's very pretty!!!
[/quote]

Yes, it's very feminine. It turns out that someone makes them and sells them on eBay and it was only $8. I may eventually sew a comb to it so it stays on better. I wish I could wear them both more often. I've thought about wearing a snood from [url="http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html"]Headcoverings by Devorah[/url]. They have lovely ones, and it wouldn't stand out so much so I could wear it while serving as an EMHC if I wanted to. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

faithcecelia

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to start looking out for fabric, probably cream or black if can find it (can't get any locally, grr!) and go for triangluar for the first batch, and see if there is any call for them - when they aren't available locally, you just don't know really, do you?

Edited by faithcecelia

Guest MarionBanks-wilkinson

Hi, I am in UK and I wear a chiffon sarong as a veil its was the only thing available when i went shopping, its double fabric,plain black and long enough to drape nicely over my shoulders. I have also veiled with a silver grey chiffon scarf once or twice, but now wear the black chiffon held in place with two hairgrips at normal mass.( I'm the only one) and although a couple of people have done a double take, no one has said anything.

Mine is a light reddish-brown (officially called wine) and silver. I use a bobby pin to keep it in place, and just started wearing it a little over a week ago. This devotion is truly special and I hope more women try it!