An Old School Catholic Message Board

You 2Nd (Or More) Timers - What Learnings Will You Take With You Back

Aya Sophia

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315428323' post='2301758']
MM - not sure if you can get it there, but I'd recommend Harveys Bristol Cream!
[/quote]

I believe I've seen that in my grocery store. I will stop there tomorrow after school or at Wal-Mart and see if I can find a very small bottle to taste. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

I use cooking sherry in french onion soup. It makes the soup taste good, but that might just be because French Onion soup is delicious!

I also have no idea who Enid Blyton is but her books sound fun. The closest that I got to an adventure was in Syracuse, NY when I stayed over night with the college students and we raided the sisters kitchen.

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1315432643' post='2301796']
I also have no idea who Enid Blyton is but her books sound fun. The closest that I got to an adventure was in Syracuse, NY when I stayed over night with the college students and we raided the sisters kitchen.
[/quote]

I can't believe no one seems to have heard of Enid Blyton - you all had deprived childhoods! :child: She wrote mainly in the 1950s, very 'English' books about very 'English' childhoods (plus a good number of short stories about fairies, gnomes, talking animals etc). There were The Famous Five, Secret Seven, a few series about boarding schools, all wirh lashings and lashings of ginger beer! Oh, she wrote Noddy too!

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=4][i]Revenons a nos moutons . . . . [/i]One general help in being a 2[sup]nd[/sup] timer (at least for a second timer in an austere Carmel – and perhaps these observations apply more to such Carmels that to religious life in general) is the fact that one doesn’t have to go again through the terrible [u]shock[/u] of first entering. [/size][/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=4]The Prioress in the Carmel where I was said that when she entered she felt as though she had been hit on the head with a brick! Indeed. And with the shock there is a great struggle to overcome one’s repugnance toward all the austerity, the physical discomfort, the deprivation (the sudden and radical "being without"). Although I don’t know if St. Teresa of the Andes is known to have said or expressed these things or whether they were words put into her mouth by an insightful director or script writer, the movie about her has her saying she is feeling great anguish as her entrance date approaches and that she has no natural attraction to Carmel. This lack of a natural attraction is very typical of a Carmelite vocation – the attraction is disproportionately supernatural and is acted upon in the darkness of faith. If a person enters an austere Carmel with natural attractions these won’t serve her long - if she is to persevere her attraction must be supernatural and she must have a strong will to act on or respond to this attraction, using her will to master her poor nature that resists, rebels and faints dead away in the face of suffering! Really, her attraction has to be to God Himself and Himself alone and not to His “things” (to the King Himself and not to the beautiful accoutrements that decorate his chambers). [/size][/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=4]In sum, thank God for having been lead through the great shock of first entering, thank God for never having to endure this shock again (!), and thank God for the eagerness and joy of His Spirit replacing the dread and anguish previously suffered by the poor nature.[/size][/font]

Constitutions of Discalced Carmelites (certainly 1990 Carmels but perhaps also 1991's - not sure), Poor Clare Colletines (ex. Poor Clares in Rockford, IL) and Carthusians don't allow live-ins and I'm not aware of any of these wishing to change this custom. A woman who believes she is called to such a community continues to have to take a huge leap of faith in order to enter. It really does take courage and God's grace to be able to respond to a call this way. From a natural perspective, I don't know anyone who would advise it! Still, it happens. Still, there are people who do it and have no regrets, whatever the outcome.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1315519373' post='2302308']
Constitutions of Discalced Carmelites (certainly 1990 Carmels but perhaps also 1991's - not sure), Poor Clare Colletines (ex. Poor Clares in Rockford, IL) and Carthusians don't allow live-ins and I'm not aware of any of these wishing to change this custom. A woman who believes she is called to such a community continues to have to take a huge leap of faith in order to enter. It really does take courage and God's grace to be able to respond to a call this way. From a natural perspective, I don't know anyone who would advise it! Still, it happens. Still, there are people who do it and have no regrets, whatever the outcome.
[/quote]

Actually, many 1991 Carmelite communities now require a live-in prior to becoming a postulant - and this is fast becoming the norm for them, a live-in of up to three months, then a period of time away from the convent to meditate and reflect before applying to enter as a postulant.

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1315519373' post='2302308']
[/quote]

There are some 1991 Carmels who allow live-ins. One that jumps to mind is the Carmel in Terre Haute, IN. Their situation is a little different in that they are cloistered, but they have no extern Sisters, so 2 Sisters take turns to run errands for the community. They also have monastic weekends now in the summer. They just had their second annual weekend this year. They had several young women take advantage. :)

When I was discerning with the Carmel in Savannah, GA in 2008, the Prioress told me I could visit and live with the nuns for a while, but she is no longer there as she transferred to Latrobe Carmel in PA.

These are the others I am aware of that allow live-ins:

Cristo Rey (where Brandee is right now)
Carmel, CA
Port Tobacco, MD
Valley Center, KS
Loretto, PA
Little Rock, AR
Clinton Township, MI
Covington, LA
Pewaukee, WI
Piedmont, OK
Sugarloaf, PA
Zephyr, ON, Canada

Actually the Carmel in Valley Center, KS does not allow live-ins, though it would seem so by the description in their formation program on their [url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/115"]IRL page[/url]. But I specifically asked them this. You just enter as a postulant. They are also under the 1990 Constitutions.

Something I definitely am going to look more into and try to get a clear answer on is this whole thing about how your Superior should not be your Spiritual Director. I experienced this (not in a Carmel) and it did create confusion, to say the least :unsure:

Edited by Chiquitunga

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1315544946' post='2302449']
Actually the Carmel in Valley Center, KS does not allow live-ins, though it would seem so by the description in their formation program on their [url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/115"]IRL page[/url]. But I specifically asked them this. You just enter as a postulant. They are also under the 1990 Constitutions.
[/quote]

Oops! Yeah, their IRL page was confusing. It really does appear that they allow live-ins. Thanks for clearing that up! :blush: