An Old School Catholic Message Board

'young Nuns' Tv Program

marigold

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319413802' post='2325893']
I wanted to discern with them 6yrs ago but was told it was not possible due to Rome prohibiting them accepting postulants. I was given far more information, but as they are obviously back on track there is no need to post it.
[/quote]

Well then, let me reassure anyone who wants to discern with them now that since at least December 2006 (when I contacted them), they have been open to receiving postulants and that they are in full communion with Rome. As far as I know, there are no obstacles to anyone who is interested in them. We also have a branch of their community here in Australia, which is doing quite well.

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319414570' post='2325902']

Well then, let me reassure anyone who wants to discern with them now that since at least December 2006 (when I contacted them), they have been open to receiving postulants and that they are in full communion with Rome. As far as I know, there are no obstacles to anyone who is interested in them. We also have a branch of their community here in Australia, which is doing quite well.
[/quote]

That date fits with mine then, as I was before that. There was never, as far as I am aware, any question of there being issues with communion with Rome.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319414663' post='2325903']

That date fits with mine then, as I was before that. There was never, as far as I am aware, any question of there being issues with communion with Rome.
[/quote]

That's why your post concerned me I think. It sounded a little like there might be problems with Rome..
[quote] they had some major problems some years ago and Rome forbade them from accepting postulants [/quote]

So it's good we got this cleared up. I might not have been the only one who read it this way. That's why we have to be so careful in what we say about each other and that includes communities. Even the Bible tells us that our tongue might cause us to fall and we have to be careful in what we say. I know you didn't mean to say anything offensive, but it did concern me, and perhaps it might have concerned others as well because it sounded as if there was something wrong with Tyburn. Thank you for clearing that up. I am relieved now.

Short video clip in this article: [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15385144"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15385144[/url]

somethingfishy

The Guardian again continues to be kind about the programme, in their TV Highlights section: "Two women in their early 20s, Clara and Catherine, prepare to devote their lives to the Lord. Clara has just graduated and Catherine used to model, but both believe they'd be happier taking vows of austerity, chastity and obedience. A glance round at the modern world and you can hardly blame them. This year's X Factor alone is enough to send youngsters fleeing to a life away from wider society. This is a fascinating tale of two women taking their own courses in life."

I'm quite impressed with the documentary actually. Not quite sure where the Tyburn links had come in because it was St C's (my local Bene's!) and I would have imagined she would fit well, from the little I know, so I felt quite disappointed to see her leave again, but glad the door is open should she wish to discern again.

I think it was also good to show how community discernment also plays a part and the aspirant to the Dominicans was asked to wait a year even though she wanted to enter.

The Franciscans of the Renewal are just super-razzle dazzle and amazing, as ever!

Edited by faithcecelia

somethingfishy

I can really understand why she did leave, though... her family seems very close-knit and it sounds like she had a rough time dealing with that separation.

With the Dominican aspirant being asked to wait... it seems like a sign of a solid community, that they're concerned/conscious about that "are you sure you're sure" aspect. If you're still partying all the time and telling people "oh, well if the right man comes along that's good enough for me," maybe you aren't ready to enter religious life.

And CFRs rock :)

[quote name='somethingfishy' timestamp='1319581716' post='2327017']
I can really understand why she did leave, though... her family seems very close-knit and it sounds like she had a rough time dealing with that separation.

With the Dominican aspirant being asked to wait... it seems like a sign of a solid community, that they're concerned/conscious about that "are you sure you're sure" aspect. If you're still partying all the time and telling people "oh, well if the right man comes along that's good enough for me," maybe you aren't ready to enter religious life.

[/quote]

I'd also say that the convents location makes a difference. Living on the Isle of Wight myself, there really is a feeling of being a bit cut off and a long way away from 'everywhere'. I have felt far more isolated and apart from my friends and family whilst living here 'in the world' than I ever did in the monastery, and I can well imagine that the 2 together, plus the family situation, was very hard for her.

NovemberFourth

[quote name='somethingfishy' timestamp='1319581716' post='2327017']

[/quote]

Agreed. I did enjoy the programme too, but I would have liked to have seen more on the convents. Even though I know the focus was on the aspirants! :) Mind you it is a very good sign if a programme leaves me wanting more.

It was lovely to catch a couple of glimpses of LC too, she looked very well and happy.
I was very impressed by the Dominicans - they are wonderful. I'd like to go on retreat there - if I can.

N4

Strictlyinkblot

I loved seeing the glimpses of St. Cecilia's. I've been thinking more and more about my live in the past few weeks. One thing though, the NM told me that when family visit the grille is opened so they don't have to talk through the grille. Now, that was 5 years ago so maybe they've gotten stricter since but I was surprised when the documentary said that family have to talk through the grille.

I thought it was very very well done. While I agree it would've been nice to see a bit more of the convents I guess they wanted to keep their privacy.

If anyone else in the UK missed it (I completely forgot and had an early night) it's on iPlayer for a limited time: [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016lts7/Young_Nuns/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016lts7/Young_Nuns/[/url]

Having watched it now I think it was very sensitively done. Without being at all explicitly religious it took the women's claims at face value; none of the smirky 'what they believe is God's call' tone you often get when secular media cover these things. Like others have said, I would have liked to see more of the life of the convents, though it's understandable that the nuns would want to guard their privacy, and of course both women were only at the beginning stages. There was a lot of focus on the difficulties of leaving and giving up various things for the same reason.

I don't know. On reflection maybe it's good that they didn't try to explain what was so great about being a nun - they just let the cameras roll and the joy speak for itself. I liked the little girls in the school who were horrified at the thought of not wearing makeup or jeans but admitted that 'they're always cheerful'... :)

Great post on the program from Seraphic: [url="http://seraphicgoestoscotland.blogspot.com/2011/10/knowing-young-nuns.html"]http://seraphicgoestoscotland.blogspot.com/2011/10/knowing-young-nuns.html[/url]

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319628942' post='2327208']
Great post on the program from Seraphic: [url="http://seraphicgoestoscotland.blogspot.com/2011/10/knowing-young-nuns.html"]http://seraphicgoest...young-nuns.html[/url]
[/quote]

Erhmmm, not sure about some of what she says, seemed to start well and go downhill to my mind. Maybe thats because I know that nuns cry - I cried a year almost before I entered and the 2 since I left, the postulant after me cried for the whole of her postulancy almost non stop, and a former prioress apparently cried for a year! Nuns also lived social lives before entering - I know a prioress who spent the '70s getting arrested and who proudly introduced me to people who got arrested with her! I know nuns who have co-habited, who have been married. Nuns who have been top lawyers and nuns who have been hippies!!! Nuns also have very varied family backgrounds, and from experience that actually makes little difference to who makes it to final vows. I know of atheist families who support their nun relative and 'good Catholics' who refuse to accept at all. There is no stereotype at all.

Thankfully, the documentary was far less judgemental!