An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1318023142' post='2317648']
One thing that Laetitia Crucis said to me when she was in town was that with her current Community (she had been in religious life before with a very different Order) she just "went with the flow" because she not only had differences in Community customs and spirituality, but also cultural differences. (Although both the U.S. and the UK speak English, they are VERY different cultures in many ways--people are often surprised to find this.)
[/quote]

:) I'm not surprised. But then again with the tons of spanish speaking countries, and the mismash of spanish speakers that I deal with at Mass I'm more used to it. Then again ... after Argentina I am *oh-so-attuned* to cultural differences.

No need for learning by having someone use a figurative 2x4 again.

Blessed&Grateful

Question I have always wondered; for night time Adoration, do most communities (cloistered) let the sisters go in their nightclothes or must they wear a habit?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Blessed&Grateful' timestamp='1318027815' post='2317696']
Question I have always wondered; for night time Adoration, do most communities (cloistered) let the sisters go in their nightclothes or must they wear a habit?
[/quote]

The Poor Clare Colettines wake up at midnight for Matins and they have a nighttime habit that they wear.

From [url="http://www.cloisteredlife.com/poor-clares/"]Cloistered Life:[/url]
[quote]

The nuns, clothed in the religious habit adapted for the night, rise in silence like the wise Virgins always ready and waiting for the call: “The Bridegroom is here, come out to meet Him!"[/quote]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Blessed&Grateful' timestamp='1318029427' post='2317703']
Thank you, FINALLY I know hehe.
[/quote]

You're welcome. It's nice to know that after years of researching communities (almost 4 years, to be exact), my knowledge is finally coming in handy. :hehe2:

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Blessed&Grateful' timestamp='1318027815' post='2317696']
[/quote]
Like Mater said, PCCs wear a night habit so they don't have to change (though postulants do). When I visit the Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration (active-contemplatives), I go to Adoration at midnight with a sister, Sr. Lois. They have robes they put on over their pjs, but not like bathrobes, more like a tunic similar to the tunic of their habit. And yes, I do get to wear one :nun: