An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Superior As Your Sd - Or Not?

Aya Sophia

I would have to go with NO also. It was hard enough discussing my aspirancy with the Provincial Superior of my former order (which I didn't even enter). I don't think I could discuss the heavy duty spiritual stuff with a Superior, especially if it was concerning doubts that I had.

I hope that the Religious Sisters of Mercy allow the Sisters to find their own spiritual directors if I enter there (God-willing).

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1315574567' post='2302508']
[b]Those with no experience of religious life, those with experience, those currently in religious life - what do you think about having your Superior as your Spiritual Director? Or not?[/b]
[/quote]

This point is so very important that even the Second Vatican Council had a specific say about it, here is the quote:

[quote[color=#0000cd]][/color][color=#0000cd]Superiors, as those who are to give an account of the souls entrusted to them (Heb. 13:17), should fulfill their office in a way responsive to God's will. They should exercise their authority out of a spirit of service to the brethren, expressing in this way the love with which God loves their subjects. They should govern these as sons of God, respecting their human dignity. In this way they make it easier for them to subordinate their wills. [/color][color=#a52a2a]They should be particularly careful to respect their subjects' liberty in the matters of sacramental confession and the direction of conscience [/color][color=#0000cd] (P.C. 14)[/color][/quote]

There may easily exist a conflict between the roles of Superior and Spiritual Director and the religious/priest is in too vulnerable position if both roles are held by the same person. This is an avenue of potential abuse whether intentional or not. That's why there are religious institutions, including seminaries, that have in their Rules this coincidence of roles forbidden.

I would respond NO to the question.

Edited by Orans

I meant to post here earlier, but wow a thread got started on my post. Thanks, Aya! It's an important topic. I agree that having your Superior as your SD is NOT a good idea! Although I have heard it seems to be done this way in a number of communities .. at least at the start. I have heard this from a few Carmels .. One for instance has you under the Novice Mistress and/or Prioress for direction in the novitiate. And when you're in First Vows you will have your own priest of your choice for direction .. something like that - though I need to do a double check on that <-- also I'm super tired at the moment so I may be remembering things wrong :sleep2:

But anyway, yes, this is something I am looking into/asking questions about and want to get straight for next time. Thank you Orans for posting that quote from VII. :like:

I have a friend who is a ND. She tells me that they normally don't have external spiritual directors (although they can request it if they have a particular need). I don't know if they necessarily go to the superior for spiritual direction or to another sister of their choice. I never asked, but it struck me as interesting that they usually stay amongst themselves. She told me that it was to avoid the influence of many strange ideas that were circulating at the time of VII.

In some communities, a fully professed sister might be the spiritual director for someone in initial formation. But the one serving as spir dir should never be the one who is in authority to evaluate/make decisions about whether the postulant or novice stays or goes or advances to the next stage of formation. It is a major "conflict of interest" to use a worldly term. also, the sister in formation is very apt to feel that they can not freely share their spiritual journey in direction if the person listening is their evaluator in formation. That does not make for good spiritual direction anyways. Although God can make good things happen out of negative experiences, I think we also must use prudence and wisdom by not setting up systems that can harm.

• 2 months later...

Hey this is a somewhat old thread, and I wasn't sure where to share this, but I wanted to clarify in case anyone might have thought .. the non-Carmel community I was in was[i] [u]not[/u][/i] the Sisters of Bethlehem/Monastic Family of Bethlehem, who are super wonderful and who I've discerned with and shared a lot about here in the past. No one asked, but I just thought I'd clarify as I have mentioned on here briefly that I was in an overseas community (and one that's never been posted about here)
Not Bethlehem though. All experiences I've had with them were wonderful!!! :nun1: Just wanted to clarify :like: