An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occupy Wall Street Baloney

Lil Red

[url="http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/10/05/336423/her-cain-jobless-blame-yourself/"]GOP Presidential Candidate Herman Cain speaks his mind on Occupy Wall Street: If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself.[/url]

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1317903690' post='2316040']
Oh the Tea Party...I saw some of their politicians on the news last night denouncing Occupy Wall Street and saying "They hate the free market and therefore they hate freedom". Ironic given the real Tea Party threw tea overboard that belonged to the mega-corp of the day...
[/quote]

Sometime we should watch the Daily Show together. :)

Eh, nothing wrong with a little class warfare. That's how we got the French Revolution, after all. :hehe2:

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1317907672' post='2316057']

Sometime we should watch the Daily Show together. :)

Eh, nothing wrong with a little class warfare. That's how we got the French Revolution, after all. :hehe2:
[/quote]

Holy moly, it's either a testament to me being tired last night or the state of news media in America that I called Jon Stewart "news" when even he admits he's just a comedian! But agreed, the Daily Show rocks! :)

...and did you just quote Ann Coulter from the other night? o.o

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1317908532' post='2316065']

Holy moly, it's either a testament to me being tired last night or the state of news media in America that I called Jon Stewart "news" when even he admits he's just a comedian! But agreed, the Daily Show rocks! :)

...and did you just quote Ann Coulter from the other night? o.o
[/quote]

Mayyybeeee. :)

Psh, Jon Stewart is news whether he likes it or not. He just throws in more language and slapstick stuffs and stops doing interviews with O'Reilly when people start taking him too seriously. It's quite noticeable, actually. :)

I just found out that they're hosting a satellite Occupy Wallstreet in my city this weekend. Alas, I'll be in Steubenville.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1317910280' post='2316081']

Mayyybeeee. :)

Psh, Jon Stewart is news whether he likes it or not. He just throws in more language and slapstick stuffs and stops doing interviews with O'Reilly when people start taking him too seriously. It's quite noticeable, actually. :)

I just found out that they're hosting a satellite Occupy Wallstreet in my city this weekend. Alas, I'll be in Steubenville.
[/quote]
Well good choice of quotes from her then, we'd not want to break Godwin's law the way she did. ;)

And I agree, he definitely throws in more slapstick, but at the same time I think that's why our age bracket mostly watches him as a source of info, even if it's comedic in nature. He has an agenda sure, but he admits he doesn't want held to the same standards as professional journos. Which, to me at least, is better than MSNBC and Fox News (and at times CNN). :)

Steubie!!! Also, Huffington Post had a picture of buildings for each university that did a walk out protest in support of Occupy Wall Street;[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/05/college-students-walk-out_n_996904.html#s390393&title=Indiana_University_of"] I work in the basement of the building they show five days a week as a grad assistant.[/url]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/JvuYP.jpg[/img]

This is kinda why I do watch Jon Stewart for stuff like this. Fox doesn't seem to get this isn't about political parties.

Personally, I like the looks of the protests there. That people were willing to stand up to the corporations that way is impressive. What ticks me off is that both the GOP and DFL don't seem to understand what's going on.

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1317924263' post='2316379']
Personally, I like the looks of the protests there. That people were willing to stand up to the corporations that way is impressive. What ticks me off is that both the GOP and DFL don't seem to understand what's going on.
[/quote]
Yes, stand up to the corporations in collusion with the State and demand more power be given to the state that used its power to empower the corporations.

Makes perfect sense.

Yes, government will try to help you.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/10/the-illegal-private-bus-system-that-works/246166/

IcePrincessKRS

I agree that it's silly. Honestly, I don't think a lot of people are there for the same reasons or agree on why they are even "occupying." Matt was watching a youtube video of this guy interviewing different people along the way, some were saying they couldn't wait to get Obama out of office, some wanted him in, some talked about the cost of education, but none of them could really offer a well thought, concise reason of WHY they were there. They all just blubbered through the "Uh, and well I think, the people need to uh, blah, bring it to the people and make education more affordable, and uh, I hope Obama works on this in his next term. We need less violence and the Republicans are too violent." and when the guy pointed out all the violent things Obama has done that particular girl stopped talking to him.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1317923804' post='2316321']This is kinda why I do watch Jon Stewart for stuff like this. Fox doesn't seem to get this isn't about political parties.[/quote]

but they are being backed by unions and Democrats (many of them are). :unsure: and now i can't find the link that talks about it. sorry!

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1317910280' post='2316081']Psh, Jon Stewart is news whether he likes it or not. He just throws in more language and slapstick stuffs and stops doing interviews with O'Reilly when people start taking him too seriously. It's quite noticeable, actually. :)

[/quote]I love the Daily Show! And I have to admit, Jon Stewart and his intrepid correspondents do more than any other "news team" to make me aware of the news. If it were on a 24 hr. news outlet, though, it would have to go in the "opinutainment" category rather than actual news.

Here's the thing, though, and I think Stew Beef is acutely aware of this at times- so much of what he does is predicated on effectively criticizing and undermining the work that's done by certain news outlets in both news and entertainment. There are times when some combination of his effectiveness and the things they're actually doing puts Stewart in a position where America sees his muses as wingnuts and him as the only sensible, moderate, Emmy-worthy broadcaster in the entire group. When it goes that far, he inevitably casts himself as a comedic monkey hurling feces from the sidelines while quietly appreciating the irony of his superior credibility. Then the newspersons back of the crazy a little bit while J Stew turns it up. It's a unique relationship that he has with them- most of the time, he works from the outside. But at the same time, he has the ability to exert significant influence on all major cable news networks simultaneously. No one else can do that. He's not anywhere, but then suddenly, he can be everywhere.

Edited by cooterhein