An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Wedding Dress Orders (For Us Romantics)

InPersonaChriste

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, the MICM wear a wedding dress at PROFESSION! So you have to keep your hair looking somewhat normal through novitiate.
When I came to the monastery I had to let go of the wedding dress, candle, and crown of flowers! :-) But you know what? My profession ceremonies were SO BEAUTIFUL! It was about the inner reality that was important on that day!

I certainly understand everyone's feelings about all this. It's something very feminine!

We Dominicans wear our baptismal gown everyday! :-)

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1319028711' post='2323621']
Yes, the MICM wear a wedding dress at PROFESSION! So you have to keep your hair looking somewhat normal through novitiate.
When I came to the monastery I had to let go of the wedding dress, candle, and crown of flowers! :-) But you know what? My profession ceremonies were SO BEAUTIFUL! It was about the inner reality that was important on that day!

I certainly understand everyone's feelings about all this. It's something very feminine!

We Dominicans wear our baptismal gown everyday! :-)
[/quote]

I can't help but think that the bridal gown for final vows makes more sense, but then I also think there is something beautiful about pinning the black veil over the white for the day..... I was never bothered by a gown for Clothing or not, but having had it go wrong once, I am definately glad I didn't have it. I mean, I have certainly not divorced God! But neither am I fully and formally consecrated to Him in Church law.

Anyway, some of these photos are absolutely beautiful, and if thats the way a community does it then its perfectly right that the women enjoy their day.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1318972694' post='2323341']

Sometimes someone will post on Phatmass that the posters are being very superficial and worldly to be thinking about things like wedding dresses, crowns of flowers, and wedding rings.
[/quote]

Yeah, that'd be me :wave:

I like to interrupt the fun by posting stuff like this and saying "no servant is greater than his master" and where He goes, we too are also to go

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_izzD5qnVyWo/S7ZUO_fqNnI/AAAAAAAADhI/LAwy_qFWaVw/s1600/behold+the+man.jpg[/img]

Re the above.
Oh those beautiful veils - that pull on your neck, rub on your head and are often too tight and hurt or too lose and fall off.
Bare feet. Lovely in summer. A penance in winter.
Darning, and darning, and darning for My Lady Poverty. Darned sheets that scratch. Darned underwear that rubs, Holes on holes that WILL not mend! Clothing that is too hot in summer, not warm enough in the Monastery in winter. Worn bits on the knees of EVERYTHING. Sr Seamstress who regards you with a jaundiced eye when the tunic needs taking in, or letting out, or up, or down! Mea culpa.
Kissing the hem of the ten oldest in religion's habit in Refectory, reverently, with awe and true humility.
Placing the scapular, the Yoke of the Lord, every day with a willingness to embrace and rejoice in that Yoke.
Yes, He suffered. Our one day of bridals, crowns, rings and such like do not detract from all the other days of joy in the penitential aspects of the Holy Habit!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1319044039' post='2323744']
Re the above.
Oh those beautiful veils - that pull on your neck, rub on your head and are often too tight and hurt or too lose and fall off.
Bare feet. Lovely in summer. A penance in winter.
Darning, and darning, and darning for My Lady Poverty. Darned sheets that scratch. Darned underwear that rubs, Holes on holes that WILL not mend! Clothing that is too hot in summer, not warm enough in the Monastery in winter. Worn bits on the knees of EVERYTHING. Sr Seamstress who regards you with a jaundiced eye when the tunic needs taking in, or letting out, or up, or down! Mea culpa.
Kissing the hem of the ten oldest in religion's habit in Refectory, reverently, with awe and true humility.
Placing the scapular, the Yoke of the Lord, every day with a willingness to embrace and rejoice in that Yoke.
Yes, He suffered. Our one day of bridals, crowns, rings and such like do not detract from all the other days of joy in the penitential aspects of the Holy Habit!
[/quote]

Vee--You made an excellent point above, and I had a comment composed in my head. But, I thought maximillion's post made a point not too different than the one I was going to make--and she said much better.

Vee--Are you sure you're not secretly a Passionist at heart? Even if the Community in Whitesville, KY does not appeal to you (although I personally like some of their customs very much), the Passionist community in Ellisville, MO is much more "hidden" and has customs such as bars in the chapel and parlor--note that's "bars" not a bar :beer: --and rising at midnight each nght for prayers, etc.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1318991634' post='2323468']
The pics are lovely. It seems to me that the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary wear the gowns too, but I am not sure. Does anyone know?

Ignatius, of course you are right in what you said about discerners and gowns. Personally I would go to whatever order God wants regardless of such things, but at the same time I am very glad that they do use the symbolism of the dress, and later, the profession ring. I think that all women have a desire to make themselves beautiful for their beloved, and the wearing of the gown is a way to express the desire for internal beauty to please the Beloved.
[/quote]

They do! I can't find the pictures, but I definitely had some at some point...

BTW, I though you'd like to know that Sr. John-Mark Maria, PCPA of Our Lady of Solitude Monastery outside of Phoenix will be making her first profession of vows on the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. YIPEE :dance5:

MarysLittleFlower

I also would not reject an order because they don't have the wedding gowns, wedding rings, etc, it's just beautiful symbolism and if they do have it, that's just another thing to look forward to. If they dont, then that's okay. It's not the most important part, - the most important part is the spiritual reality.

I also love the orders where they wear the crown of thorns... that's beautiful also! it shows that the religious can share in the Passion.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I was thrilled when I learned that the RSMs receive wedding rings when they profess their vows. I forget whether it's temporary or perpetual profession. Anyway, it's not a deal breaker for me. I was perfectly set on entering the Carmelites DCJ -- who do not wear wedding rings (never have either). I just love the tradition. :love:

InPersonaChriste

[size=4][color=#FFFFFF][b]e Murphy[/b][/color][/size][size=4][color=#FFFFFF][b] Anne-Marie Murphy[/b][/color][/size]

[img]http://icrsp.org/IMAGES-APOSTOLATS/IMAGES-2010/Gricigliano/Prise-Habit/VL3W6326.jpg[/img]

Mademoiselle Anne-Marie Murphy (adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus)

[img]http://icrsp.org/IMAGES-APOSTOLATS/IMAGES-2010/Gricigliano/Prise-Habit/VL3W6377.jpg[/img]

[img]http://icrsp.org/IMAGES-APOSTOLATS/IMAGES-2010/Gricigliano/Prise-Habit/VL3W6421.jpg[/img]

[img]http://icrsp.org/IMAGES-APOSTOLATS/IMAGES-2010/Gricigliano/Prise-Habit/VL3W6457.jpg[/img]

Now Sister Anne Marie of the Immaculate Conception

Edited by InPersonaChriste

Did the Adoratrices have anyone enter the novitiate this year? I always look forward to their pictures de prise d'habit but I didn't see any for 2011

IgnatiusofLoyola

The Adoratrices SHOULD have at least one new novice this year. There was an American woman who kept a blog of her discernment who, as far as I know, entered the Adoratrices about this time last year (give or take a month either way). So, I'd expect that if she persevered, she'd have become a novice by now, or about now.

Funny, I thought we HAD seen the Adoratrices' 2011 picture for novices, because remember looking at a picture and wondering what the woman in the blog looked like, and hoping she was one of the new novices. If someone else can't find the pictures easily, I'll do some nosing around. One thing--the Adoratrices have another name (which escapes me), but aren't they the ones in Italy with a black habit but a gorgeous blue cappa? (The Carmelites probably call the cappa something else.) I'm pretty sure the think the pictures were posted under the other name. (And then there was a dialogue because a poster felt the church where the ceremony took place was "over the top" in terms of being lavish.) Remember that conversation?

I'm rambling but I hope this helps.....

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1319410554' post='2325863']
I know them as adorers. and yep you're right, they have the blue cape.
[/quote]

Yeah, they have another name, something with Sovereign and King in it. I'll do some nosing around.

Well that is the English name

In French the institute is referred to as [b]Institut du Christ Roi Souverain Prêtre [/b]The sisters are referred to as [b]Adoratrices du Cœur Royal de Jésus-Christ Souverain Prêtre[/b]

In English the institute is [b]Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest[/b] and the sisters are [b]Sister Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus.[/b]

Edited by HopefulBride