An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question: What Makes You Lean Toward A Specific Religious Community?

Sr. M. Faustina

Sr. M. Faustina

I know what made me lean toward our Community ([url="http://www.sistersofcharity.com"]The Sisters of Charity Of Our Lady Mother of the Church[/url]), but through your discernment, what is it that you feel tugging at your heart?

Does it matter to you if the Community if affiliated with one of the better known communities (i.e. Franciscan, Dominican, etc...)?

I'm not really sure--I discovered the NDs completely by chance (and I first discovered them as a high school sophomore, and no matter how hard I try, I can't remember how I got to them!)

I loved the fact that they were a teaching order. I knew I always wanted to be a teacher. Then, they were the Dominican Sisters of [i]St. Cecilia[/i]. I am a musician, so that was kind of a hint of sorts. When I went to my campus minister (a Felici.an), she said "They're PERFECT for you, LPS!" She knew my love of education and music. When I think about other communities I've looked at, this is the order that makes me feel [i]at home[/i]. Such joy fills my soul when I talk to the sisters or see anything about them.

The emphasis put on adoration, community prayer, etc. was really important to me. The fact that they are more "traditional" and habited made my grandmother happy (she had always told me I had better enter a habited order. Even though I know perfectly good religious who aren't...but she's "old-school.") :)

For me, it didn't matter that the sisters were Dominicans, or Franciscans, or not part of a better known community. I was taught in elementary school by a not well known community and they were the ones who really formed me and my vocation. My high school was ministered to by the Felic.ians, and they are Franciscan, but not terribly well known (though they totally should be!) The NDs just clicked in a way no order had before.

And your post on the Sisters of Charity website was beautiful and inspiring!

Edited by LaPetiteSoeur

The thing that tugs most on my heartstrings with the community I am discerning with now is their works of mercy. Mercy seems to be a recurring theme in my discernment. When I reverted to the Church in December 2007, I started discerning and also learned about the Divine Mercy for the first time. It rapidly became my favorite devotion -- especially the Divine Mercy Chaplet and image that St. Faustina saw. One of my favorite titles for Our Lady is Mother of Mercy (my s/n in Latin). It was inspired by the Salve Regina. It happens to be the religious order's patron from what I learned on the website. It's definitely a God-wink because I had no idea until a little while ago and I've had this s/n since 2009.

I've known about this community since December 2008 but I did not contact them to seriously discern until this month. Since being on a CRHP retreat, so many graces have been poured out that included my friend assisting with my transportation costs and signing up for their November retreat. My friend, who just left for England tonight (to enter the Benedictine Sisters of Grace and Compassion), said that she looked at the website and could envision me there, which I am hoping for, though I am trying not to get ahead of myself.

The only thing that is important to me about the charism is that they have a strong Marian devotion, which the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI do. I used to think that the Carmelites were the only one for me, but I realized that I was putting God in a box so I opened it up and let Him out. I believe that if this is to be the greatest adventure ever, we have to write it together! As such, I am not drawn to one specific charism over another, but I do think that the Dominicans are incredible because of the fact that St. Dominic received the rosary from Our Lady of Pompeii. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

laetitia crucis

I would have to say for me, it's charism and the community itself.

As for charism I know I have a deep passion for understanding Truth and for passing this Truth on to others. The more I learn about our Catholic faith, and Christ (Truth Incarnate or as St. Catherine says, "Gentle First Truth"), the more in love I become... so much so that at times I almost feel as though I'd burst with the desire to share this love and knowledge with others. So... I yes.... the Dominican charism seems to hit the nail on the head for me. :smokey:

The community life itself, for me, is pretty much the very real and (very human) practical side of my discernment. It's [i]how [/i]the charism is lived out in every day life. "Grace builds upon nature" of course, but I've had to ask myself "How does my nature correspond and adapt to this way of life? Do I have the capacity for it? Can I realistically live with these women (Sisters) for the rest of my life? Am I being open and receptive to the grace God wishes to give me?" Grace builds upon nature and cooperates with our nature if we let it -- this is the key for me, letting the grace work without getting in the way. :paperbag: :saint2: I'm definitely [i]not[/i] an expert on that. Haha!

Also, even though Dominicans share the same general charism ("To contemplate [the Truth] and to pass on the fruits of contemplation") the main differences seem to arise from [i]how [/i]they lives this charism in their apostolate and community life. As for me, I know I could never really see myself as a Nashville, Ann Arbor, or Hawthorne Dominican no matter how amesome (<-- NICE ONE, The Archon!! :like3: ) they are... I suppose one could say similar things about major "families" of Orders (like Franciscans, Benedictines, Carmelites, etc.), right? :idontknow:

As for affiliation... :think: Hmmm ... I think I do prefer when there is some sort of affiliation, especially in regards to traditions and customs of the community. It seems to lend a deeper foundation in a sense to what has gone before and what is to come, although I don't think there's anything "wrong" or "missing" for newly founded communities that are just building their foundations by any means! -- that too is a very exciting time in their own histories as the Holy Spirit guides their founders to bring about His work. :nun:

i<3franciscans

The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal have so much joy and enthusiasm for Jesus! I love their work. I have always wanted to work with the poorest of the poor. Something about it had always attracted me even before I thought about religious life.
I love their devotion to their time spent in prayer and the fact that they have a daily holy hour. I have known other communities that do not have daily holy hours and it always felt like something was missing. I always felt like I was not spending enough time with Jesus. He is my love and source of energy, so a holy hour is very important.
And I always found the CFRs poverty truly amazing. They truly have nothing. I can not wait to have nothing but Jesus! They have no worldly distractions, no TVs, no computers, no cell phones, yet they live in our modern world. It is amazing.
The fact that they are well known (as far as I know most people have heard of them...) has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter to me. If no one had ever heard of them, I would love them just the same.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1316702789' post='2308512']
The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal have so much joy and enthusiasm for Jesus! I love their work. I have always wanted to work with the poorest of the poor. Something about it had always attracted me even before I thought about religious life.
I love their devotion to their time spent in prayer and the fact that they have a daily holy hour. I have known other communities that do not have daily holy hours and it always felt like something was missing. I always felt like I was not spending enough time with Jesus. He is my love and source of energy, so a holy hour is very important.
And I always found the CFRs poverty truly amazing. They truly have nothing. I can not wait to have nothing but Jesus! They have no worldly distractions, no TVs, no computers, no cell phones, yet they live in our modern world. It is amazing.
The fact that they are well known (as far as I know most people have heard of them...) has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter to me. If no one had ever heard of them, I would love them just the same.
[/quote]

Your reasons are the reasons for my love of the order. Too bad I'm not called there, but I hope to bump into them from time to time if I enter religious life (God-willing). :)

MargaretTeresa

Charism, community, and the feeling of utter joy when with "my" sisters. I am counting down the days until I graduate, can pay off my loans, and be on my way to postulancy. I would be so happy to just quit school. But some people (ahem [i]le old farte[/i]) keep this mantra alive and dancing on me brain:

:scholar: :nun:

<_<

I'm attracted to an Order where I feel comfortable with the Community. They would be joyful, loving, laughing, natural, comfortable, real, etc. Sisters in the 20's and 30's.

They would wear a habit; regular Mass and Adoration; pray as a Community; semi-contemplative; they get out and have interaction with people.

I [i]think [/i]I'm looking for an Order that involves retreat work or spiritual talks, etc. I don't feel drawn to college or a regular job apostolate; I don't think it works with my abilities or health.

That's why I was drawn to the Sister Servants in Alabama, but apparently God wasn't calling me there.

Edited by JoyfulLife

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1316712932' post='2308568']

Your reasons are the reasons for my love of the order. Too bad I'm not called there, but I hope to bump into them from time to time if I enter religious life (God-willing). :)
[/quote]
AW! MM! I swear you are a saint for being so obedient to God's Will for you! I hope we do bump into each other in the years to come. If not here then heaven. :pray:

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1316719507' post='2308606']
AW! MM! I swear you are a saint for being so obedient to God's Will for you! I hope we do bump into each other in the years to come. If not here then heaven. :pray:
[/quote]

You're sweet, but I'm far from being a saint. :blush:

It would be so razzle dazzle to see my favorite CFRs if I ever become habited (God-willing). Sr. Agnes, Sr. Maria Teresa, Sr. Mairead, Sr. Clare, and Sr. Faustina are my absolute favorite CFR Sisters. :)

I'm sure we will meet somewhere down the road. I've still got a long ways to go before heaven, I think. But, God's will be done.

FutureSister2009

I love the Aposolate ( have no idea how to spell that, forgive me) of teaching and working with youth especially. My Sisters are currently teaching Pre-K 3 which is a bit young for me to handle but they taught kindergarten last year.

The charism is even more essential for me. They do spend time in Adoration and praying the Divine Office and Community Rosary. I love that it's Community Rosary. I love everything.

And really any Marian Order grabs my attention, especially the 4th vow of Total Consecration to the Immaculate. I want to be totally consecrated to Our Lady forever

Edited by FutureSister2009

brandelynmarie

For a long time I was attracted to the Poor Clares (because of St. Clare, ok...& the bare feet,lol!) & to the Carmelites (because of all of the dear Teresas, especially St. Therese!) And then I called myself a Franciscan Carmelite Dominican because I didn't really know where I belonged :) . I slowly began to realize that I was seeing WHO I loved :love: ...seeing HIM in the lives of the saints. And then I began to relax & take notice that I seem to be a "natural" Dominican :nun: with my search of Veritas & love of study & contemplation. Also, I love that the community I hope to start discerning with again has Eucharistic Adoration with the Adoring rosary...so simple, so beautiful. Thank you for asking us to share & yes, your community has a such a beautiful website!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316731007' post='2308675']
For a long time I was attracted to the Poor Clares (because of St. Clare, ok...& the bare feet,lol!) & to the Carmelites (because of all of the dear Teresas, especially St. Therese!) And then I called myself a Franciscan Carmelite Dominican because I didn't really know where I belonged :) . I slowly began to realize that I was seeing WHO I loved :love: ...seeing HIM in the lives of the saints. And then I began to relax & take notice that I seem to be a "natural" Dominican :nun: with my search of Veritas & love of study & contemplation. Also, I love that the community I hope to start discerning with again has Eucharistic Adoration with the Adoring rosary...so simple, so beautiful. Thank you for asking us to share & yes, your community has a such a beautiful website!
[/quote]

I like the way you describe your attraction to the different spiritualities but then see that you are a 'natural' Dominican. Since I have been going through a 'changeover' in discernment, it has been difficult for me to explain my spirituality, and your answer sounds good to me.

I have always thought that I am a 'natural' Carmelite because I am basically a 'mystic' in prayer and love the contemplative life (as well as the saints). And as far as that goes, it is true. But there has also been a deeper love in me that I didn't know I had because I had never known it before. What I mean by that is the Divine Office. Before I entered Carmel, I bought the 3 volume set of the DO in Singapore where I was living (the UK version) but didn't know how to use it, even after trying very hard. So I put it aside and kept using the Shorter Christian Prayer book that I had already and knew how to use.

While living in Carmel later, I was taught how to recite the Office, and began to see how rich it was as a basis of prayer. I guess you could say that I 'fell in love with the Divine Office'. I have carried my 3 volume DO with me for the past four years everwhere I have gone and have consistently recited the whole Office every day, in or out of the convent.

I am now learning that the Benedictine way of life, with its focus on the Divine Office, is what is most 'natural' to me, with my private 'mystical' prayer life more the 'dessert' than the 'meal'. I don't know how to explain it. The Office has kept me sane through four years of struggle, pain and rejection, and I see it as the foundation of prayer for the Church. So even though I am very much a Carmelite still in my spirituality, I think that I am more of a 'natural' Benedictine. I just didn't know it until I fell in love with the Office - lol! I do love the intellectual attraction of the Dominicans and the simplicity of the Franciscans but haven't felt pulled towards either of these orders. And yes, I have been mainly attracted to major orders, especially since the smaller, newer ones that I have tried haven't felt right to me.

Thank you OP for the interesting questions and to you brandelynmarie for helping me to understand myself a little better!