An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ask Lc About Her Time In England Thread

HopefulBride

No, I said, "Are you from Phatmass?" :P

Full story [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/114867-world-youth-day-madrid-2011/"]HERE[/url]

We did discuss Tolkien briefly, though :)

brandelynmarie

HI LC!!! So happy :buddies: you can pop back in on PM even for a week...I was :missing: for awhile, but I am back again . I would like to know what are some of the best/easiest things about living in community & what have been some of the hardest for you :saint2: (even if it's a little thing!) I think it's wonderful that you want to share your experiences with us!

(Oh & any fun differences you are noticing between living in the US vs England.)

Edited by brandelynmarie

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1316627372' post='2308141']

Thats a shame. I live on the island at present (not fully by choice, just where my work is) and the crossing from Lymington to Yarmouth is breathtakingly beautiful! I am hoping to have a little retreat with you there (specifically with an order I have never discerned with) so maybe I should make a specific donation for you to have a daytrip! :hehe2:
[/quote]

Oh! I love the Isle of Wight! I did my live in in St. Cecilia's Abbey there. It was amazing, I only wish I was called there

LCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you'd be around for a wee bit longer, but that's ok you're going back for a good reason!

Sending you a PM sometime tonight or tomorrow so that you know what's going on with me. I miss you, and you were such a blessing to talk to when I really needed to.

I'm really happy that things are working out well. You seem really, really happy. And that not only is a blessing and a grace, but happiness and inner peace are signs of God that you are where you should be right now. Avvesome :)

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1316633520' post='2308195']

Oh! I love the Isle of Wight! I did my live in in St. Cecilia's Abbey there. It was amazing, I only wish I was called there
[/quote]

I actually live in Ryde, and when I first moved here went to Mass and vespers at St Cecilia's pretty much every day. Life doesn't allow that now, but I get there most Tuesdays for Mass, and when I used to do an outdoor fitness class the park backed onto their grounds and we'd be doing our cooldown as they were saying the Angelus! We quite often see the sisters about as they are close enough to town to walk to doctors, dentist etc, and I once had a long chat with one in a charity shop! I too would love to be called there, but I feel no pull whatsoever, much as I love their singing.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1316635802' post='2308226']

I actually live in Ryde, and when I first moved here went to Mass and vespers at St Cecilia's pretty much every day. Life doesn't allow that now, but I get there most Tuesdays for Mass, and when I used to do an outdoor fitness class the park backed onto their grounds and we'd be doing our cooldown as they were saying the Angelus! We quite often see the sisters about as they are close enough to town to walk to doctors, dentist etc, and I once had a long chat with one in a charity shop! I too would love to be called there, but I feel no pull whatsoever, much as I love their singing.
[/quote]

Its wonderful there but I found having all the office in latin extremely hard going. Sorry for highjacking the thread, again

Hey LC, do you remember your old friend?
[spoiler]
[img]http://butidontlikebeer.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/saltcreature.jpg?w=400&h=300[/img]
[/spoiler]

I do! Im scarred for life!! <_<

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1316612158' post='2308061']
Hi LC:
I'm a relative PM newbie- I think I joined a couple of months after you left, so your posts would pop up here and there. So, thanks for all your inspiration from afar, even when you didn't know you were giving it.

Questions:
What didn't you expect? What's been amesome? What's been challenging?
Is singing the Salve every night as fantastic as it sounds?
[/quote]

Awww, thank you, Lisa! :banana: Nice to meet you!

- [b]What didn't you expect?[/b] -- Ooo.., good question! :think: Hmmm... I guess I didn't really [i]want [/i]to have too many expectations since I had previously been in a religious community. I had already been formed into the previous community's charism and spirituality, so I wanted to be as open as possible in letting things just... be... if that makes sense. Granted, that's not to say that I couldn't help but make comparisons since the former community was "all I had ever known", you know? The Sisters are remarkably understanding to this fact and are just... amazing, really amazing and understanding.

- [b]What's been amesome?[/b] -- Everything! I know that sounds so cliche, but wow... I'm still in awe about just how compassionate and [i]normal[/i] these Sisters are! It's truly a breath of fresh air -- and a huge sigh of relief! They [i]really do[/i] love each other unconditionally and want the very best for each other -- a beautiful and honest Christian charity. And yet, they're not walking around being overly-pious or with sparking white habits either :sweat: but living as real human beings striving for holiness in a very human way. The Dominican understanding of anthropology permeates their very way of life and interactions with one another... that is amesome.

- [b]What's been challenging?[/b] -- I think the most challenging thing for me has been... well, it might sound a bit odd, but it's been challenging for me to be [i]completely accepting[/i] of their unconditional love for me as a member of the community. Often I can't help but think, "Wow... they'd do that[i] for me[/i]?" or "They care that much [i]for me[/i]??" I still struggle with the fear of history repeating itself and being suddenly kicked out (like with my former community) without knowing exactly why and so, I am slowly learning to let go of this fear. It's basically the whole "This is too good to be true... how can I deserve something [i]this [/i]good? Surely, it's not going to last!" I think this issue is making these Sisters saints already... :paperbag: Hehehe.

- [b]Is singing the Salve every night as fantastic as it sounds?[/b] -- I gotta admit, it's my [i]favorite [/i]thing to sing during the entire day. :love: However, that's not to say that we sing it perfectly by any means! ;) :hehe2: Yet I know without a doubt that our Blessed Mother is honored by it and that's all that matters. :flowers: And well, who doesn't adore the Salve Procession?? :w00t: And the "[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDxnZBrItuI"]O Lumen[/url]"? :yahoo:

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1316616180' post='2308089']
[size=6]LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC[/size] hi! :wave:

questions huh? hmmmmm...

Are you tired of milk in glass bottles yet? Tired of cloud gazing and/or picture taking? Not that a postulant has time for either activity but I thought maybe they let you look up from scrubbing the floor once in a while. :P How are the oodles and oodles of bookseseses? What was your first beer back in the US? Sorry all I sent you was one letter in the past year. Maybe this year I'll send two!! :smile2:

I love you! Bleck mushy yeah I know lol!
[/quote]

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :yahoo:

I'm totally [i]not[/i] tired milk in glass bottles yet! Haaahahahaha! Every time we get them donated (which is usually once a month or something) I still get all "Ooooooo! These are sooooo kewl!!!" :paperbag: No joke. HAHAHA!!!

Whilst walking out the chapel for various times of prayer during the day I still love to cloud gaze. Haha! Aaaand well, I'm still taking pictures... this is why there's an almost embarrassingly obscene number of photos uploaded to our website this past year. :whistle:

The booksesesessss are most preciousssssss. Love. They seem to be multiplying on my desk, especially as of this past week... I'm starting a [url="http://www.maryvale.ac.uk/index.php?id=151"]Bachelor of Divinity[/url] (Applied Theology) this year from the [url="http://www.maryvale.ac.uk/index.php"]Maryvale Institute[/url]. :shock: Pray for me!!!

My first beer... well, be shocked for this one: I had vodka instead! My mom had the cutest little bottle of Belvedere vodka hanging out in her china cabinet... I've never had it before. It was naaaahce. :winner:

Oh! And no worries about the lack of writing -- I was SO thrilled when I got your letter (especially with all those emotes!!!! Two words: epic win.) but I know things get busy and well, who are we kidding? It's the 21st century, letter writing is somewhat tough times, yo. Haha! But I still keep you in my prayers!!

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1316622866' post='2308112']
Welcome back! Did you go to London? I'm going up to London in June. Very excited
[/quote]

I've gone to London a few times. :) I'm a phan all the way! Woohoo!

NovemberFourth

Hi LC

Good to see you back and sooo happy that you are soooo happy!!
I don't post here as often as I should but, if I recall correctly, you travelled a long way to follow your call.
I imagine that might have been a bit daunting, any advice for anyone else who feels called to a distant congregation?
Also, out of my own curiousity do the Sisters accept older vocations? I have found many of the UK congregations are open to late vocations.

N4

Archaeology cat

LC! I really, honestly meant to send more cookies, promise. We're having to move back to the US (I hope it's only temporary, please pray for us) in a couple of weeks. It's insane, and I don't want to leave England, but I know God has a plan. Just wish I knew what it was.

Anyway, I'm glad you're liking it there!

brandelynmarie

Hey LC, welcome back! Could you share about some of the differences you have found (religious life or otherwise!) between living in England vs the US? I am so very curious! Thank you, chica :blush: