Sign in to follow this  
OnlySunshine

Religious Sisters Of Mercy In Alma, Mi

Deus te Amat
[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1316971519' post='2309786']
Today's readings and Gospel were so poignant to me. I realize how many times I make promises to God, but don't follow through with them -- such as attending Adoration more often and reading the Bible. I've been pretty lazy. I really need to start working on that.
[/quote]

Don't "start" working on it. DO it.

A change in attitude makes a world of difference. ;)

JoyfulLife
It's hard for me, too. I've been pretty good at reading some of a spiritual book and the New Testament each night, but my chapel time has slid, as I'm usually busy with something. I know I need to MAKE time.

Francis Clare
If you know you need to make time, ask God.....He'll make the time. I've been so surprised at all the little "junky" things that take up part of my day. I carried around a little notebook around one day and just tried to jot down time I wasted by doing stupid stuff or simply procrastinating. It was amazing at how much time I could have for Scripture study, what have you, if I was really living in the present moment. Try practicing the presence of Jesus at all times and you'll be surprised how much extra time and energy you'll have.

sophia13
I'm so happy to hear that you'll be attending the November retreat with the RMS in Alma, MM! I'll be praying for you during that time. I probably won't be there, as I'm attending the October retreat, but maybe if it's in God's plan we'll run into each other in Alma someday...

Also, my relentless Googling of the RSMs has finally produced new fruit! A [url="http://frdangallaugher.wordpress.com/tag/religious-sisters-of-mercy-of-alma-michigan/"]homily[/url] prepared by Fr. Dan Gallaugher of the Archdiocese of Washington, DC for the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI on their Feast Day, Our Lady of Mercy, which was this past Saturday. Available in both blog format and audio file. Enjoy!

+Pax Christi,
Sophia

sophia13
Aaaand....here's another [url="http://dioknox.org/15631/etcnews/final-profession-%E2%80%98most-profound-day%E2%80%99-for-mercy-sister/"]vocation story[/url]! It's an interview by Sister Mary Gretchen, RSM about her profession of final vows. Sister graduated from the George Washington University School of Medicine this spring, and began her residency in internal medicine at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville shortly before making final vows. So so so so amesome. :nun3:

OnlySunshine
[quote name='sophia13' timestamp='1317250545' post='2311912']
I'm so happy to hear that you'll be attending the November retreat with the RMS in Alma, MM! I'll be praying for you during that time. I probably won't be there, as I'm attending the October retreat, but maybe if it's in God's plan we'll run into each other in Alma someday...

Also, my relentless Googling of the RSMs has finally produced new fruit! A [url="http://frdangallaugher.wordpress.com/tag/religious-sisters-of-mercy-of-alma-michigan/"]homily[/url] prepared by Fr. Dan Gallaugher of the Archdiocese of Washington, DC for the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI on their Feast Day, Our Lady of Mercy, which was this past Saturday. Available in both blog format and audio file. Enjoy!

+Pax Christi,
Sophia
[/quote]

I was so close to attending the October retreat (I wish I had registered for it now because my mom is already planning to go back to work tomorrow; I thought it would take longer for her recovery). :(

[quote name='sophia13' timestamp='1317251961' post='2311924']
Aaaand....here's another [url="http://dioknox.org/15631/etcnews/final-profession-%E2%80%98most-profound-day%E2%80%99-for-mercy-sister/"]vocation story[/url]! It's an interview by Sister Mary Gretchen, RSM about her profession of final vows. Sister graduated from the George Washington University School of Medicine this spring, and began her residency in internal medicine at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville shortly before making final vows. So so so so amesome. :nun3:
[/quote]

I love reading vocation stories, especially from the RSMs! :)

OnlySunshine
Well, my mission seems to be to find a nice, warm winter coat to wear when I go up to Michigan. I used to have a faux shearling coat but I seem to be unable to find it. I think I must have thrown it away when it got ruined from sitting in my car's trunk too long (it got stained). I went to Kohl's yesterday with my mom and didn't find anything there. I've looked on Land's End, L.L. Bean, Eddie Bauer (too expensive), sporting goods websites, etc. I did manage to find a few that I'm going to look into. One is by [url="http://store.delias.com/item.do?itemID=53915&categoryID=490&sizeFilter=2XL&colorFilter=&brandFilter="]dELiAs[/url] and we have a store in the mall here, so I am hoping to get over there today after Church with my mom to look at it and try it on. Old Navy has some good options, too, that I may look into. I'm hoping to find a wool-blend coat since my mom has lived in Michigan and says it's very necessary (she lived in Lansing, which is near to Alma). I'm going to go to Burlington Coat Factory, too, since I had good luck with jackets and coats there in the past.

I'm also looking into getting some boots. I wore the ones I had out, so they need to be replaced. They are so worn on the sole and bottom that they just aren't comfortable anymore. If it comes to not being able to afford them, I hope to at least get some wool socks to wear with my walking shoes.

A scarf, hat, and gloves are in the running, too. But those usually aren't that expensive. I found some good stuff by Carol Wright Gifts that is less than $10 and have all gotten good reviews.

Please say some prayers that I can at least find a warm coat before I leave in November. :) Edited by MaterMisericordiae

nunsense
Okay - so I was in Michigan in January and not November, but BOY was it COLD! Of course, there was snow on the ground at that time, but the wind - whew! I'm not sure if it was colder than Rochester NY or not, but it was cold enough! So get a good coat for sure!

vee
Im going to say you might not even need to buy a coat. How long will you be there for and how much time will you be outside? If you will be there for only a few days and just going from a car to a building you'll be fine with basically a windbreaker/ fall coat over a sweater.

OnlySunshine
[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1317559625' post='2313852']
Im going to say you might not even need to buy a coat. How long will you be there for and how much time will you be outside? If you will be there for only a few days and just going from a car to a building you'll be fine with basically a windbreaker/ fall coat over a sweater.
[/quote]

I actually am going to probably need it for more than my trip up north. I don't have a good coat other than the cordoroy one I bought last year and even that is more like a fall jacket since it's not very heavy. We are supposed to have a cold winter again this year, so I'm sure it won't go to waste. :)

Francis Clare
Do you have a Stein-Mart where you live? How about Marshall's or TJMaxx. Land's End Outlet, L.L. Bean outlet, any outlet malls within a decent driving distance? They're great place to get good stuff at really low prices :clap:

das8949
Also try Burlington Coat Factory.

Iam not sure when the RSM Oct Retreat is but I am sure yoou can call RSM and change your reservation if your travel plans allow for it. Isn't there someone else from the forum that is going this month?

OnlySunshine
[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1317568138' post='2313892']
Do you have a Stein-Mart where you live? How about Marshall's or TJMaxx. Land's End Outlet, L.L. Bean outlet, any outlet malls within a decent driving distance? They're great place to get good stuff at really low prices :clap:
[/quote]

I don't think there is a Stein Mart anymore because they all closed up. We have a Marshall's and TJ Maxx. We also have Ross and Beall's Outlet. I wonder if there are any outlet stores an hour from where I live? I'll have to look them up. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't recall seeing a Land's End or L.L. Bean outlet anywhere near here. Thanks for the tip, though. I check into it. :)

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1317573684' post='2313922']
Also try Burlington Coat Factory.

Iam not sure when the RSM Oct Retreat is but I am sure yoou can call RSM and change your reservation if your travel plans allow for it. Isn't there someone else from the forum that is going this month?
[/quote]

Yes, Burlington Coat Factory is on the top of my list since I had good luck there in the past when I needed a windbreaker for my stay in Chicago (the windy city ;) ).

As far as the reservations, I could change it, but it would cost $75 for the cancellation and then whatever the difference is in fares. I'd rather not spend that much. I need to learn to be patient anyway. :)

Oh, and another reason not to change is that I may need to watch the dog for my parents that weekend. I just looked at the dates again. Edited by MaterMisericordiae

JoyfulLife
Columbia makes great ski jackets that are super warm. Check online or sporting goods stores.

Check out thrift stores, too. I've seen many great coats at great prices.

How long are you visiting the RSM? Edited by JoyfulLife

OnlySunshine
[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1317597040' post='2314161']
Columbia makes great ski jackets that are super warm. Check online or sporting goods stores.

Check out thrift stores, too. I've seen many great coats at great prices.

How long are you visiting the RSM?
[/quote]

From November 11th to the 14th. I had thought about the thrift stores and I even thought about consignment stores. I might check into them this week. I didn't get a chance to do anything today after Church because I was very tired and my mom was feeling ill. If I cannot find a coat, I'll probably bring my corduroy one and buy a fleece jacket so I can layer. I already have some Cuddl Duds from my trip to New York in January 2010. I was so glad I bought them because we were outside quite a bit and the wind would blow straight through you. I had some with me when I went to visit the Carmelite Sisters DCJ in February 2009 in Wisconsin and later when I went to live with them in East Chicago in May 2009. :) Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Francis Clare
If you check on line you can find some of the outlet stores (LL Bean, etc.). Often if you go to their main websites, they have a link to their on-line outlet clothing. Did you check out EBay? Only trouble is, I really like to try something on before I buy.

Someone mentioned Colombia. I believe they make jackets that can be deconstructed in various layers. Also, don't forget to look at raincoats. Many of them have zip in/zip out liners that are pretty heavy, so the coat can do double duty for rain and/or cold.

she_who_is_not
I have a coat I bought for $10 from a thrift store run by Sisters. I was pressure sold into buying it Sr. Maria Goretti. It is a great coat. I've had it for about 6 years now and have only needed to have light repairs and yearly dry-cleaning. By contrast, my three year old J. Crew coat and a super-expensive cashmere coat from a fancy department store have both pilled, needed major repair to lining, had multiple buttons fall off etc. I don't live in a cold climate so they only get 3-4 months of daily use.

OnlySunshine
[quote name='Francis Clare' timestamp='1317651219' post='2314578']
If you check on line you can find some of the outlet stores (LL Bean, etc.). Often if you go to their main websites, they have a link to their on-line outlet clothing. Did you check out EBay? Only trouble is, I really like to try something on before I buy.

Someone mentioned Colombia. I believe they make jackets that can be deconstructed in various layers. Also, don't forget to look at raincoats. Many of them have zip in/zip out liners that are pretty heavy, so the coat can do double duty for rain and/or cold.
[/quote]

It's funny you should mention the online outlet stores because I checked them last night. Lands' End Outlet has some possibilities that I bookmarked. I have not checked eBay yet, but I don't think I will because I want the ability to return/exchange the item if it doesn't fit right. I am planning to check the thrift stores and consignment shops, though. In fact, I'm probably going to Goodwill in a bit because I have to return some items to my school's library and it's on the way home. :)

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1317656718' post='2314619']
I have a coat I bought for $10 from a thrift store run by Sisters. I was pressure sold into buying it Sr. Maria Goretti. It is a great coat. I've had it for about 6 years now and have only needed to have light repairs and yearly dry-cleaning. By contrast, my three year old J. Crew coat and a super-expensive cashmere coat from a fancy department store have both pilled, needed major repair to lining, had multiple buttons fall off etc. I don't live in a cold climate so they only get 3-4 months of daily use.
[/quote]

Good to know! Thanks! ;)

OnlySunshine
I was looking at some pictures of one of the 2010 postulants and her family and it had a few pictures of the Sisters in winter dress. My mom keeps telling me to get a wool blend coat, but all the Sisters were wearing parkas or puffer coats, which actually tend to be cheaper. So I'm going to look for those, too.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZfiiNxTfPic/TYEkU1DTKOI/AAAAAAAAB4U/QZ4c1g3PmE0/s640/midforest%2520snow%2520fun%2520017.jpg[/img]

Mary's Margaret
I live in Canada (long, cold winters) and "puffer coats" are definitely the way to go. Also, water-proof mitts, not gloves.