An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help Needed From Mantilla Wearers Please

faithcecelia

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

faithcecelia

Well I bought some fabric today. As I want to gauge interest and also practise making them, I ended up getting white as it was on offer. Not my first choice of colour - they actually had a mushroomy beige which would have been lovely, but it means I will be able to offer them for £3 max including postage!

dominicansoul

when using bobby pins, how do you keep from ripping the delicate material? I've gone through too many mantillas because holes started to grow and grow and grow with each use....

faithcecelia

I had enough trouble pinning my veil and that was just to other fabric! I am considering getting some small hair combs and offer an option of stitching one in, but that doesn't answer your question Im afraid!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314799865' post='2298031']
Well I bought some fabric today. As I want to gauge interest and also practise making them, I ended up getting white as it was on offer. Not my first choice of colour - they actually had a mushroomy beige which would have been lovely, but it means I will be able to offer them for £3 max including postage!
[/quote]

Brief sidebar: I love your speak from across the pond :) "on offer": I might have to use that one!!!

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1314800280' post='2298034']
when using bobby pins, how do you keep from ripping the delicate material? I've gone through too many mantillas because holes started to grow and grow and grow with each use....
[/quote]

I make sure to use a new bobby pin (that still has it's slippery coating), and put it through one of the more solid sections. I leave the pin in there, and just slide it on to my hair, instead of the other way around. Hopefully this will prevent ripping, but like I said, I've only been wearing mine for about a week.

faithcecelia

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1314800630' post='2298040']

Brief sidebar: I love your speak from across the pond :) "on offer": I might have to use that one!!!

I make sure to use a new bobby pin (that still has it's slippery coating), and put it through one of the more solid sections. I leave the pin in there, and just slide it on to my hair, instead of the other way around. Hopefully this will prevent ripping, but like I said, I've only been wearing mine for about a week.
[/quote]

Ha ha Lisa! I too like the differences, and your reply to DS also tells me what a bobbypin is! (Id call that a hairgrip!)

• 2 months later...
FutureCarmeliteClaire

I just saw this, I love my copper colored one from Veils by Lily, she makes gorgeous veils... I also like my cream one from elsewhere. I don't know what brand it is but they sold them at my parish.

Back when I was holy and wore a mantilla (chuckle, I still respect it!), my favorite one was a light pink triangle with rounded edges and no "ruffles" on the ends. :)

The most beautiful veils I ever purchased I got in Spain. They were Spanish lace and beeeaaaaaaauuuuuuuutiful. But they were too froo froo for me to actually wear because they were very large and so soft that I would have to pin them into my hair to get them to stay. Too much fuss for me! I felt like it drew too much attention to my head which just made me feel uncomfortable, lol.

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1314800280' post='2298034']
[/quote]

I always left my bobby pin in the same spot so that I wasn't re-poking it every day. But I think maybe using fabric glue (you know, on the edges to stop the fraying) or maybe even clear nail polish or hair spray, may help.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314496402' post='2296101']

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ALWN3DinL.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I never really got this kind, because most people wear a veil to draw attention away from their hair, but this one doesn't help that endeavor...

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1321173598' post='2335653']
Oh...but is that ever gorgeous. :love:
[/quote]
I agree! I just don't get the use of it.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1321158541' post='2335625']

I always left my bobby pin in the same spot so that I wasn't re-poking it every day. But I think maybe using fabric glue (you know, on the edges to stop the fraying) or maybe even clear nail polish or hair spray, may help.
[/quote]
Have you guys thought of sewing hair combs into them? Almost all of mind have them sewn in, and it is pretty easy to do and you don't have to worry about having the veil fall out.