An Old School Catholic Message Board

Colwich Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1318271441' post='2319175']
Wonderful news, Nunsense. My prayers are with you

and just to add to the confusion: in Canada, napkins and serviettes serve the same function, but napkins are linen and serviettes are paper.
[/quote]

How neat! I didn't know that and I spent time in Canada in a Carmel there.

AccountDeleted

Funny thing is that I never though I would get excited about discernment again... tired old cynic that I am. But I am really starting to feel positive about things again and (in my mind) actually thinking about things like being clothed, Profession etc. I think I love it that Benedictines get clothed after only six months, their black veil after only two years (their first Profession) and a wedding ring at their final Profession three years later. Carmel is so much longer just to get the black veil and they have no wedding ring. I mean, this was fine when I was in Carmel, but now I think about it, I just love the Benedictine traditions! Who'd a thunk it? Lol :lol:

Please pray that this time I don't do anything stupid and either get kicked out or leave... and pray for me because I am always in great need of prayers, being one of the really hopeless ones!

I am so grateful too, to have had phatmass all these years to help me with really kind people. thank you. :love:

The word napkin is beginning to take the place of serviette here, sadly, for the thing you use at mealtimes. Napkins, or more commonly nappy, is what you put on a baby's bottom, and less commonly now but certainly when my mother was young napkin was used for ladies sanitary wear.

I love the English language!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1318319912' post='2319538']
Funny thing is that I never though I would get excited about discernment again... tired old cynic that I am. But I am really starting to feel positive about things again and (in my mind) actually thinking about things like being clothed, Profession etc. I think I love it that Benedictines get clothed after only six months, their black veil after only two years (their first Profession) and a wedding ring at their final Profession three years later. Carmel is so much longer just to get the black veil and they have no wedding ring. I mean, this was fine when I was in Carmel, but now I think about it, I just love the Benedictine traditions! Who'd a thunk it? Lol :lol:

Please pray that this time I don't do anything stupid and either get kicked out or leave... and pray for me because I am always in great need of prayers, being one of the really hopeless ones!

I am so grateful too, to have had phatmass all these years to help me with really kind people. thank you. :love:
[/quote]

Its funny how we feel differently isn't it? I would have liked the ring, even though I haven't the least desire to wear a wedding dress (and Clothing feels the wrong place anyway, to me) and am so pleased that, as a Carmelite, I will not get my black veil until I truely and permanantly 'die to the world' at my Solemn profession. I am pleased, though, that professions are now public ceremonies and you don't have to wait the 10days or so for veiling!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1318319948' post='2319539']
The word napkin is beginning to take the place of serviette here, sadly, for the thing you use at mealtimes. Napkins, or more commonly nappy, is what you put on a baby's bottom, and less commonly now but certainly when my mother was young napkin was used for ladies sanitary wear.

[/quote]

Yeah, we shorten it to 'nappy' here too.

The English language is different in every English speaking country!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1318320127' post='2319540']

Its funny how we feel differently isn't it? I would have liked the ring, even though I haven't the least desire to wear a wedding dress (and Clothing feels the wrong place anyway, to me) and am so pleased that, as a Carmelite, I will not get my black veil until I truely and permanantly 'die to the world' at my Solemn profession. I am pleased, though, that professions are now public ceremonies and you don't have to wait the 10days or so for veiling!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not a big 'wedding dress' person either so i'm glad we don't do that. But I love the idea of the ring. The extern sister at WV really wanted a wedding ring and Carmel doesn't have them, but one day she was praying about it, and later in the day, she found a ring in the hand of one of the statues! Don't ask me - I don't know what happened either, but she has been wearing this ring ever since! It sounds so amazing.

I think the black veil in Carmel comes too late, but I understand their logic behind it, and I support that this is their tradition. Being an ;oldie' I just like the idea of being in the black veil, hopefully before I die! :lol4:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1318319912' post='2319538']

[/quote]

[color=#222222]
[/color]

You're not hopeless! What you're doing is to hear the voice of Him, in other words, you are discerning to hear the voice of Him better, the voice of your soul, His soul. You and Him being together. Sometimes you feel some feelings but feelings alone are not enough, an old benedictine sister told me and that's reason why I love the Benedictines! She put me feet on the ground.

Be not afraid for a change maybe He will let you first free but now is He sending you to the highroad for being His bride forever in the tradition of Benedictine. I don't know, I can't look in your heart but what I see, you are puzzle alot and in dutch we said always: on every pot fits a lid. You'll come, I'm sure. Don't lost your trust in Him.

In Christo,
+ Rocamadour

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1318319948' post='2319539']

[/quote]

Some people still call them "sanitary napkins" around here. It's a bit odd...but so is the English language!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1318349158' post='2319671']
I wish you well at Colwich, Nunsense :monk:
[/quote]

From one Benedictine to another?? :) Thank you Staretz!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1318378425' post='2319905']
I'm praying that all goes well :). God does work wonders, right?
[/quote]

Yeah, it's funny - a bit like winter followed by spring. It has been nearly a year since I left Carmel last time and it has been one of extreme hardship, but God has felt closer than ever before. Now, here in Australia, spring is coming with all the flowers blooming (climbing roses all over my carport) and I feel as if spring is coming into my life too. God's 'seasons' are beautiful.

brandelynmarie

"Nature itself is a holy icon. It is not unlike a stained glass window, through which sacred light shines and inspires."
[i]–Jay McDaniel [/i]

AccountDeleted

Today when I went to work, I asked my boss for time off next Jan-Feb to go to England and she said she didn't think there would be any problem, but the request has to be sent to head office for final approval. I filled out all the paperwork, and now just have to wait to hear back, but I'm pretty sure it will be okay. Prayers won't go astray though! :)