An Old School Catholic Message Board

Slaves Of The Immaculate Heart Of Mary

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1319214432' post='2324724']
Mater, the person who could really set you straight about this, is Sr Mary Catharine OP, who began the "Who's Who" thread. This is home territory for Sister. I am here only to paraphrase what she has privately PM'd to me, and what she has posted on other threads on this phorum.
Still River, which the USPS today considers a neighborhood within the town of Harvard in Worcester County, used to be a farm community, and years ago was distinct from the town of Harvard, as it was out in the country. The farms were these big places with lots of buildings. I can't tell you which farm the Catholics of St Benedict Center (originally on Bow and Arrow streets in Cambridge) purchased/acquired, somebody else could specify. Anyway this pre-existing group acquired this farm property. There were multiple buildings on the premises; I can guess that, this being a lot of acres held over decades of time, newer buildings may have been constructed where there were none. That is how you get all these street addresses being so close together. The old farm property was/is on Still River Road. The string of "Still River Road" addresses, with proximate but distinct street numbers, used to all be outbuildings or domiciles IN THE SAME FARM.
They became distinct addresses/residences as the different factions within St Benedict Center began to sort of stake out their territories within the farm acreage.
Thus, you have St Ann's House on Still River Road, with the contemplative Sisters whose first novitiate was conducted by the late Dame Gertrude Brown, OSB, on loan from England's Stanbrook Abbey.
Then you have St Elizabeth's convent/house on Still River Road, with the Sisters who are mostly younger and who have an active apostolate of teaching and schooling.
Then there is an abbey of Benedictine Monks; if I recall right, they are dependent upon the Swiss-American Congregation within the Order of St Benedict, which makes them truly distinct and separate from the Petersham community of monks, St Mary's Monastery, dependent upon the Subiaco Congregation within the Order of St Benedict. And St Benedict's Abbey is also on Still River Road.
[/quote]

Thank you, but I posted this before Sr. MC posted the MICM thread. :)