An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hair

Emma

I am a relatively new discerner and am interested in more traditional communities. All those that I am contemplating contacting are habited. I was just wondering if most commmunities require their sisters to cut their hair upon reception to the novitiate. Is this optional? Do most people do it because veils just fit better? I have had waist length hair my whole life. The prospect of cutting it does not upset me but I just wondered.

Emma

In my future community it is cut short and I believe with most communities it is cut at reception as a sign of you offering your Crown of Glory to Christ. The sisters in my community keep their hair short because the veil stays on better however, I know some sisters of life who don't necessarily have really short hair under their veils.

Emma,

I think today it is still most common to cut off the hair upon receiving the habit but there are probably communities in which it is no longer the custom or is optional.

In any case, perhaps for you to let go of the hair will be one of the renunciations you make in accepting the Lord's invitation. Worry not - "God who calls you to these renunciations will be your strength."

TeresaBenedicta

My sisters keep short (buzz cut) hair, but there is no 'ceremony' for cutting their hair. When they are invested, their hair is still long (and braided). Sometime within the next few days it gets cut privately, back at the convent. It's to help keep the veil on, and to keep the head razzle dazzle. And for quick showers!

In the first community that I was in, your hair would be cut at novitiate (not publically). However I chose to cut mine earlier in that community because with my long curly hair it was taking too long in the shower to deal with (the untangling can be a pain).

In the second community that I was in, your hair was cut in the convent the day before entering postulancy. To them the short hair was a sign of consecration.

Right now I have my hair at about 5 inches or so below shoulder length in layers. It has been about 3 years since I had it really short ... but realize that I get some sort of trim every 6 weeks or so. I remember when I first decided to grow it -- it was precisely so that when I entered the convent I could cut it for the Lord. But after I left the first time I chose not to let it grow, until I left the second time. I had already started growing it out so I decided to keep it long.

I kept my hair waistlength, plaited so it hung shorter and was out of the way! I actually cut it (myself) very soon after being sent away as I realised I was too precious about it, but its still, well again, halfway down my back. I admit, I will be sad when it is cut before my clothing (if all goes to plan) as I like long hair, but given I mostly wear it in a loose bun now and always under a scarf its not much loss! I think here in the UK most communities do not go for 'everything off' at least before vows - if they can still send you away at a moments notice, they tend to keep you looking presentable!

Actually, I read a book about pre-V2 religious life and every so often the community barber would knock on a sisters door for her haircut. The novices always worried if they got missed in case it was a sign they were going to be sent away!

Also, there have always been exceptions to every rule - Therese's hair was kept long.

AccountDeleted

Depends on the community. My hair wasn't cut at clothing in Carmel, but I cut it myself later to fit under the veil better. Why not ask the community itself??

brandelynmarie
:dance3: (Thanks for noticing :secret: )

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1317168959' post='2311249']
o my gosh brandelynmarie's [b]1,500th POST !!!! :bananarap: :bounce: :notworthy2: [/b]
[/quote]

My hair was not cut at the clothing. In fact, it wasn't cut by the NM, assistant or any nun thereafter. I cut mine myself so that it would dry quickly at night after a shower.

I didn't see much short hair in the novitiate.

Thought you all might enjoy this from [url="http://www.amazon.com/Therese-Lisieux-Helmuth-N-Loose/dp/0802838367"][i]Therese and Lisieux[/i][/url] <-- an incredibly beautiful book!!! :love: Sorry it's blurry on the one side, but hopefully it's readable. Actually I noticed on Amazon you can see a preview of that page (143) too, if you're signed in.

[img]http://i55.tinypic.com/2dhv503.jpg[/img]

As for me, I can't wait to have my hair super short again! In one community I was in I had a buzz cut, and it was great! So fast in the shower! When I came home, I actually had it cut like that one more time and wore a bandana. Now my hair is waist length. Hope to donate it before I go again.

From St. Teresa's Constitutions, "They should keep their hair cut in order not to lose time in combing it. They are not to use mirrors, nor any other curious thing, but they are to live in complete self-forgetfulness." (Chapter VIII, paragraph 55) :saint:

Has anyone found that wearing a headcovering -- toque, veil, etc.-- resulted in hair loss? Having the hair covered all the time is supposed to predispose to that.