An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

OnlySunshine

MM, as one who left the Church for quite some time after returning from Religious Life, my advice is just hold your sister in love and in your prayers, and hopefully she will, in her own time, return to Mother Church. I did.!

I had family, the Parish Priest, and some of my friends snapping at my heels, the Parish Priest threatened Divine Retribution, and all sorts of dire predictions, but I ignored them all. The more they pushed it, the more I rejected it. I even went so far as to be baptised into another faith, and for a few years I followed the 'chosen faith' and to all intents and purposes, on the outside appeared quite happy.

Somehow over the years I discovered that I was missing something. The feeling grew each time I went to Church, and slowly I began to realise just what it was I was missing. When I returned to being a practising Catholic the feeling of 'missing something' finally was laid to rest. and the rest, as they say, is History.

Just be patient, show your sister love and compassion, and above all keep praying for her. It works.

[quote name='MarieLynn' timestamp='1321899974' post='2339047']
MM, as one who left the Church for quite some time after returning from Religious Life, my advice is just hold your sister in love and in your prayers, and hopefully she will, in her own time, return to Mother Church. I did.!

I had family, the Parish Priest, and some of my friends snapping at my heels, the Parish Priest threatened Divine Retribution, and all sorts of dire predictions, but I ignored them all. The more they pushed it, the more I rejected it. I even went so far as to be baptised into another faith, and for a few years I followed the 'chosen faith' and to all intents and purposes, on the outside appeared quite happy.

Somehow over the years I discovered that I was missing something. The feeling grew each time I went to Church, and slowly I began to realise just what it was I was missing. When I returned to being a practising Catholic the feeling of 'missing something' finally was laid to rest. and the rest, as they say, is History.

Just be patient, show your sister love and compassion, and above all keep praying for her. It works.
[/quote]

I reverted to the Church myself in 2007, so I know what you mean. I hope that my mom's gift of a rosary doesn't push my sister even further away. I was thinking about giving her my old book, "Surprised by Truth," but I think I'll wait. I don't want to overwhelm her and cause her to be confused.

Also, she got "baptized" in her school's fountain by her Christian group. I put it like that because she had her only valid baptism as a baby in the Catholic Church. I was horrified when I found out that her group's lay minister initiated several baptisms which were either in a fountain or a kiddie pool. My sister has even assisted at some of them.

Anyway, I don't want to keep talking about her. I just would like prayers that she comes back. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Well, I laid it all out to the vd of RSM. I told her all my fears and concerns, all my thoughts, education, history, etc. I put it all out there to see what advice and guidance Sister can give. So, we'll see what she has to say about my health, and waiting on discerning, what's going on in my life, etc. etc.

Thank you. I just have been concerned about the college thing and wanted to get advice for this waiting before discerning period. It's been kind of weird being out of discernment, like I forget to think about Orders, and I'm just focused on living for God.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1322247458' post='2340403']
Well, I laid it all out to the vd of RSM. I told her all my fears and concerns, all my thoughts, education, history, etc. I put it all out there to see what advice and guidance Sister can give. So, we'll see what she has to say about my health, and waiting on discerning, what's going on in my life, etc. etc.
[/quote]

The Vocation Director is very understanding, so I pray that it goes well for you. I know how difficult it can be to make first contact, but, believe me, you will be relieved when it is over. :)

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1322350311' post='2340888']
Lotsa love & prayers for y'all. :pray: :amen:
[/quote]

Thank you. Still having to be patient. ;)

brandelynmarie

I am realizing that this is the same advice I need to give to another friend of mine who is actively trying to convert a friend of hers. Love people where they are at. Pray for them. Let them see how you live your life & let that be your "sermon". Answer questions gently & lovingly. :)

Edited by brandelynmarie

Well, it's official -- I am going to call Mother tomorrow (Monday). I received word that she has not replied to my friend's email either, so it must not be going through. We both sent ours 2 weeks ago, so I think that is ample time to wait. Please pray for me. Calling religious Superiors on the phone to talk about vocation matters is kind of nerve-wracking, but it needs to be done! :blush:

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1322454904' post='2341474']
Well, it's official -- I am going to call Mother tomorrow (Monday). I received word that she has not replied to my friend's email either, so it must not be going through. We both sent ours 2 weeks ago, so I think that is ample time to wait. Please pray for me. Calling religious Superiors on the phone to talk about vocation matters is kind of nerve-wracking, but it needs to be done! :blush:
[/quote]
I hate calling people about ANYTHING. I've been putting off calling the priest to set up baptism prep because I just hate using the phone, so you definitely have my sympathy, as I am sure it's MUCH more nerve wracking to call a religious Superior!

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1322455351' post='2341482']
I hate calling people about ANYTHING. I've been putting off calling the priest to set up baptism prep because I just hate using the phone, so you definitely have my sympathy, as I am sure it's MUCH more nerve wracking to call a religious Superior!
[/quote]

Yeah, the phone is not my friend. I don't even like picking it up when it rings at home. For some reason, I have never enjoyed talking on the phone. But, if I want to hear from Mother faster, it has to be done. Hopefully, I will be able to call without my voice cracking since I've already met her so I probably won't be AS nervous as if it was my first ever contact. ;)

Prayers, Mater..... maybe it will help if you offer making the call as a prayer for someone who needs to get the nudge to come back to Church during the Advent/Christmas season..... doing something like that always helps me when I am hesitating over something like this....

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1322467829' post='2341530']
Prayers, Mater..... maybe it will help if you offer making the call as a prayer for someone who needs to get the nudge to come back to Church during the Advent/Christmas season..... doing something like that always helps me when I am hesitating over something like this....
[/quote]

Thanks! razzle dazzle idea! I could offer it for the conversion of my sister. :)

I'm sure you'll do just fine on your phone call. In some ways it's easier as you don't have to look directly into someones eyes while your talking :)) And Mother won't be able to see your hands trembling and your knees knocking :rolleyes: Just kidding, of course.