An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Wedding Dress Orders (For Us Romantics)

InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

[url="http://www.poorclaressantabarbara.org/who.html"]Poor Clares of Santa Barbara[/url]

[img]http://www.poorclaressantabarbara.org/images/M1-4.jpg[/img][img]http://www.poorclaressantabarbara.org/images/M1-1.jpg[/img]

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate:

[img]http://marymediatrix.com/images/stories/rel_life/sisters/fsi_novice2.jpg[/img]

Not exactly a wedding gown, per se, but the Sisters of Reparation have the novice-to-be process in with a long lace veil, instead of the black postulant veil, and a candle:

[img]http://www.sistersofreparation.org/Vocations/Novice1.jpg[/img]

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1318962213' post='2323267']

It's been a long time since I saw the video, so I don't remember. But, the video should still be on YouTube.

I (think) I've seen some Dominican communities that do not wear rings. Am I imagining this?
[/quote]

It's been a off and on thing. The moniales didn't wear a ring until after Vat II although it's in the old 1932 Ceremonial. I heard that it was because we weren't making solemn vows after the French revolution. The nuns (all cloistered nuns) began making solemn vows again after about 1945-1950.

We wear wedding rings but no wedding dress. A few wore them way back around 1920 but it stopped. It was a Dominican tradition. We are more in the Cistercian tradition of a certain stark beauty and simplicity.

But oh, how I missed not having a crown of flowers at profession! :-(

FutureSister2009

A lot of Orders that I know of receive rings. It would be nice to know I will get a crown of flowers too!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1318966402' post='2323299']

It's been a off and on thing. The moniales didn't wear a ring until after Vat II although it's in the old 1932 Ceremonial. I heard that it was because we weren't making solemn vows after the French revolution. The nuns (all cloistered nuns) began making solemn vows again after about 1945-1950.

We wear wedding rings but no wedding dress. A few wore them way back around 1920 but it stopped. It was a Dominican tradition. We are more in the Cistercian tradition of a certain stark beauty and simplicity.

[/quote]

I was hoping you would log in and give us your "expert" information on this. (So much better than a bunch of us sitting around guessing!)

And, if you ever hear anything about the Lockport Community that you feel comfortable sharing on the Internet, I think that at least those of us who knew "Saint Therese" would appreciate anything you could share.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1318966402' post='2323299']

[/quote]

Sometimes someone will post on Phatmass that the posters are being very superficial and worldly to be thinking about things like wedding dresses, crowns of flowers, and wedding rings. Personally, since so many of us started thinking about (or even planning!) our weddings at a young age, (I don't know what it's like for little girls now) it seems natural to me to talk about it now. (Funny, even though I'd never met a nun or religious Sister in my life, I wore my petticoat (now THAT dates me!) or a towel on my head alternatively as a nun or a bride, depending on my mood.)

What happened? As I grew out of the stage of wearing petticoats on my head, my parents were in the process of changing from being very religious to agnositics to (in my father's case) atheists. Also, I had no Catholic friends until college, and I liked boys too much to imagine living without one. As I got a little older (and actually married a Catholic guy who had been in minor seminary), I realized that, realistically, the vow of obedience was a "mountain" in the way--I had no desire to be obedient, and it's not really different now. (There were far more very religious people at Berkeley than most people expect--but there were very few people, even among the religious ones--who could even imagine obedience. LOL)

The answer I give to people who think that discerners/aspirants should not be even thinking about such things, is that, as far as I know, NO discerner/aspirant who has posted on Phatmass has chosen an Order solely because it has things like wedding dresses and crowns of flowers. Also, I know of LOTS of posters who have admitted that they would love to wear a wedding dress or a crown of flowers, but joined an Order/Community even knowing they would not have those things. God's calling to a particular Order/Community was FAR more important than a wedding dress. These are fun threads, and interesting subjects to talk about--many of us enjoy them. However, I feel very comfortrable that the vast majority of Phatmass women in discernment/aspirancy have their values in order and I see no harm in these conversations.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

MissScripture

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1318963084' post='2323279']

You're correct- I know the NDs/DSMME don't wear wedding rings. The story I heard was that in some war time (possibly the Civil War), the Sisters melted down their wedding rings to sell the gold and help the poor. They continued this tradition, and the DSMME carried on this tradition when they started their new community from the NDs.
[/quote]
My sister just said that historically they didn't have the money for the rings, so they just never used them. I like your story better. :hehe2:

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1318978182' post='2323390']
My sister just said that historically they didn't have the money for the rings, so they just never used them. I like your story better. :hehe2:
[/quote]

Fail. Wow. Now I feel bad for sharing inaccuracies, please forgive me.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1318979206' post='2323396']

[/quote]

It's razzle dazzle. After all you didn't claim to be grand poobah of info on the NDs. All you said was, "The story I heard......." i.e., you put a caveat on your information. Now, if you were one of my "helpers" (or whatever they were called) on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" then I might be upset.

MissScripture

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1318979206' post='2323396']

[/quote]
Well, I don't know for sure if that's completely inaccurate or if my sister was just giving an abbreviated version or something. :idontknow: But like I said, I like you're story better. ;)

Well, the Lafayette Carms do. :) Love these gals. Brittlyn, now Sr.Teresa of Jesus, was JUST clothed on the 15. This is Sr.Maria Faustina of Merciful Love's clothing. I'll post Sr.Teresa in a minute.

[img]http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305097_159273434163777_100002433656326_296995_1248402341_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/321501_159274377497016_100002433656326_296998_380112936_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/291946_159274850830302_100002433656326_297001_752743529_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298622_159273997497054_100002433656326_296996_1994987620_n.jpg[/img]

Queen'sDaughter

The pics are lovely. It seems to me that the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary wear the gowns too, but I am not sure. Does anyone know?

Ignatius, of course you are right in what you said about discerners and gowns. Personally I would go to whatever order God wants regardless of such things, but at the same time I am very glad that they do use the symbolism of the dress, and later, the profession ring. I think that all women have a desire to make themselves beautiful for their beloved, and the wearing of the gown is a way to express the desire for internal beauty to please the Beloved.

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1318991634' post='2323468']
The pics are lovely. It seems to me that the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary wear the gowns too, but I am not sure. Does anyone know?

Ignatius, of course you are right in what you said about discerners and gowns. Personally I would go to whatever order God wants regardless of such things, but at the same time I am very glad that they do use the symbolism of the dress, and later, the profession ring. I think that all women have a desire to make themselves beautiful for their beloved, and the wearing of the gown is a way to express the desire for internal beauty to please the Beloved.
[/quote]

I have heard that they do, too, but I couldn't find any pictures of the investiture ceremony. :(

Ages and ages ago somebody posted a video of three postulants beng clothed in lovely wedding dresses. It was an order in France or Belgium I think. Anybody still got the link. I seem to have lost it.

brandelynmarie

Hope y'all don't mind me posted these other pictures, but they are beautiful. :love:

[img]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/barbiepreece/BrideOfChrist.jpg[/img]