An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1316971981' post='2309793']
:blink:

i'm thankful I am a Dominican!

shower everyday, except in the winter, you had the option of showering every other day; at one dominican convent, you had use of a bath tub once a week, but showered the rest of the week...

also, poverty means sharing soap bars and shampoo (but we each receive our own personal wash towel, thank goodness!)
[/quote]

Sounds good to me! :) Although, here's another question...do you towel dry your hair & on with the veil again? (I'm speaking of those whose hair would be cut short, not shaven...shaven would be a blessing in this case, wouldn't it?)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316977706' post='2309873']

Sounds good to me! :) Although, here's another question...do you towel dry your hair & on with the veil again? (I'm speaking of those whose hair would be cut short, not shaven...shaven would be a blessing in this case, wouldn't it?)
[/quote]

At the Carmels where I was, we used a hair dryer because the Prioresses didn't want us going to bed with wet hair (and we had our baths at night) but for the doms, they must have to use a hair dryer if they are doing this every day - right??

brandelynmarie

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1316971619' post='2309789']

I can understand that. A lot of people have sensitivities to perfumes and other fragrances, so being in tight quarters with other Sisters might pose a problem if you go around smelling like flowers. :hehe:
[/quote]

We have a few at work...I'll be walking down the hall & literally run into a "wall" of honeysuckle scent or maybe vanilla spice. :wall: And I always wonder why some folks must feel the need to marinate in their body sprays. :rolleyes:

brandelynmarie

Ah hairdryers! (I have one, but never use it, even in winter!) But for obedience's sake & for the love of God I will :proud: .

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316977938' post='2309878']

We have a few at work...I'll be walking down the hall & literally run into a "wall" of honeysuckle scent or maybe vanilla spice. :wall: And I always wonder why some folks must feel the need to marinate in their body sprays. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

This is a real problem in communities. The sister who sat in front of me in choir at one convent just reeked of something that almost made me gag, so one day I took her aside and was very careful in asking her about it - wondering if it was some special soap or perfume. She told me it was a 'natural' deodorant that she was using because someone sent it to her, and she was so good that she said she would change to another one right away and not use so much... and it made a big difference! It is hard to talk to someone about their 'smell' so most communities ask that their sisters don't use perfume or other strong smelling things.

We had hairdryers, but there was certainly no demand that we used it! I would often give mine a blast to get the worst off but rarely completely dried it as it would be too silky and my veil would slip! I only washed it about once a week though, still do now as its too long and thick to bother with too often, shorter than it was at the time tho as I kept my hair waistlength until after I left.

AccountDeleted

I cut my hair really short when I got clothed, but then later one of the sisters told me that she keeps hers longer in case she ends up in hospital or somewhere she can't wear her veil! I never thought of that! And I learned that my hair short doesn't stay under the veil as well as when it is longer, so at later convents I kept it longer to keep it under the postulant veil.

brandelynmarie

This is all really good to know about one's hair & the veil. Must take notes for future reference! And now...I'm off to Mass, the 5pm'er aka the "sinner's Mass". As in, what on God's green earth were you doing last night that you couldn't get up this morning to make the noon one?!?!? :cheers2: :coffee: :punk: :guitar: :drunks: :mobile: :paperbag: :viking: :stereo: :tv: . (Well, actually I was on :pm: :punchout: , lol.)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316979999' post='2309927']
This is all really good to know about one's hair & the veil. Must take notes for future reference! And now...I'm off to Mass, the 5pm'er aka the "sinner's Mass". As in, what on God's green earth were you doing last night that you couldn't get up this morning to make the noon one?!?!? :cheers2: :coffee: :punk: :guitar: :drunks: :mobile: :paperbag: :viking: :stereo: :tv: . (Well, actually I was on :pm: :punchout: , lol.)
[/quote]

:hijack: We 'sinner's here in this bush town don't get a choice of Masses. We either have one on Saturday night or on Sunday morning (8.30 or 10.30 depending on the week) - our priest has to go to other towns for their Masses, so we just take what we can get!

TeresaBenedicta

[/quote]

For us, hair gets cut completely off- to a buzz cut. Seems to help keep the veil on. But it's one of those veils that covers all of one's hair.

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1316977938' post='2309878']

[/quote]

Oh, gosh! I would NOT be able to tolerate those smells. It makes me nauseous and gives me a headache. :(

[/quote]

rotfl

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1316980363' post='2309943']
before as a postulant, we used hair dryers, after receiving the habit, i hafta say, we had no real use for them... :whistle:
[/quote]

It makes me wonder if I will be able to bring my flat iron with me if I enter the RSMs (God-willing). I don't really need a hair dryer because I let my hair air dry. I really need a flat iron, though, because my hair gets bushy and frizzy. It wouldn't be so bad if the postulants wore a veil at all times, but they only wear the black mantilla in Chapel.

Brébeuf and his fellow Jesuit [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Lallemant"]Gabriel Lallemant[/url] <snip> were fastened to stakes and tortured to death by [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalping"]scalping[/url], mock baptism using boiling water, fire, necklaces of red hot hatchets and mutilation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Br%C3%A9beuf

It is a good thing the missionaries cared more about the salvation of souls than bathing or there would be no converts. As St John of the Cross said "Beloved, [i]all that is harsh and difficult[/i] I want for myself, and [i]all[/i] that is [i]gentle[/i] and [i]sweet[/i] for thee"