An Old School Catholic Message Board

Statue That Is Glowing!

electricdisk

I love this quote from one of the teenagers who went to see it:

"I didn't see anything spectacular. I don't know why these people are standing around. I thought it was supposed to be glowing,'' Jeremy said. "It must be some good paint to get all of these people out here. It's probably going to end up being for some paint commercial.''

lol

Brother Adam

Is there a reason you're making slanderous comments like this today, Adam?  I saw another one over in the thread about Protestants attracting more people than Catholics, but I overlooked it.  I'm not overlooking this.  Our Lord glowed at the Transfiguration... did Satan play a part in that?

slanderous? Hardly. However, you're making the error of letting your emotions into it a little too much. Read Carsons post. Perhaps coming from a Catholic it will comfort you a little more.

Jake Huether

Just look at the holocaust that followed the condemned apparitions in Medjugorje.

I didn't think that Medjugorje was condemned yet. I thought it was undesided. What's the scoop?

electricdisk

One suggestion to the group... Don't beat up on Bro Adam too much... It is very natural to be skeptical - and probably very prudent. I think we (collective we) all know things like this are *normal* (in such that we know they can happen). Bro Adam can be a little freaked out when learning things like this exist.... Anyone seen a eucharist (after concecration) be engulfed with flames (without burning?)) I have. Zeitung is a perfect example of a miraculous apparition. Very dramatic.

Bro Adam, I will pray for God's will to be done. Then let the Holy Spirit do his thing... Hitting you on the head with a 2x4 probably isn't the right thing to do. All in God's good time. Hey, at least you are part of the discussion! I am glad to have you part of it.

Medjugorie has not been condemned. There has been no ruling on the legitimacy of the apparitions last time I heard.

I didn't think that Medjugorje was condemned yet. I thought it was undesided. What's the scoop?
Medjugorie has not been condemned. There has been no ruling on the legitimacy of the apparitions last time I heard.

Jake and Marielapin:

Sorry for the confusion. Actually, the word "condemned" is too strong a word. The author of the article is anti-Medjugorje, true, but the local bishops there have said they find no evidence of anything supernatural. The Church hierarchy, as far as I know, hasn't yet ruled one way or another. Maybe they're wrong; I don't know.

Edited by davejc29201

slanderous? Hardly. However, you're making the error of letting your emotions into it a little too much. Read Carsons post. Perhaps coming from a Catholic it will comfort you a little more.

I just don't think that it's appropriate, without knowing anything about this glowing statue, to question the role of Satan in it. Do you not also believe that God could make the statue glow? I'm not saying He did. I acknowledge the possibility that this is a false miracle, created by Satan or by foolish humans. But I just don't think we should jump to conclusions one way or another. I don't understand why you and Mulls are so quick to question whether or not Satan has a role in these things that have been happening for 2,000 years of Christianity -- the stigmata, apparitions, etc. -- but you almost refuse to question whether or not God had a role in them. Is it so repugnant to you that God might actually perform some drastic miracles in the world, and that He might use Mary for some of them?

I don't understand why the common perception is that a God who walked on water, glowed with a radiance as white as snow, and rose from the dead can't do these things.

Brother Adam

I never said it was Satan. I said the possibility was there. I never said that it could not be God either. You're twisting the facts.

Satan is far more powerful than most of us like to think, and yes, he will appear as an angel of light. It is not beneath Satan to make a statue glow in order to take Catholics (or others) focus off of Jesus Christ and argue about if it is real or not.

Could it be of God? Yes, but I doubt it. Scripture never lists glowing rock as one of the ways he works. And that is all this is. Statues have no special powers. The most common thing we saw of statues in the Bible is that they were torn down.

Edited by Brother Adam

I never said it was Satan. I said the possibility was there. I never said that it could not be God either. You're twisting the facts.

Satan is far more powerful than most of us like to think, and yes, he will appear as an angel of light. It is not beneath Satan to make a statue glow in order to take Catholics (or others) focus off of Jesus Christ and argue about if it is real or not.

Could it be of God? Yes, but I doubt it. Scripture never lists glowing rock as one of the ways he works. And that is all this is. Statues have no special powers. The most common thing we saw of statues in the Bible is that they were torn down.

To focus on Mary is to focus on Christ.

Mary is nothing without Christ.

Mary is our mother to bring us closer to Christ.

As for satan posing as an angel of light: look at mohammed - he thought it was the angel Gabrial in the desert... I think it was satan or a hallucination.

Also, if I remember correctly, satan would pose as Christ or Padre Pio's gaurdian angel at times... Read some of Padre Pio's writings... the man that became prayer

God Bless,

ironmonk