An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You're A 2Nd (Or More) Timer When...

faithcecelia

Okay, time for another fun thread!

I know there are a good number of us who are re-discerning after one or more tries at religious life, so what do you notice that shows this? I'll start....

When you see a community with a really long veil and your first thought isn't 'how beautiful' but rather 'how on earth do they keep that on??!!!'

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315256401' post='2300610']
When you see a community with a really long veil and your first thought isn't 'how beautiful' but rather 'how on earth do they keep that on??!!!'
[/quote]

I don't really belong in this thread since I've never had the privilege of entering a religious community (yet!), but I've often wondered the same thing, especially for the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, Nashville Dominicans, Sisters of Life, and SsEW.

I was actually thinking of having a thread about returning to religious life, asking "what would you do differently" or "how do you think things would be different this time" Shall I hijack this thread for that :hijack: or start a separate one?

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1315260818' post='2300645']
I was actually thinking of having a thread about returning to religious life, asking "what would you do differently" or "how do you think things would be different this time" Shall I hijack this thread for that :hijack: or start a separate one?
[/quote]

Hijack away!

IamMyBeloveds

[u]On the serious side:[/u] You know you're a second-timer when you still have that longing for religious life, but it is a deeper and mature understanding and desire for what you are about to undertake. You've been there. You know how hard it can be. Yet you also know how beautifully freeing it can be. He still beckons, with such Love.; And you cannot help but follow, willing to give Him that entire gift of yourself once again.

[u]On the lighter side:[/u] When you laugh hearing the scripture about Jesus telling the man who puts his hand to the plow and looks back not being fit for the kingdom of heaven. Upon hearing this you promise Him that you will wear "horse blinders" (metaphorical of course!) the next time you're in. "Jesus, I promise I won't look back the next time at all I left behind!"
When you return home you say to yourself, "Okay, I came back, I saw what I needed to see, did what I needed to do. And I realized that, for me, religious life is MUCH better than all of this!" For example, I really missed going to the grocery store when I was in the convent...(why?!?) and then when I returned home, I was so excited to go into a grocery store again. Two seconds after walking in, I said out loud to my family, "Okay, so WHY exactly did I miss this so much?" :ohno:
The grass is really greener on the other side! Religious life is worth every sacrifice. I cannot wait to re-enter next June! God is so good!!

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1315268063' post='2300711']
What is a tompom?
[/quote]

It looks like a broom but has a solid round tube at the bottom instead if brush. You then use pads made of rags putting the tompom on top and use it to sweep the floor. They are fantastic - we very rarely had to hoover!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315268581' post='2300716']

It looks like a broom but has a solid round tube at the bottom instead if brush. You then use pads made of rags putting the tompom on top and use it to sweep the floor. They are fantastic - we very rarely had to hoover!
[/quote]

I am guessing to hoover means to vacuum?

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1315269261' post='2300724']

[/quote]

Yep!

carmenchristi

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1315268063' post='2300711']
What is a tompom?
[/quote]
[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1315269261' post='2300724']

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly... Thanks for the explaination!

This is a cute thread ;)

Edited by carmenchristi